It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan to expedite Aegis Ashore study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The Japanese government is expediting a study to determine if they should go with THAAD, or Aegis Ashore as a missile defense system. If they go with THAAD, they would require 6 systems, and it would cost approximately $1.1B for all six units. They would only require 2 Aegis Ashore systems to cover the entire country, and it would cost them approximately $717M. The drawback to the Aegis system is that it requires large amounts of land to install the system, as opposed to THAAD. But it uses the same components as the current Aegis BMD system, already used by the Japanese military.

The Japanese use a dual layer anti missile system. The outer defense is the Aegis BMD system, using the SM-3 missile. The inner ring is currently the Patriot PAC-3 system.

A feasibility study on adopting a land-based Aegis missile defense system to deal with North Korea’s missiles will be expedited, government sources said.

The idea to add the Aegis Ashore system to the nation’s multi-tiered ballistic missile defenses is aimed at dealing with what Tokyo calls the “new level of threat” posed by North Korea’s weapons programs. Deployment could take place several years from now, the sources said Friday.

The government has also considered adopting the state-of-the-art Terminal High Altitude Area Defense missile shield system but decided to focus on Aegis Ashore, which is less expensive and has a broader defense range.

www.japantimes.co.jp...

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Would Japan expect the same response from China, like South Korea in regards to THAAD, should they go with it you think?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: Zaphod58

Would Japan expect the same response from China, like South Korea in regards to THAAD, should they go with it you think?

The issue with THAAD is the radar reach in terms of how far it can see. Obviously the further away a radar can detect a missile, the longer one has to target and destroy it.

Surely that could be dialed back a bit so as not to offend China?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

In response to North Koream rhetoric, I'm not so sure that is a feasible idea.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Probably not. South Korea can get a lot deeper coverage with the THAAD radar than Japan could. I doubt they'd be happy with either system, but I don't think they'd be as upset with THAAD in Japan.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'd get both.

new topics

top topics

join