It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

But really. Trump didn't have to settle Trump university.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Lawsuits against big corporations like these are common and frequent. The consumers who file lawsuit almost never get their money back.

The Trump university lawsuit was going nowhere. It was filed in 2010 and Trump only paid them 6 years later after he was elected. If Trump wasn't elected, he would have never settled. The students willingly paid. No one forced them to. It was a stupid decision on their part. They should understand advertisements are all fraudulent and exaggerate the products they advertise. They should have read reviews and consulted with people who have been to Trump university before shelling out 30 grand.

I never watch advertisements. I don't trust advertisements. I would never shell out 30 grand on something just because an advertisement says something advertised is the best product in the world without reading a review and consulting with people who have used that product. I'm not that stupid.

If Trump was not elected, the consumers at Trump university would have never got their money back when Trump dies of old age.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
All very interesting.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

This...

The students willingly paid. No one forced them to. It was a stupid decision on their part. They should understand advertisements are all fraudulent and exaggerate the products they advertise. They should have read reviews and consulted with people who have been to Trump university before shelling out 30 grand.

I hope that's a joke?...

Fraudulent publicity is still a form of fraud. The consumer may not have access to reviews or have the chance to badger other people about it. Fraud is fraud. It's like saying, "Oh, it's okay if John Doe was robbed, it was his fault, he didn't have deterrents, let's blame John Doe and let the robbers roam free". It's the worst logic possible.

What are you trying to pull?

edit on 30-4-2017 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

If Trump wasn't elected, he would have never settled.

But that's exactly why he had to settle before his inauguration. Had he still been in the middle of a major lawsuit the moment he was inaugurated he would have risked impeachment.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Yup, exactly. He woulda have received bad publicity.

edit on 30-4-2017 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

This...

The students willingly paid. No one forced them to. It was a stupid decision on their part. They should understand advertisements are all fraudulent and exaggerate the products they advertise. They should have read reviews and consulted with people who have been to Trump university before shelling out 30 grand.

I hope that's a joke?...

Fraudulent publicity is still a form of fraud. The consumer may not have access to reviews or have the chance to badger other people about it. Fraud is fraud. It's like saying, "Oh, it's okay if John Doe was robbed, it was his fault, he didn't have deterrents, let's blame John Doe and let the robbers roam free". It's the worst logic possible.

What are you trying to pull?

Not only that several watchdog groups brought down pay colleges. Sued for millions and several universities had to relieve all student dept.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
Lawsuits against big corporations like these are common and frequent. The consumers who file lawsuit almost never get their money back.

The Trump university lawsuit was going nowhere. It was filed in 2010 and Trump only paid them 6 years later after he was elected. If Trump wasn't elected, he would have never settled. The students willingly paid. No one forced them to. It was a stupid decision on their part. They should understand advertisements are all fraudulent and exaggerate the products they advertise. They should have read reviews and consulted with people who have been to Trump university before shelling out 30 grand.

I never watch advertisements. I don't trust advertisements. I would never shell out 30 grand on something just because an advertisement says something advertised is the best product in the world without reading a review and consulting with people who have used that product. I'm not that stupid.

If Trump was not elected, the consumers at Trump university would have never got their money back when Trump dies of old age.

When the trump university stuff hit, all trump had to do was roll out 10 or so trump U succcess stories to defuse the whole thing. However there was no one who was successful because of paying 30 grand to take a pick with a trump cardboard cut out...

Ask any teacher what they hate most about trump, and they will say trump university.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

In other words, Trump should've ignored his lawyers & taken his legal advice from random posters on an anonymous web forum? Sounds legit.

a reply to: swanne

Don't forget, a lot of people agree with the "buyer beware" motto. Never assume that people care about consumers.
edit on 30-4-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Yea, except he did settle, and they did get money.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Trump university was established in 2004. Back then there was already facebook. If a business didn't have a facebook page where people post comments and reviews, then it is fraud. The students should have at the very least checked out Trump university's facebook page before shelling out 30 grand.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Trump did not have to pay off those lawsuits, the only reason he did was because he is president and wanted to get rid of the conflict. These people suing him did not have a leg to stand on with this. False statements are being included in advertisement all the time. Let the buyer beware.

Universities everywhere in this country twist statistics to show they are better and make statements to promote the growth of their colleges that are not totally true all the time. Deception runs this country, the head of the beast is in DC. This is not about religion, but the country is run by deceivers, the best deceiver gets into the presidency, there is no disputing that.
edit on 30-4-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Considering that punitive and compensatory damage payments are how most personal injury lawyers are paid I tend to believe that the statement about consumers almost never getting their money back is incorrect. Most companies want to avoid lengthy trials because they are expensive. If there is liability most will settle. If they go to trial and lose it costs them much much more than a settlement would.

