It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im a muslim

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
After seeing quite a few threads about islam i am sure some of you have some questions about islam. I hope i can answer them as good as possible.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Can you explain the difference between the sects, i.e. Shi'ite and Sunni (I think there may be another)?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
What flavour Muslim are you?

Discussing Islam is the same as discussing Christianity. Although we all sit under one general umbrella there are many different branches of the religion that hold many different views.

It would be easier for people to understand your answers if they knew what your specific background was.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Hehe....I suppose it was only to be a matter of time before a "Misconceptions about Islam" thread would pop up. Not that this is exactly that, but tomcat seems to be willing to address these misconceptions.

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Can you explain the difference between the sects, i.e. Shi'ite and Sunni (I think there may be another)?

I think I am capable of answering that. For Sunni and Shi'ite the difference is mainly about the succession. After Muhammad died, the muslims split up into two groups. The majority(Sunni) said that Muhammad had implied that when he died, a council should elect his successor, and they chose Abu Bakr. However, a minority claimed that the succesion should go to his nearest male relative, his nephew Ali. This minorty split when Abu Bakr was chosen, and created there own customs and minor differences from mainstrean Sunni Islam.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by babloyi]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I totally appreciate you're openess, I look forward to an education on this thread. I have an opinion question. I'm sorry to be cliche' by bringing in Iraq because of your stated belief (I'm sure you must be tired of that by now), but it's one I've been wondering about for a few years now. Could you give a viewpoint/perspective on the actions the U.S. has taken for Iraq as it relates to your beliefs. Good, bad, indifferent? I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along, but think this is a good opener.

Also, if there's anything I can help with in regards to God/Old Testament/Christianity to anyone here, I will do my best.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Lets address the supposed 'moon god' issue.

Many people state that muslims are in fact worshiping an old pagan arab good of the moon, referenced in the pre-monotheistic times as 'al-lah', and that mohammed, when he prostyltized the new religion, wasn't really saying 'hey, our ancestors worshipped the one supreme and only god, we need to get back to that original monotheism' but was infact understood by his fellow arabs as saying 'worship The Lord (of the moon) above all the rest, he's the bestest god'.

Now I think that thats a bunch of bunk, and that if it were true then muslims at least would know it. I suppose the argument is that someone later on altered the koran and hadiths to make it appear more monotheistic.

So is there any sense from the readings of these holy books that mohammed was promoting a moon god over all others, as opposed to bringing back the 'original god of their ancestors'?

Also, what is the relative importance of the hadiths in relation to the koran? I know in christianity there is one canonical text and supplementary writtings aren't as important. But in Jewish texts the supplementary discussions are very important. Is the musim tradition more like the jewish tradition?

Also, there are two other big 'complaints' agianst islam that should be addressed. Quickly they are;

How are jews (and christians and hindus, seperately) viewed?

What are the compulsions with respect to non muslims living amoung muslims?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Look I've just got to ask these questions, I'll probably get shot down in flames...

Question: Why are the majority of terrorists islamic? How come many of you feel that you need to go on a killing rampage in the name of your god? I don't see anyone attacking people of your religion, in fact you are welcomed all around the world, yet where you go there seems to follow violence and discord. Why?

Smokinjoe

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokinjoe
Look I've just got to ask these questions, I'll probably get shot down in flames...

Question: Why are the majority of terrorists islamic? How come many of you feel that you need to go on a killing rampage in the name of your god? I don't see anyone attacking people of your religion, in fact you are welcomed all around the world, yet where you go there seems to follow violence and discord. Why?

Smokinjoe

Why are the majority of serial killers white males? I assume you are a white male, so you must know the minds of the white males who feel the need to repeatedly murder innocent people for thier own sick gratification.

That was a bit unfair of me to ask huh? Well, why do you assume that a muslim like tomcat ha knows the mind of a terrorist? Being a muslim does not make you an expert on terrorist psyche, just like being a white male doesn't make you an expert on the mind of a serial killer.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
that was beautiful mpeake.

I don't see anyone attacking people of your religion

do you think his eyes are open? maybe he thinks justice would be served if people "DID" start attacking. well go on JOE! -go kill yourself one of them A-RABS...

ok, enough. tomcat, i would like to know if you were born into Islam? or did you convert?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Ok, I hope that tomcat doesn't mind me answering what I know for him.
About the moon god. I don't think this is true. Allah simply means "The God". It was not the name of any moon god. Although the arabs were polytheists, they still viewed Allah as the "Top God" above all the others. The moon god theory is the brain child of one Dr. Robert Morey, who is not known for his lack of bias
. Here is a link on what a muslim (I assume it was a muslim) wrote about it.

About the Hadith, they are the teachings of Muhammad, compiled after he died. They are placed below the Quran in importance, because while muslims say that the Quran cannot be corrupted or changed (since it came from Allah), the Hadith were compiled by men. However, muslim scholars have studied the hadith (including those who related them, their language, etc) and divided them into "Trustworthy" "Untrustworthy" and "Undecided".

Jews and Christians are considered "People of the book", and are considered to have received Prophets from Allah. The Quran says:

22:17
Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians, Christians, Magians, and Polytheists,- Allah will judge between them on the Day of Judgment: for Allah is witness of all things.

