It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diagnosed Autism Linked to Maternal Grandmother’s Smoking During Pregnancy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

It is much more likely that the researchers were looking for funding and applied to an anti-smoking grant. This is p-hacking at its finest.

If you found any evidence of this i'd be happy to see it.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

REALLY - this is all you got out of everything I said???? Your bias is really showing

Here is how desparate they are for more money:

www.nature.com...

As is noted in the artical:

Corretaltion is not causation.
It is virtually impossible to isolate the "smoking gun" People who smoke also drink, people who are careful to make sure their kid always has sunscreen also use antibiotic soaps and are afraid of letting their kids be exposed to germs.

Bigfurrytexan, you already know that baby boomers were born just as the smoking rate was at its height. But, due to antibiotics, vaccines, a better food supply, chlorination of water supplies and construction of sanitary sewers, we grew up in rude good health, such as the world has never seen. We had a predicted life span of 65 years that we are exceeding by 20 or mores years and we have also delayed chronic disease.

Somehow, our smoking grandmothers and the secondhand smoke we grew up in did not prevent any of this.

There is "research lab life" and the reality of getting funding for studies and there is real life. you read a study that purports to show "a link" and all of a sudden your life experience counts for nothing, your brain loses its critical thinking ability?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

No bias. You are just way more intense on this discussion than I care to be. The only thing Ill maintain is there is no evidence that smoking does anything but harm you.

Im not here to argue for the next generation. Im just here to share an article and maybe some thoughts. Perhaps someone wanting to fight will show up and make you happy.

edit on 4/29/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Hey, long time no talk bigfatfurrytexan!

I'm interested...very interested.

My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me. Menthol to boot, which has just recently been banned around here. The very thought of all those chemicals being ingested by a developing fetus is mind blowing to me. Of course there will be repercussions, even if we are still not scientifically advanced enough to connect every dot to diagnose a later illness as related.

I did not smoke during either of my pregnancies, and had quit a year before my first. When my kids were born in the 80's the word 'autism' was barely ever mentioned. It wasn't something that anybody, layman or professional discussed as mainstream...we all had the idea that it was rare.

I had a group of girlfriends who were all nurses, one an NICU (Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit) nurse who looked after the premature and sick newborns. I was privy to medical information that wasn't normal conversation among housewives, and autism was never discussed.

Now I have an adult daughter who began having absence seizures and has recently advanced into longer and more severe. The medications are having nasty side effects and she cannot drive at this point.

I am losing my mind with stress, and constantly searching for information to help me understand what needs to be done.

I just searched "autism and seizures" and found there IS a correlation.

Even if this does not turn out to be of any use in my personal situation, I am extremely grateful to you for bringing it to my attention. It may be the answer we need. It might lead us towards more information, if I was on the wrong track before. Either way there is a possibility right now that this is something I need to consider.
Thank you.
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Howdy Jacy

I think we are a long way off from the mark on autism, and I think we likely need to look at autism as a series of disorders with causes that may or may not be related.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   

There are a ridiculously high number of young adults and teens with mental/psychological/emotional disorders and issues lately. There is no doubt in my mind that all the toxins we have been exposed to over the years are doing damage that we can't even imagine.

If you are personally dealing with a loved one suffering from something that you can't understand...it's frightening beyond belief. When the medications that are supposed to help only make you sick with something else, you start looking for information....any and all information.

I read your entire thread and saw the comments. I just wanted you to know that your thread may have helped somebody, and if so...it was worth the effort.
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

It says a 53% increase. The actual increase is hard to determine due to diagnosis changes, but it has gone up substantially.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

This kind of reminds me of the 60's when we had to watch shows about Marijuana and the effects,you sound like one of those narrators,grasping at straws,pretty dang funny,add this to "global warming"

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Its in medical issues and conspiracies, unless im mistaken about the cadeuceus.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

While smoking is a nasty habit, and I think all who do smoke should consider the potential and real health issues, I have to wonder if it is the tobacco....or all the additives, chemicals, etc. added to modern cigarettes that is the REAL problem.

