It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

By What Measure Would You Consider America Is Great Again

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Terrific post. I love the 3 we lead the world in:

Number of adults incarcerated per capita
Number of adults who think angels are real
Defense spending

But this one:

"We wage wars on poverty not poor people"

sounds like SJW propaganda.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

What has to happen, by what measure, would you accept MAGA to actually have happened? What has to change to make America great again? What is important to you?

I'm sure it will vary, depending on whom you ask, but I will consider America great again when we stop the wars, quit spending trillions on the military/Homeland security, ensure everyone has health coverage, reinstate regulations in the financial/banking industry and change our approach to the education system.

If we do not focus on issues such as those, we will continue to be a giant #hole that flushes money down the toilet and the citizens of this country will continue in their decline.
edit on 1-5-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

By what measure? Because I think we are already the greatest per capita.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

By what measure? Because I think we are already the greatest per capita.

Ask Sessions. He seems to disagree.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

After 60 years of guns over butter the lack of butter is taking its toll.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Imagine how quickly the government would collapse without any tax income coming in.

I would be the first to throw an Irish Wake for that event.

While you do that, I'll be tricking my truck out with Mad Max accessories for the coming turf wars across the country from destabilized authority.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
While you do that, I'll be tricking my truck out with Mad Max accessories for the coming turf wars across the country from destabilized authority.

You're right down the road, come on up to my Fuhrer Bunker, it's stockpiled with everything a fearful citizen needs to enjoy epicurean delights in a dystopian society. Plus as a Mason I don't get FEMAed like the rest of the peasants.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Oh the irony. Yes it would be the end of the world if we didn't pay so much income tax. How ever did this country get along before 1913? Pffft those people must have been idiots right?I mean just look at all the good that has come since then and interesting enough, the Federal Reserve was created the same year. Hmmmm.......

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: introvert

After 60 years of guns over butter the lack of butter is taking its toll.

Indeed. The American people seem to be worn-out and stressed.

Some things need to change.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Sustained GDP of over 5, that would be nice. That takes care of a multitude of other issues. Even Maxine Waters, the leader of the Democratic Party would have to praise Trump.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Which America are we talking about?

America has warts. Lots and lots of warts.

So does everywhere else.

There is no utopian society anywhere on the planet.

Great? No.

Better than a lot of places?

Heck yeah.

Better than everywhere else?

That depends.

Some here want bigger government and fewer freedoms. They consider that great.

Some here want smaller government and more freedoms. They consider that great.

No matter how "great" you make a place, it's always going to suck for someone.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

Oh the irony. Yes it would be the end of the world if we didn't pay so much income tax. How ever did this country get along before 1913? Pffft those people must have been idiots right?I mean just look at all the good that has come since then and interesting enough, the Federal Reserve was created the same year. Hmmmm.......

So I'm sure you will be providing me a detailed tax analysis that will account for all lost income from severely reducing to eliminating the federal income tax to justify laughing at me for suggesting the government would collapse without any income. Though I won't hold my breath. I doubt you've worked out the math and just think "less taxes = GOOD!" like an ignorant liberal who thinks that SNAP is free food.

By the way, I don't know if you noticed this or not, but it is no longer 1913 and things have progressed QUITE significantly over the last 100+ years. More so than any other century gap in history. Just because it worked in the 19th century, doesn't mean it will work today.
edit on 1-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hey, don't harsh my buzz...

Business is great for a change, and we get to have a new WAR,,,,what's not to like?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Bluntone22

Then what indicators?

Well the biggest problem is that numbers can be made to say pretty much anything when put in the right context. Thats why i dont like the government's indicators.

I look at investments in businesses like expansion.
Purchasing power of the dollar.
The unemployment numbers dont mean anything if people are underemployed.
When we have more and more people on foodstamps then to many are underemployed.
Personal debt is also a huge indicator.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I think Ron Paul had it pretty good.

I want to abolish the income tax, but I don’t want to replace it with anything. About 45 percent of all federal revenue comes from the personal income tax. That means that about 55 percent — over half of all revenue — comes from other sources, like excise taxes, fees, and corporate taxes. We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990s.

By the way, I don't know if you noticed this or not, but it is no longer 1913 and things have progressed QUITE significantly over the last 100+ years.

Yes, the government continues to grow and grow and grow....

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Because that is government's sole purpose, to become larger.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

The Federal Reserve and the creation of money is a big problem. The system is rigged so the US will never be able to get out of debt.

But I do want to comment on something you said about getting rid of federal taxes. You can't talk about taxes without also talking about the cost of living. I think one of the big problems we have in this country is not enough competition to wring out inefficiencies of exorbitant CEO pay. Hence, the American people are paying too much for everything. I have found many people simply do not agree with me that we have a problem with companies overcharging for products and services. I think the problem is caused by lobbyists. The lobbyists force the politicians to pass laws creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. The cartels and monopolies are killing the American people.

I agree with you having corrupt inefficient government is a problem. We all want good government at a reasonable cost. I get that most people think government IS the problem. I think the corporations ARE the government and corporations are the problem.

So here's my point. It really doesn't matter what you pay in taxes. What really matters is the purchasing power of your take home pay.

The other problem we have in this country is the lack of greed by the worker making the median wage. What makes money valuable is not when it is concentrated into a few hands like we have now. What makes money valuable, in my way of thinking, is when the worker making the media wage has LOTS of cash in his pockets, or in other words, his purchasing power is very high. When the average Joe is greedy about having money then all money is at its greatest value. But today money is not worth very much because everything costs so God damn much.

edit on 1-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I agree with most of that. Its called corporatism.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Lol. You sound like Steave Mnuchin telling us that his ridiculous tax cut suggestions "will pay for themselves". Ron Paul saying it too doesn't make the math magically work out any better either. You know that Trump and Goldman Sach's tax plan is being projected to balloon the federal deficit by $4 trillion at a minimum? They aren't even being as extreme as you are being.

Ugh... I'm talking about computers. One of the most revolutionary developments in human history. Computers and the way they change interactions have greatly complicated international relations, government work, and everything in between, and those intracacies grow more complex exponentially (that means that as little ago as the late 1990's is outdated analysis to base current funding levels on).
edit on 1-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Need to make the world great before America, or any other nation, can be considered to be great again.

Fact of the matter is that we exist in global environment where communication and interactions between nations has become essential to our continued way of life.

Progress now depends on our interaction at a world level as apposed to the nation states of days gone by, essentially the stage simply got larger.

If our respective societies wish to be considered great again by history, they should endeavor to design and construct a space elevator. Ushering in new industry and technology which will enable colonization and industrialization of low Earth orbit, the Moon and eventually Mars and the other outer Moons of our system.

There is our new golden age right there but it will never happen whilst our respective nations depend on fossil fuels, attempt to police the planet, wage numerous proxy conflict all over the globe, and fight amungst ourselves over petty religious indifference.
edit on 1-5-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join