It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP : ueli steck - alpinist extraordinaire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
news source

wikki primer

obligitory synopsis :

it has been confirmed that ueli steck one of the finest alipinist ever died in an accident in the vicinity of everest base camp while aclimatising for a planned everest assent by a new route .

the ATS rules on threads call for " more " and mr steck certainly deserves more - but i cannot type right now

" forever on the mountain "

edit on 30-4-2017 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The team has collected the scattered parts of the climber’s body

Sounds like a horrible death he suffered from his fall, but climbing alone while still acclimatising isn't the most sensible of things to do in the Himalayas, still tragic though

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
news source

wikki primer

obligitory synopsis :

it has been confirmed that ueli steck one of the finest alipinist ever died in an accident in the vicinity of everest base camp while aclimatising for a planned everest assent by a new route .

the ATS rules on threads call for " more " and mr steck certainly deserves more - but i cannot type right now

" forever on the mountain "

I've watched a boat load of mountaineering documentaries and know his amazing accomplishments. What a shame. But at least he died doing what he loved

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Wow.
First I'm seeing of this.
I recall his many accomplishments as well and do you recall the incident in 2013 with the Sherpas? Quite a ruckus was started then but, I agree with his and his companions conclusions that the Everest culture has likely changed over the years and it is all about the money (BIG) and the paying clients now a days. I'll try to find a link.
Anyway, that's the place that he died. He was returning to that same climb.
He had broken his own record for the 'wall of death' recently and climbed it in under 2 1/2 hours. Unbelievable. For some who may not be familiar, the wall has quite a tragic history and the feat is risking life and limb to say the least.

I have repeatedly asked myself, why I do this. The answer is pretty simple: because I want to do it and because I like it. I don’t like being restricted. When I climb, I feel free and unrestricted; away from any social commitments. This is what I am looking for. I am a public figure. This has gradually happened and I can no longer change it. I have accepted it and the only thing I can do is change my attitude. I have sacrificed some of the lightness of being for it. It doesn’t bother me as long as I can still follow my path. I can no longer do what I want, and I am aware of it, but I still can lead a life, which makes me feel happy and content in the evenings. I still need the liberty to do the things I love doing, though. I don’t worry about other people, and I don’t let them influence me too much. I try to find out what I want to do, and not what other people want me to do.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 1-5-2017 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

www.newyorker.com...
edit on 1-5-2017 by TNMockingbird because: not good with links tis early

new topics

top topics

join