It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another college, another speaker, another cry for censorship

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Who actually is against free speech?

The ones calling for her to not speak, obviously.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Dont conflate Antifa with the liberals, espeically those at Berkeley.

Where did I mention liberals? I said college campus weenies because there seems to be quite a few wusses on campuses these days who cannot stomach someone with a differing viewpoint then theirs speaking.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So that university is a government entity?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: DBCowboy

I found this rather ironic.

“I mean, it’s just nuts. It makes no sense. It’s crazy to have this woman be the person who’s going to speak to the students,” Hikind said.

Does this individual believe that whatever the speaker may say will hold some sway? Perhaps they also think that those minds can not think for themselves.

IMO this statement highlights what exactly is wrong with the struggle on freedom of speech. In their minds, they think they should be the arbiter on who hears what because of how the listener might interpret the words.

For example, "let me filter what you hear!" While the motives may be subjectively right, it is inherently WRONG! Coddling and filtering needs to stop. Free speech is critical in that and if our society intends on advancing at all.

That was very well put!

link   

Oh I guess you haven't read about Berkeley.

link   

a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Why do you ignore the part where I said he made the other threads accusing us of silencing the conservative voices?

What does conservatives even have to do with it? Why even say that word? That just shows me that you see this through partisan lenses, and i fear you don't even realize it.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

So that university is a government entity?

Who cares what it is? People who cannot tolerate differing viewpoints are cowards.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Oh I guess you haven't read about Berkeley.

No, I am completely oblivious to the news since I haven't left my veal box in years.

What does that have to do with you trying to make this a partisan issue by telling me not to confuse liberals with other protesters?

link   
If I understand this right, the occasion is as a featured commencement speaker not a mere speaking engagement. As such, I think it would be more disappointing to those that worked so hard to pass to this level and graduate to have to decide not to attend. This event if FOR the student body, the entire student body. It represents a culmination of their own, and EARNED, years of effort to graduate.

If this was a mere speaking engagement, would say let her speak and those that disagree can decide for themselves how to respond (protest in person or refuse to attend). But, to be forced not to attend your commencement, a once in a lifetime event for most I am sure. It is not equal to a random guest speaker IMO.

link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

"Pushing the narrative".....*sigh*. Our freedom of speech is the most important thing we have left in this country, something that is being chipped away at day after day. It's not a narrative, it is a fundamental right of being an American. It is the reason my parents immigrated to this country in the 50s. It is the reason we can get on this site and post what we do. It is the reason why we can still find things out, good or bad, and make up our own minds.

Narrative? Or constitutional right, one which I hold more dear than the others?

You have the freedom to post what you want, and the freedom to actually show that even those who have cognitive dissonance and try to disguise it as legitimate query have a voice. With every post you make, you further support the OP, even though you're doing your best to make him look like he has some kind of agenda.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

*facepalm*
I was talking about the OP. His tendency to paint the liberals with a broad brush. His many threads show you that. The OP is the one who is looking through partisan lenses.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

The OP is making this a bipartisan issue as he has done in many, many threads. That's my point.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Oh, I'm so bringing this up over drinks lol.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

The First Amendment protects you from the government, not from each other.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The OP is making this a bipartisan issue as he has done in many, many threads. That's my point.

If you say so. Seems despite your distaste for the topic you are right in the middle of it.

I obviously disagree, as do most of the posters in the thread.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Really? Wow. Just.....wow. I saw no partisanship in the OP's post. I would say stop while you're behind but, you know....free speech and all that. Carry on with your partisan witch-hunt.

link   

The First Amendment protects you from the government, not from each other.

Right because nothing says freedom to infringe the rights of private citizens that hold absolutely no sovereign power over anyone else.

edit on 1-5-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   

Just read his threads. But anyway nobody is against her right to free speech. Oh and the First Amendment only protect you from the government.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Oh, I'm so bringing this up over drinks lol.

That entails you finally meeting up for said drinks.

At that point I welcome a conversational free for all.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Much to the consternation of some, I will try to chronicle every instance of suppression of free speech where ever it may be found.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join