It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would E.T. Just Set Off On A Journey And Hope To Find Life ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
After several experiences of witnessing UFO's i have no doubt that The Earth is possibly being visited.

However, due to the vastness of our home galaxy, let alone The Universe, i have asked myself the question, how do they know we are here ?
After all we have zero evidence about if and how they have found us.

I can't imagine for one minute that E.T. would just set off from home and hope they would find life elsewhere. The chance of just " coming across Earth " the odds must be astronomical. Some people say they have picked up our radio signals, but how far have those signals travelled ? Not far enough i would imagine.

Interlocking universes with some access to each other ? I don't think so, as again they have to find us.

Time travel ? I think not.

Therefore if they have found us, then by what means ?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'd say with the extreme cost of resources of Extraterrestrial exploration, that due diligence would be used to establish the parameters of the locations of the most promise. So No, It's doubtful it's that haphazard.
edit on 30-4-2017 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
No way to answer..
We need to know how many we deal with..

If we deal with 1000´s yes perhaps
Or do we deal with billions of races..
Or infinite numbers..
Surely some would go explore..
And surely some would have the tech to do so..
Can we even understand or dream up the tech a million years more advance race then us ?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
You mean like 'go where no man has ever gone before'?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Kepler has discovered thousands of habitable planets so I'd imagine a civilization more advanced would have discovered more and have the ability to detect life on other planets.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If humanity had never set off on boats over the 'edge of the world' there would be a lot more uninhabited islands.

I would imagine any species that has mastered space travel will have a few individuals doing the same.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Here's another angle. Why assume they were looking for us in the first place? Intelligent life from elsewhere could've simply been looking for specific resources & stumbled across us. Or maybe the ones that reached Earth got lost or were fleeing from something/someone else.

For all we know, we could've simply encountered their version of a private mining firm that was working outside of its licensed galaxy. Because of their profession, they might not even have the tools to interact with us properly.

Imagine if a small illegal mining operation in the Amazon rain forest ran into a small colony of ogres. Depending on the perceived threat, they might flee or stick around long enough to get the resources they were initially after. How many humans try to communicate with the ants or lizards we encounter while on trips?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Kepler has discovered thousands of habitable planets so I'd imagine a civilization more advanced would have discovered more and have the ability to detect life on other planets.

Because of the distances they would be looking into the past.

There is no guarantee that life would still exist on any planet they may have observed. The same for us.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

True. That's why I said advanced.
They could have discovered a way. Also the closer they get to a planet, the shorter into the past they will be able to observe.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Travelling to The Amazon Rain Forest for us, is somewhat different from travelling light years across the galaxy for E.T.

Unless of course they could do so in the same time period, which i would think doubtful.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Would E.T. Just Set Off On A Journey And Hope To Find Life ?

Nope.

Any advanced civilization capable of space flight,interstellar flight,inter galactic flight.

Would have way better 'Google Maps'.

So to speak.

But then again.

First mistake when talking all things ET.

Thinking like an earthling.

Things would be so foreign to us they would be incomprehensible.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

how do they know we are here? I can't imagine for one minute that E.T. would just set off from home and hope they would find life elsewhere.

Well, two possibilities, to start:

First: Suppose they have the capacity to travel long distances with great speed, they they can easily "explore" large areas of the universe.

Second: If they have the technology to successfully navigate "space" and travel such great distances, they likely have the technology to monitor and determine which places in the universe shows signs of life (such as monitoring signals; after all we do send radio signals out into space) so that they could visit.

Because of the distances they would be looking into the past.

There is no guarantee that life would still exist on any planet they may have observed.

No, there isn't. And there is no guarantee the life they find is the life they detected to begin with (such as due to evolution of the species, both biologically or technologically). They could have detected archaic humans or pre-human life but arrive to find modern humans (homo sapiens) with all their technology, for instance.

Who knows? I'd still wager if they can efficiently navigate space, they can cover long distances with a great speed, or through the manipulation of space using advanced technology.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Your huge assumption here involves the "vast interstellar distances of space" and the time warp factor you mentioned of seeing into the past. Neither one of these may be true. Kepler's planets are hundreds of light years away, not millions, so the "looking into the past" issue is really not that great. If the cost and viability of exploration were simply to investigate the lot next door, it wouldn't be much of a burden. And like someone else here alluded to, the "vast distances of oceanic travel" didn't seem to keep our species from inhabiting the entire earth over a relatively short period of time with little to zero technology to help us out. If reality is such that distance is not a real issue, there's your explanation right there. One other minor issue: UFOs do not equal "aliens from space."
edit on 4/30/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

And like someone else here alluded to, the "vast distances of oceanic travel" didn't seem to keep our species from inhabiting the entire earth

And when we did what did we do ? We landed and let ourselves be known to the native inhabitants.

So tell me, when did E.T. let us know they had arrived ? Or did they just come for a " joy ride " ?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Maybe I am assuming too much but I think you are assuming too much OP. Too many factors ignored.

I just think they would do similar things as us like surveying.
edit on 30-4-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Most likely they didn't find us, they were here before we were.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

They have found us....and we wouldnt have a clue what to look for. None. Arms, legs, eyes, flying ships, dimensions?...Maybe they are just min-ute...smaller than ants.

We've no clue

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

We've only just arrived at the point where we can identify similar planets to ours. The list of exoplanets is growing by the month and we're increasingly more able to distinguish the dead worlds from those which could potentially harbour life. In geological terms (epochs), it wasn't so long ago that this was a dead world.

Where will technology take us in the next ten or twenty years? It's conceivable that we'll be able to identify exoplanets and moons that bear the promise of becoming habitable in their futures.

On that basis, I wouldn't be surprised if a speculative advanced civilisation was able to do the same. Would it also be unreasonable for them to estimate their arrivals to coincide with the epoch wherein the alien world transitions towards habitability?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I'm making a point about the intentions of the travelers, equipment of the travelers, intellectual capacity of the travelers, etc. Why should we assume that every ET is a philosophical idealist or seasoned scientist that is searching for life? Why can't they be workers from a functioning society that have goals that have nothing to do with humans?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Aye, it's a tangled knot for the imagination or an equation with missing values.

We tend to assume some visiting intelligence will be sane and rational. It's not a given is it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join