It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another college, another speaker, another cry for censorship

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

"I don't like this person!" "He's bad!" "Go away!" Yep, so much better than intelligent rebuttal. Something the left has never figured out is that suppression most often has the opposite effect.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: neo96

You think a peaceful protest will not accomplish anything?

What does it accomplish ?

Give me an example ?

And don't use the hippy,flower power, free love generation running around saying 'Damn the man'.

Cause they are the man now INFRINGING civil liberties of anyone that get's in their way.
edit on 2-5-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

The Antifa you mean? Yeah I agree. They do the opposite effect.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I gave you an example. Planned Parenthood protests. It got the government to look into it.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

And I clearly said.

That was a state issue that was an exercise in futlity.

Need I quote it ?
edit on 2-5-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Don't have to quote it. I'm trying to understand why you think peaceful protests are not protected speech.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Peaceful protest is an oxymoron.

Here's the definition.

1. an expression or declaration of objection, disapproval, or dissent, often in opposition to something a person is powerless to prevent or avoid: a protest against increased taxation.

www.dictionary.com...

I reawaken the Sisphysus comparison.

He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it come back to hit him, repeating this action for eternity.

en.wikipedia.org...

Protest is intolerance.

I ask who do people?

What do people really hate ?

The object of their disgust or just themselves.

And it is HATE.

People don't 'protest' out of benevolence towards their fellow man, but seek power over them.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

declaration of objection, disapproval, or dissent

Is that not a form of free speech? I can tell you that you are wrong or that I disapprove of your behavior and I'd be well within my right.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

No, the suppression of speakers in this case and at Berkeley among others by the left (with the gleeful assistance of ANTIFA) has brought these speakers more notoriety than they ever could have achieved on their own. Do you think that any bible belt conservative had even heard of Milo Y. before Berkeley? Now he's their poster child for conservative tolerance and diversity. The LEFT did that, nobody else.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Thanks for proving my point about making this a bipartisan issue, thus inflaming the issue, dividing us further. No not everyone on the left are like that. I am a liberal and I condemn Antifa.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Neo, it's still free speech. You have the right to freely speak in protest against something. That's free speech, and it's protected speech.

What you don't have the right to do is silence the speech with which you disagree, but you still have the RIGHT to speak in disagreement.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I have to say that that women Sarsour is a thorn in our nations national security and should be in the list of undesirables.

She is a self appointed pro Islamic and NY is paving her way into a power that she doesn't deserve and should never have.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Show me where the liberal protesters made a protective ring around the conservative students at Berkeley to keep them from getting attacked or pepper sprayed by antifa and I'll concede your point.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I was referring to Milo's appearance at Berkeley. You know, supporting free speech always, not just when it suits your agenda. Were they willing to do the same for Ann Coulter? I didn't see anyone stepping up for her, did you?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

abc7news.com...
video.foxnews.com...=show-clips

And many more. BTW if I was there I would have tried to protect people from Antifa and try to chase them out, despite it being dangerous. I fully support Milo's and Ann's right to speech and I am a liberal. I am sorry that you are blinded by the right-wing media about the bipartisan issue.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

abc7news.com...
video.foxnews.com...=show-clips

And many more. BTW if I was there I would have tried to protect people from Antifa and try to chase them out, despite it being dangerous. I fully support Milo's and Ann's right to speech and I am a liberal. I am sorry that you are blinded by the right-wing media about the bipartisan issue.

The headline reads: PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATIONS AT UC BERKELEY AFTER COULTER CANCELLATION? So, successfull suppression of one voice paves the way for peaceful demonstrations about free speech? My brain hurts, I better take my partisan a$$ somewhere else.

p.s. sorry for the delayed response, my internet connection went down (I blame the left)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Nobody expected it to happen. So that's why the protest happened after.
But anyway been nice debating with you. Sorry for being silly last night. Was drunk.

edit on 5/2/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

No worries, been there done that. At any rate, bipartisanship would be a great thing but I think we can both agree the chasm is wide.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Basically stop making threads or whatever making this a bipartian issue and focus on the real issue. Let us work together.

The OP has in no way made this a partian issue. In fact, the only person doing that is you. Despite having this explained muliple times by many different people, you still persist with this non-sense.

Its abundently clear you have no real understanding of free speech. As Les put it, "a fair weather friend to free speech".

Now i guess you haven't picked up on this since pretty much everything you bring here is false naratives, but if it seems to you, like these threads about free speech are partisan attempts to divide us, then re read all of them and find the common theme: All these cries for censorship come from the left. Thats why it seems partisan.

Comparing private property, such as ats to free speech is just plain stupid. If you have a job, there are limitations to what you can say and how you can express yourself while on company time and/or the property. Its not censorship, its policy. Ats is private property that we are all lucky enough to be able to use for free. How things operate and how we use this space is up to them. If you violate policy then can and will remove you. Please stop with this non-sense bs. You have contributed nothing to this thread but ignorance and frustration. Contribute to the topic.

Free speech is something we all have. Protesting is also a protected right and should be. But attacking people walking into an event of their own free will on private property, or destroying public or private property in what amounts to a giant tempertantrum is not free speech. Its censorship through fear mongering.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join