It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona woman discovers note from 'Chinese prisoner' in purse bought at Walmart

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I just have to say -

The conservatives in this thread sound snipping heartless.

I'm a conservative myself, but I'm nothing like you cold-hearted folk.

"It's not real." Plug your eyes and ears.

Abuse is real, people. You same lot hate how Islam destroys people, but you don't care how the Chinese are treated?

The hypocrisy is too much for me. You know it's real and yet you're pretending it's not. It's not even about the note. It's all about your wallets.

Princes and Princesses always mad about snowflakes, but when your wallet is affected, you start to look awful pretty.

These are the times when I wonder if people just side with a political party because they're mindless drones instead of human beings with real convictions.
edit on 5/2/2017 by TarzanBeta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

But, I was a lefty when I did that heartless stuff. I was just showing a scenario where it could have been hoaxed. People do hate their jobs and do stupid stuff at times.

Maybe you read something I skimmed over.. I didn't get a political vibe from this thread.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
I just have to say -

Abuse is real, people. You same lot hate how Islam destroys people, but you don't care how the Chinese are treated?

The hypocrisy is too much for me. You know it's real and yet you're pretending it's not. It's not even about the note. It's all about your wallets.

Princes and Princesses always mad about snowflakes, but when your wallet is affected, you start to look awful pretty.

These are the times when I wonder if people just side with a political party because they're mindless drones instead of human beings with real convictions.

Says the guys who just went left/right. SMH

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Abuse is real, people.

Abuse is real--but, there's nothing to show that this specific abuse is factual, or even originated from China. Now, I'm not a Conservative, but I'm responding because I did note that one cannot just assume at face value that this is a legit, authentic cry for help from an imprisoned Chinese person in a Chinese prison. I did, however, note that it's entirely possible that it is legit, as it wouldn't be the first report ever of horrific treatment of Chinese citizens by their government, but more proof is necessary than just assuming it's real based on feelings.

You same lot hate how Islam destroys people, but you don't care how the Chinese are treated?
That's a false equivalency that paints a whole lot of people with a broad brush.

How do KNOW it's real? Knowing implies that there is substantial proof of its authenticity. Where is that proof? Even Walmart can't verify the origin of the note--do you have knowledge that Walmart does not? If so, you should share it with them so that they stop using that supplier of goods for their store. To do anything less would be snipping heartless, wouldn't you agree?

I have real convictions, real empathy, and real sympathy, but I also demand proof for extraordinary claims--in fact, the old cliché is that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. We have no evidence in this case that this particular claim in the note is factual--it's only real if we want to believe and feel that it's real. Belief and feelings aren't enough for me in this instance, for this particular claim.

Show me proof, and then I'll change my mind. You claim that it's real--prove it. The onus is now on you, since you chose to be so rudely judgmental, unless you're willing to admit that it's entirely possible that this note is not authentic.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The moral of the story...

Dont do something to get thrown in prison. Prison sucks and its supposed too..

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

But, I was a lefty when I did that heartless stuff. I was just showing a scenario where it could have been hoaxed. People do hate their jobs and do stupid stuff at times.

Maybe you read something I skimmed over.. I didn't get a political vibe from this thread.

I pay enough attention here to know peoples' political alliances.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

I just have to say -

Says the guys who just went left/right. SMH

No. Says someone with a heart.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

There are no political alliances, only momentary political agreements. Cons and Dems are both on their way out as far as past pursuits go. All of this disruption is being perpetrated by a massive centerist movement that only chooses a side out of necessity. Third party votes are a waste when there are no third party candidates worth backing.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Since there is no way to prove authenticity.

And political hacktavism runs rampant in this country.

And Walmart is the great Satan.

I'm having a hard time believing it.

Too convenient IMO.

China has officially abolished slavery several times — in the 14th century, in the 18th, and again in the 20th. But it never really took: China’s Communist dictators operate more than a thousand 1,000 slave-labor camps.

