It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona woman discovers note from 'Chinese prisoner' in purse bought at Walmart

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Wallace had a Chinese-speaking person translate the note to English. The letter read:

"Inmates in the Yingshan Prison in Guangxi, China are working 14 hours daily with no break/rest at noon, continue working overtime until 12 midnight, and whoever doesn't finish his work will be beaten. Their meals are without oil and salt. Every month, the boss pays the inmate 2000 yuan, any additional dishes will be finished by the police. If the inmates are sick and need medicine, the cost will be deducted from the salary. Prison in China is unlike prison in America, horse cow goat pig dog (literally, means inhumane treatment)."

Two other people translated the note to make sure the message was accurate, Wallace added.

Arizona woman discovers note from 'Chinese prisoner' in purse bought at Walmart

So this is an odd story and one that has happened in the past. I do wonder if anyone ever really looks into these things as I can imagine they are true. I can also imagine that if whomever put this note in was caught, they would have quite the beating or possibly be killed because of it. The Chinese culture wants to put a "good foot forward" in the face of those they export to and make sure to keep up appearances.

What does this say about Walmart? Should they have to do an investigation into the practices of this manufacturer, or just let it go as business as usual? I think that the fact this note made it in a shipment to a Walmart here in the US is pretty miraculous. Obviously whomever did QC for the manufacturer missed one as I would think these types of notes are likely commonplace.

That said, how does one combat this other than banning the company from business in the US?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Since there is no way to prove authenticity.

And political hacktavism runs rampant in this country.

And Walmart is the great Satan.

I'm having a hard time believing it.

Too convenient IMO.

edit on 1-5-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Increase spending in R&D for factory automation robots so this type of labor is eliminated. CEOs want slave labor. We just have to make sure it is not human slave labor. Robots seem to have high tolerances for pain.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
wouldnt surprise me.....walmart is the devil..

stores here are closing.. and guess who is gonna be taking their place?

ding ding ding.. walmart
edit on 1-5-2017 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
These reports do the rounds every few months. Over here its notes found in Primark bags or Asda. Most if not all have been proven fake

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I can absolutely see that this is legitimate. Xpatnation.com says the same thing about prisons in China.

Just don't buy at Walmart. Buy fair, even if it means you buy less. But garbage is also a problem sooooooo...

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
To be fair.
Walmart is only responsible for Walmart brands.
If Levi's sells Walmart jeans, Levi's is in charge of manufacturing.
Walmart can insist on certain working conditions but they really can't inspect everything in their supply chain.
Looking at it any other way makes the end consumers just as responsible as the retail store.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well, I see that aside from paying wages to their prisoners, they are also watching their salt and oil intake.
Seems like they are a caring and compassionate prison.

ETA: yes, sarcasm....
edit on 1-5-2017 by evc1shop because: we need a sarcasm emoji

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

That is interesting but we can not tell if the note is real or not, maybe somebody just want to boycott Walmart.

I don't like Walmart and do not shop in their stores, but they are the main source of cheap items for Americas bargain seekers.

I am sure that China doesn't pamper their inmates and they have no rights while in jail.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

That is interesting but we can not tell if the note is real or not, maybe somebody just want to boycott Walmart.

If i was being held 'prisoner'.

Don't know about other people, but I would tell everyone my name ,and send a message to my family.

edit on 1-5-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I thought about that too.
But how big of a risk is puting your name on a note and then that getting back to the people that are holding you prisoner?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The first rule of being a prisoner.

Use any means necessary to escape.

There's no profit in it for them If I'm dead or unable to work.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: marg6043

If i was being held 'prisoner'.

Don't know about other people, but I would tell everyone my name ,and send a message to my family.

Pretty sure it meant in prison as a prison worker, not just being held prisoner.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

For any 'righteous' cause to work.

Like going after the great Satan.

A movement needs a face to work.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The first rule of being a prisoner.

Use any means necessary to escape.

There's no profit in it for them If I'm dead or unable to work.

How about if they threaten your family?
That's been know to happen before.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

It's the state holding him prisoner. He's an inmate. He has no rights, in China beating is common practice in official country prison.

link   
a reply to: neo96

I know right? I guess the inmate wanted to send a message to the big US and not to his family.

link   
I bet if they analyze the ink on the paper, they'll find out the pen was made in Russia !!

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

How about if they threaten your family?

Can't say.

I've already speculated enough on something that has no veracity.

Which amounts to nothing more than confirmation bias to begin with.

People are free of course to continue with this mental exercise since that's all it is.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

It's the state holding him prisoner. He's an inmate. He has no rights, in China beating is common practice in official country prison.

Probably why China doesn't have the prison population of America.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join