It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More UK troops to be sent to Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

An extra 220 British troops are to be sent to Iraq, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has announced.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Why is it that more countries are pulling their troops out only to replaced by UK troops?

Do not other European countries have a commitment to the Iraqi people and to its allies??

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacemunkey
Why is it that more countries are pulling their troops out only to replaced by UK troops?

Every country that sent troops is recieving a political back lash from the population, this means the politicians will applease the voters by withdrawing troops.
However, in Britain our politicians don't listen to the voters, our troops should be withdrawn in stages over a few months...lets give the Iraqi people back their country.

Do not other European countries have a commitment to the Iraqi people and to its allies??

Like France and Germany, they never wanted the war to happen (rightly so) so they don't need to send troops in my opinion.

[edit on 23-2-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Every country that sent troops is recieving a political back lash from the population, this means the politicians will applease the voters by withdrawing troops.
However, in Britain our politicians don't listen to the voters, our troops should be withdrawn in stages over a few months...lets give the Iraqi people back their country.

the difference is that citizens of other countries are backing their words with actions - i.e. theyre not voting for their government. The UK will still vote for Labour come the next election. Im sure that if Mr.Blair thought that he would lose the vote he would reconsider his position on sending more troops. So i would disagree with your comment about politicans not listening to voters. If the electorate feels this way then they should not vote Labour on election day. But they will.

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Like France and Germany, they never wanted the war to happen (rightly so) so they don't need to send troops in my opinion.

[edit on 23-2-2005 by UK Wizard]

If they were to send troops now, IMO, it would be a courageous move. The war in Iraq now has one purpose - to rebuild Iraq and make it a safe place for Iraqi's to live in. If France, Germany or any other nation who disagreed with the war were to send in troops now, IMO, it would send out a strong message that, although they didn't support the invasion in the first place, they want peace and prosperity for the people of Iraq. And you never know, it may well prove to be a massive step in building bridges with USA as they prove that they can be the bigger person, so to speak.

new topics

join