Your opinion about the details of the case and the litigants is irrelevant. Whether you think they were forced or not is not doesn't matter. The case will never be decided by law.

And in the court of public opinion a settlement is an admission of guilt.
You even have strong feelings about it or you wouldn't have started this thread.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

P.S.

Fraudulent and exaggerated advertising is why they have a case to begin with.
It is against the law.
Everybody should know that too.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Hey allsee4eye... I invented shoes that walk on water. No really. Just like Jesus'. I'll give you my PayPal acct info and if you transfer in $5000 you can have an exclusive franchise. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make millions on a product everyone will want. Don't wait, others are going to snap this up.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

The purpose of advertisements is to exaggerate the products. That's not illegal. Creating fake facebook accounts to post fake comments and reviews on facebook page is illegal.

Did the students really expect Trump to spill out all of his business secrets in the CDs? Which billionaire businessman gives an ounce of his business secrets to strangers?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

As a 35+ year advertising professional working at the executive level I assure you it is not the place of responsible advertising to 'exaggerate' a product's/service's capabilities. Advertising is to build brand awareness and present the benefits of a product relative to the competitive space. Some companies do exaggerate and they are usually caught and prosecuted. Remember all those fake boner pills that clogged TV? Trump U was a scam from the get-go.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I never watch advertisements. I don't trust advertisements

Yea, but i would have never known about the new M&M flavors or the new Reeses pieces inside of the Reeses peanut butter cup without advertising. So sometimes i dont mind advertisements, as long as it benefits my taste buds.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Trump U ads says they will teach you Trump's business secrets. That's extremely vague. I could make an ad that says I will teach you math and end up teaching you 1 plus 1 equals 2. That's exaggeration in ad. That's not illegal. The purpose of ads is to fool the stupid and make the product sell.

At no point did Trump U ads say they will teach you all of Trump's business secrets. Trump U students were foolish enough to misinterpret the ads and expected Trump U to teach them ALL of Trump's business secrets. That's why no judge took up the case between 2010 and 2016.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Considering that punitive and compensatory damage payments are how most personal injury lawyers are paid I tend to believe that the statement about consumers almost never getting their money back is incorrect. Most companies want to avoid lengthy trials because they are expensive. If there is liability most will settle. If they go to trial and lose it costs them much much more than a settlement would.

Your opinion about the details of the case and the litigants is irrelevant. Whether you think they were forced or not is not doesn't matter. The case will never be decided by law.

And in the court of public opinion a settlement is an admission of guilt.
You even have strong feelings about it or you wouldn't have started this thread.

Companies do not usually lose money, they pass on the costs to the people who buy their products. All companies producing products do this, the insurance premiums are spread out between many companies and everyone pays for these people who sue. Trump university tuition will just go up as a result. In this particular case, the Insurance company may not pay, why would they if they knew that they would win. Executive liability insurance is a necessity of many big businesses and beaucracies. You used to own a business, your general liability insurance covers some things. I did not have the premium insurance package that would pay for things like that, but mine would cover legal costs on things like that. Some insurance policies cover all executive action liability, I have known a few people who had those policies that would. I am sure a college would have that kind of policy, it is a big business. The local government beaucracy agencies execs are insured for that here. I tended to run an honest business so I was not worried about getting the extended coverage.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

- Instead of Trump actually attending any of the seminars, attendees were often offered the opportunity to instead take a photo next to a life-size cutout.
In addition to that, the theme song from Trump's show "The Apprentice" was played at the beginning and end of each seminar.

- A special database of lenders the "University" purportedly had insider access to was actually just "a list photocopied from an issue of Scotsman Guide, a commercially available magazine," the suit says.

- Attendees were told there was a toll-free "hotline" featuring instructors taking questions about real estate investing. The complaint says no such line existed, and instructors only made themselves available to individuals who'd signed up for the "elite" version of the seminar — "and often, not even then." But, students were asked to call their credit card companies during breaks in the seminar to ask that their credit limits be raised.

- The instructors repeated the business' ad claims that they'd been hand-picked by Trump himself, when in fact none of them were. And some of the instructors came to the organization after their own failed real estate investments bankrupted them.

- The organization comes pretty close to sounding like a pyramid scheme: The "students" would first attend a free seminar enticing them into paying $1,495 for a subsequent three-day seminar where they'd learn "everything they needed to know to start investing." Instructors at the three-day seminar would instead warn they would need to purchase additional programs — ideally the $35,000 "elite" program — or they would not succeed.

- Trump pocketed more than $5 million despite insinuating he would not profit directly from the organization.

promo

instructor

edit on 30-4-2017 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2017 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join