The camps are called “laogai,” a contraction of “láodòng gǎizào,” which means “reform through labor.” They were conceived under Mao; unlike Stalin’s gulags, they never closed — though the CCP has tried to abolish the name “laogai.” In the Nineties, it redesignated the camps “prisons.” The conditions, though, don’t seem to have changed. Our picture of life in the laogai is murky, but here’s what has been reported: The prisoners are given uniforms and shoes. They have to purchase their own socks, underwear, and jackets. There are no showers, no baths, and no beds. Prisoners sleep on the floor, in spaces less than a foot wide. They work 15-hour days, followed by two hours of evening indoctrination; at night they’re not allowed to move from their sleeping-spots till 5:30 rolls around, when they’re woken for another day of hard labor. Fleas, bedbugs, and parasites are ubiquitous. The prisoners starve on meager supplies of bread, gruel, and vegetable soup. Once every two weeks they get a meal of pork broth.

The camps currently billet between 3 and 5 million convicts — real criminals along with thought criminals guilty of opposing Communism, promoting freedom, or practicing religion — though the process doesn’t wait on conviction; Chinese law permits the police to hold anyone for four years before judicial proceedings. At any given time — according to the Laogai Research Foundation — 500,000 Chinese citizens are in “arbitrary detention.” If a prisoner does get a hearing, he enters a legal system controlled, capriciously, by the Communist Party.

National Review

I have no way of knowing if it's accurate - but there's more out there. So much more

I think it's interesting that your first reaction to a story like this is that it's a conspiracy when it's really not that incredible of a story

Like you - I have no idea if it's true or not, but I don't see why it's not possible

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

That is a fantastic docu, thanks for posting it. I hope readers will realize that a note such as the one found by a Walmart shopper reflects REALITY for these people.

People who think it's nonsense would do well to zip it unless they have PROOF that it is not happening. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of how the world works would realize this is a real problem.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
You assume your government won't kill or enslave your family . How quaint.
a reply to: neo96

edit on 5/3/2017 by fomalhaut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Is other stores taking over and growing, General Dollars and or Dollar store are sprouting all over cities, competing with the groceries giants.

This is true. They are competing with both grocery stores and Walmart. I shop at one very nearby. It's not too bad, and definitely less expensive than the alternatives.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
The moral of the story...

Dont do something to get thrown in prison. Prison sucks and its supposed too..

You don't have to do much to get thrown in prison in China. And if you do hope they don't want your organs!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Wallace had a Chinese-speaking person translate the note to English. The letter read:

"Inmates in the Yingshan Prison in Guangxi, China are working 14 hours daily with no break/rest at noon, continue working overtime until 12 midnight, and whoever doesn't finish his work will be beaten. Their meals are without oil and salt. Every month, the boss pays the inmate 2000 yuan, any additional dishes will be finished by the police. If the inmates are sick and need medicine, the cost will be deducted from the salary. Prison in China is unlike prison in America, horse cow goat pig dog (literally, means inhumane treatment)."

Two other people translated the note to make sure the message was accurate, Wallace added.

Arizona woman discovers note from 'Chinese prisoner' in purse bought at Walmart

So this is an odd story and one that has happened in the past. I do wonder if anyone ever really looks into these things as I can imagine they are true. I can also imagine that if whomever put this note in was caught, they would have quite the beating or possibly be killed because of it. The Chinese culture wants to put a "good foot forward" in the face of those they export to and make sure to keep up appearances.

What does this say about Walmart? Should they have to do an investigation into the practices of this manufacturer, or just let it go as business as usual? I think that the fact this note made it in a shipment to a Walmart here in the US is pretty miraculous. Obviously whomever did QC for the manufacturer missed one as I would think these types of notes are likely commonplace.

That said, how does one combat this other than banning the company from business in the US?

This sounds terrible. I remember hearing of the suicide nets around the factories like FoxCom in China.

Communist China sounds like real hell, it ain't no paradise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join