It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Angels bump during flyby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Last week the Thunderbirds stopped by Pensacola to visit with the Blue Angels. Both teams flew on the other's aircraft, and performed for crowds at the Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum. The highlight of the visit was a flyby of the beach by both teams. There was a scary moment during the flyby, as the Blue Angels, in their usual delta formation, encountered wake turbulence from the Thunderbirds team ahead of them.

A video posted to Facebook of the flyby shows the team suddenly start to move around, and then the formation separates. A Navy statement made yesterday said that during the maneuver, two of the Blue Angels aircraft touched each other, causing minor damage. Both aircraft are already back in service after repairs. The video shows that it was pretty exciting for a few seconds, and all the pilots did a great job of keeping clear of each other, and recovering their aircraft.

Facebook video

PENSACOLA BEACH, FLORIDA (WKRG) — Two Blue Angels jets made brief contact while flying over Pensacola Beach in Florida Wednesday afternoon, according to The Navy Times.

The article quotes Blue Angels Spokesman Lt. Joe Hontz, who called it “a very brief and minor contact between the aircraft.” Hontz explained the jets were flying in the Blue Angel Delta Formation when the pilots “encountered unexpected wake turbulence.”

wric.com...
edit on 4/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wow, they shook it off like it was nothing.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

It was quite impressive to see how they reacted to it. I know they said it was minor, but it would have been really easy to over react to the initial bump and cause a disaster.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Those are some damned good pilots. Zaph who gets recruited into demo teams like BA and TB. They gotta be some of the better pilots the services have.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

They go through a long process. It takes months to decide on even the enlisted personnel that make the team. To even get on the list as a possible candidate for the Thunderbirds you need 12 years commissioned service, and a minimum of 750 flying hours. For the Blue Angels, to fly the Hornets, you have to be carrier qualified with 1250 hours flying time. For Fat Albert, you have to be a C-130 Aircraft Commander, with 1200 hours. Those are the minimums to even make the list.
edit on 4/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thank God.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I am a retired USAF MSgt; I have known 3 T-Bird maintainers. Bitch of a job. A lot of hours, making sure that the jets were perfect... I also met two pilots that had been on the team... phenomenal flyers. I have an amazing amount of respect for what they do. If the Blue Angels touched, and managed to get both aircraft down safely... amazing. You can ask Zaphod, even light contact can cause severe damage to an airframe. Kudos to both zippersuits.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Zippersuits!! Never herd that before!!! Love it!!!!a reply to: madmac5150

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Zippersuits!! Never herd that before!!! Love it!!!!a reply to: madmac5150

The exact expression is "Zippersuited Sun Gods"... tongue in cheek for "fair weather flyers"... lol

(F-16 pilots mostly...)
edit on 29-4-2017 by madmac5150 because: My ducks are assholes

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
When your a team at the pinnacle of the United States displaying abilities you need to be 100% on top of the game..
Is a good thing they called a break in unfavourable conditions..

top topics

join