People have been smoking for far longer than we have seen an epidemic of autism.
People have been smoking tobacco for as long as they knew tobacco was something that could be smoked.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Hi DontTreadOnMe!

I have no doubt that chemicals and additives are involved. Factor in the numerous other toxins that we've been exposed to over the years and the increase in neurological issues makes sense.

I've been reading and researching this topic (along with Autism and Asperger's) for the last 6 hours. Pieces are falling into place and I now have a number of medical resources bookmarked (from various countries). This has given me a new direction of questions to bring up with my daughter's neurologist.

I'm extremely grateful for this thread, regardless of the negative comments. Bigfatfurrytexan presented this article for discussion but I am willing to defend it's merit. While I may not have 100% proof at this point (regarding the connection to my own mother's smoking during pregnancy)...I am now aware of certain implications and will be continuing with my research.
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Wow, your from Kwaj. That is a beautiful island. Never been there but I would bet the SCUBA diving is superb.
Back on track. I wonder if the chemical that caused the mutation, is only in a certain brand of cigarettes. Like Tarralton, or Pal Mall and such.
Thank you for the intriguing article.
eta: Just saw DTOM's comment. Collective thinking can solve many puzzles.
edit on V512017Saturdaypm30America/ChicagoSat, 29 Apr 2017 12:51:25 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Hi, jacy!

I hope you can get to the bottom of your daughter's seizures!

Yeah, it's natural news....but it does discuss the poison in ciggies today....
10 DEADLY chemicals cigarette manufacturers don’t want you to know about

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Hey, thank you so much!!

I've found a lot of information regarding cigarettes being more harmful these days as opposed to say 50 years ago. I am linking this article below...although the site itself is not medical...it's easy to read and confirms the medical information that I have found.

Why smoking is MORE deadly and addictive than it was 50 years ago

I have been reading how neurologists are seeing huge increases in "brain disorders" including seizures, and while it is not comforting at least it's giving me new information to digest.
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Another good reason to ban smoking, as far as I am concerned! That said, I have a grandson who is mildly autistic (Asperger's) and I never smoked, nor did his mother. So, could cause some cases, but can't account for all.

To be fair, though, both of my parents DID smoke, as did my daughter's biological father. So, I won't rule out that as a factor.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
Maybe the spectrum of autism is too narrowly defined, could it include such things as: being more prone to taking offense and less resilient than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own, having a unreasonable sense of entitlement, and maybe even a lack of empathy.
Will stop there as its snowing outside....

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

im thinking there is a cheimcal that would be more likely to be involved. an "additive" or something.

Maybe its glyphosate? That would be a firestorm.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

im thinking there is a cheimcal that would be more likely to be involved. an "additive" or something.

Maybe its glyphosate? That would be a firestorm.

With everything they put into the cigarettes, that seems likely! No idea which one, or ones, personally, but yeah, would be something to prove! My mother was one of those who would toss a butt out the car window, too, not caring that it was littering. Not all smokers are like that, of course. I have known some who wouldn't even smoke inside their own home, and were very polite about it.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

While smoking is a nasty habit, and I think all who do smoke should consider the potential and real health issues, I have to wonder if it is the tobacco....or all the additives, chemicals, etc. added to modern cigarettes that is the REAL problem.

People have been smoking for far longer than we have seen an epidemic of autism.
People have been smoking tobacco for as long as they knew tobacco was something that could be smoked.

This would be my main point. All those added known carcinogens added to modern cigarettes and the paper would have an effect and not so the tobacco (although this is probably GM by now and full of nasties).

The same goes for our food and, yes, our soft furnishings too which contain toxic chemicals like formaldehyde:
fact-sheets formaldehyde-furniture-products

And with toxins that can cause thyroid cancer:
express.co.uk - sofa-thyroid-cancer-symptoms-link-flame-retardant-chemical-furniture

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join