It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents of Otto Warmbier, US citizen detained in North Korea, want son to be part of negotiations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Piss on him. He is a man not a little boy so let him face the consequences of his actions. Mommy needs to learn that just because her kid is stupid that is no reason should be included in making policy.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

these stories try to tug at heart strings too.

showing pics of him playing soccer and at some school dance....

im still thinking it is not the US's responsibility to negotiate his release.

he went there he committed a crime there. what did he think was going to happen for #ing with a pic of kim il in north korea? you know

reminds me of that dude from the early 90's that vandalized a car with spray paint in singapore and got the punishment of being caned.
it was all over the news...it was like an international deal...in the end the US did step up to some degree cause they got it reduced from 4 blasts to 6.
same kind of deal

i did watch a video just today of a dude getting his ass(literally his ass) caned.....looks to be about one of the most painful things ever but i guess thats the breaks.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: av8r007
a reply to: Vasa Croe

# that, he's an American, we used to fly god damn commando missions to break free our citizens held abroad. Grenada being a great example. Let's get him out of there, now, not tomorrow, now! If he didn't commit a real crime, such as murder, robbery, and something else that is heinous our government should be doing EVERYTHING to get him back to the United States. Stealth prison break, send in the Navy Seals, who cares, let's get our countryman back home!

A commando mission into a NK prison to spring little Otto is a really stupid idea. You watch too many movies. Likely, everyone ends up dead, including Otto, and this proves he was an agent of the US. He may have to wait this one out for a few more years and get really educated in commerce and economics [his fields of study].

From Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org...
"On January 2, Warmbier was arrested while in the process of departing North Korea from Pyongyang airport. The other guests in his tour group all left the country without incident. His crime was called an "act of hostility against the state" by the North Korean government. On February 29, 2016, he confessed to stealing a piece of North Korean propaganda to take back to the United States as a "trophy" for someone from his hometown church who offered to pay him for it with the gift of a car worth $10,000. The poster said, "Let's arm ourselves strongly with Kim Jong-il's patriotism!" Harming such items with the name or image of one of their leaders is considered a serious crime in North Korea. Kim Jong-il was the father of current leader Kim Jong-un.

On March 16, two hours after US envoy Bill Richardson met with two North Korean diplomats from the United Nations office to press for Warmbier's release, Warmbier was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor. His confession noted:

I never, never should have allowed myself to be lured by the United States administration to commit a crime in this country, I wish that the United States administration never manipulate people like myself in the future to commit crimes against foreign countries. I entirely beg you, the people and government of the DPRK, for your forgiveness. Please! I made the worst mistake of my life!"

So, he stole the poster for a $10,000 car, a purely economic theft, and got caught and sentenced. If the parents need to blame someone other than idiot-boy, why don't they blame the person who offered the car as payment? Note that the "confession" admits that it was the "United States administration" that "lured" him. [Obama and his penchant for collecting political posters did it.]

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If he went to NK by his own choice then he is an idiot.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
Sure if they do really stupid things.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Piss on him. He is a man not a little boy so let him face the consequences of his actions. Mommy needs to learn that just because her kid is stupid that is no reason should be included in making policy.

Wow....didnt expect that from you....

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddessI don't know.
-Alee

Two trains of thought. If North Korea hasn't disrespected you. Don't provoke someone who hasn't done something to you.

Second. I think you should judge people as they would judge you. If it were a North Korean young adult who pulled the same stunt in the US, the US would have let him go by now even with our strained diplomatic ties. All he did was pull down a banner. He's not a 40 year old. Young people do stupid thing.

But North Korea seems to be pretty fair. North Korea only kept Kenneth Bae for two or three years. And when they release him he will be more thoughtful and mature.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It's a shame what happened to this kid, but It's one kid with horrible decision making. If we can come to a deal hopefully get him tossed in with it. One person though shouldn't weigh at all on a decision when the stakes are an unstable lunatic with nukes, looking to develop advanced delivery systems.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: buster2010

Wow....didnt expect that from you....

Why? This guy did everything of his own free will. When you knowingly break the law you face the consequences of your actions. You know that whole personal responsibility thing.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i didnt say that and i dont see it that way

when youre stomping around in other countries yards you have to roll how they do.
there is no way this dude did not know the risk he was taking. he took it and got popped.

the US not intervening and trying to negotiate does not mean they are abandoning him

Countries usually try to get their citizens back. For example, Mexico sends US prisoners back to the US routinely when we ask for them. There's only a few cases where they haven't (either we didn't ask, or they refused). It's one of the main functions of embassies and in nations where we don't have embassies, the state department. The US for it's part also deports people to their home countries in criminal cases.

There's nothing at all unusual about this. One of the core jobs of governments is to protect it's citizens when traveling. We have the ability to get this kid home, and we should use it.

And I would argue that the kid didn't know the risk he was taking. He was what, 18? Hardly an age known for having solid mental reasoning. If he understood the risk, he never would have circumvented a travel ban and gone. Furthermore when he did go, he neer would have done something so stupid. Finally, in court he never would have acted the way he did. It all suggests that he really didn't know what he was getting into.

It's not like we're talking about a defector here either, just a kid doing something stupid in another country. I'm sure NK wouldn't hesitate to use him as a bargaining chip. We could likely get him back for something small. We did it before such as the Powers-Pryor-Abel exchange. Random civilians don't go for much. Give NK more than they'll get from him in labor for anoher 14 years, and they'll make the economic choice to let him go.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: TinySickTears

So you think governments should abandon their citizens?

Why are those citizens the USA responsibility when they are on another nations SOVEREIGN turf?

Travel to other countrys is not a right its a privilege. Of you dont wont the host countrys laws DONT #ING GO THERE.

Because he's an American citizen. Nations should not give up on their citizens. I feel the same way when others come to the US and commit crimes. Handle the civil offenses here, send them back home for the criminal ones.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
a reply to: Aazadan
Sure if they do really stupid things.

Does that apply inside our borders as well? The government can exclude you from various mandated functions if you do something stupid?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I've never been convinced he actually stole the sign. Seriously, he "confessed" to stealing the sign to trade for a Buick back home. A BUICK? I mean, that doesn't make sense at all. Maybe to North Korean public it make sense but here in America it reeks of stinky cheese. He was so obviously lying about the Buick I always found the whole sign stealing accusation might have been fabricated.
edit on 5/1/17 by Ameilia because: spelling

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
do they really think this is a great idea to involve their son in this? are they trying to make him a sacrifice on purpose? ..sometimes it's better to shut up and not draw attention to someone you want to protect if you want them to live.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Being smart by getting good grades and academic accolades does not always mean someone is smart..or has common sense.
What kind of idiot goes to NK and does anything out of line?..maybe a sheltered idiot..I dunno.
Can't blame the family for fighting to get their dumbass back though..I sure would.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Being smart by getting good grades and academic accolades does not always mean someone is smart..or has common sense.
What kind of idiot goes to NK and does anything out of line?..maybe a sheltered idiot..I dunno.
Can't blame the family for fighting to get their dumbass back though..I sure would.

It's hard to understand oppression if you've never experienced it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join