It is interesting that although leaving Islam now carries the penalty of death, this judgement is neither in the Quran, and Muhammad was not attributed carrying it out. The Quran says:

2:256
Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error…

About nonmuslims living among muslims:

60:8
Allah forbiddeth you not those who warred not against you on account of religion and drove you not out from your homes, that ye should show them kindness and deal justly with them. Lo! Allah loveth the just dealers.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by babloyi]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

22:17
Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians, Christians, Magians, and Polytheists,- Allah will judge between them on the Day of Judgment: for Allah is witness of all things.

John 3:16 says (as everyone seems to know here) that whoever believes in God's son would be saved. Also, in Revelations the ones saved are not subject to judgement unlike polytheists, etc.

As far as I understood, the New Testament was a viable collection of books in Islam. How then can you say what I've mentioned, then later contradict in the Qur'an?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Good point smokinjoe, I am interesting in seeing a response to those questions. I find that muslims in general are quite divided when answering them, but many simply say they are misguided and leave it at that, as they then become violent if you mention too many verses from the Qu'ran that can easily be mis-interpreted (as some put it).

mpeake, can you provide some evidence to back up your point. Don't forget, in many countries that are predominantly black have a very corrupt legal system, and so many incidents don't get reported ie. look at Africa and the ethnic cleansing against whites. I could also say the same for many Middle Eastern countries too, except the ethnic cleansing.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoobCommando[/i
mpeake, can you provide some evidence to back up your point. Don't forget, in many countries that are predominantly black have a very corrupt legal system, and so many incidents don't get reported ie. look at Africa and the ethnic cleansing against whites. I could also say the same for many Middle Eastern countries too, except the ethnic cleansing.

- The USA has 76% of the worlds Serial Killers

- Europe, in second has 17% of the worlds Serial Killers

- 84% of American killers are Caucasian

- 16% of American killers are black

- Men make up at least 90% of Serial Killers

- Yet 65% of victims are female

- 89% of victims are white

- 44% of all killers start in their twenties

- 26% of all killers start in their teens

- And 24% of all killers start in their thirties

- Out of all killers, 86% are heterosexual

www.fortunecity.com...

I think that about sums it up. Anything else?

[edit on 3-2-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I am not sure what you mean saint4God. However, the Quran also says that the Bible was corrupted:

5:14
they change the words from their (right) places and forget a good part of the message that was sent them, nor wilt thou cease to find them- barring a few - ever bent on (new) deceits: but forgive them, and overlook (their misdeeds): for Allah loveth those who are kind.

and

3:78
There is among them a section who distort the Book with their tongues: (As they read) you would think it is a part of the Book, but it is no part of the Book; and they say, "That is from Allah," but it is not from Allah. It is they who tell a lie against Allah, and (well) they know it!

smokingjoe, NoobCommando, I have no idea how to answer your question. While I believe myself to be a true believer in what is taught in Islam, I am not an Islamic terrorist. I know no one personally who is. I have never "felt the need to go on a killing rampage in the name of God". I don't believe God requires it of me (or anyone). I haven't seen anywhere in the Quran that supports terrorism. If you have seen any, please quote it (in its entirety)

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
< Refers mpeake back to original post. Many nations have poor and corrupt legal systems ie. Africa, where many, many murders are not reported. I would also like to call your attention to the link provided. I could easily set up a website and alter all those stats to show that any other ethnic group was higher on the list.

Please provide evidence from a reputable source. For all we know, the person who designed that site may have something against Caucasians, as I have found the general opinion from Black men for some reason (well, in the NorthEast of England).

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If I may slightly digress from the topic here.

It seems like Muslims are the the new Jews in terms of collective guilt.
For centuries Jews carried collective guilt for death of Jesus, forced upon them by the church. Being Jew meant you are one of "those who killed Jesus", so you are somehow responsible for it and you have to appologize or explain it.

Now, Muslims are associated with Bin Laden and all peaceful Muslims are somehow forced to explain themselves, appologize for Bin Laden, carry the burden of someone else's sins. They now carry colective guilt.
Just like the Jews in the past (and to some extent in the present too), Muslims are not viewed as individuals, but as a collective. One bad apple and all are evil.
Contrary to that, western christian civilisation is perceived as a society of individuals, where each individual carries their own sin.

Haven't we learned anything from the past? *shakes head*

Some things do tend to repeat themselves through ages....

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoobCommando
< Refers mpeake back to original post. Many nations have poor and corrupt legal systems ie. Africa, where many, many murders are not reported. I would also like to call your attention to the link provided. I could easily set up a website and alter all those stats to show that any other ethnic group was higher on the list.

Please provide evidence from a reputable source. For all we know, the person who designed that site may have something against Caucasians, as I have found the general opinion from Black men for some reason (well, in the NorthEast of England).

Sure thing buddy

Profiles are based on past killer statistics, who the victims were and/or descriptions extrapolated from crime scene observations, such as how neat it was, whether the body was disposed of and whether it seemed the killer was in a hurry.

"The process of profiling is basically some deductive reasoning based on what you find at a crime scene," Fox said. "It's not of a specificity that will allow you to put out an all-points bulletin."

If the victims were predominantly white, authorities assume the killer is too, since most homicides are same-race. About 70 percent of all serial killers are white and 95 percent are males. This method was used in both cases.

www.foxnews.com...

This is from a report on Fox News.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yeh, a report from Fox News, but it doesn't state if those figures are Worldwide or just American cases. Again, many developing countries such as Africa, etc. have a corrupt legal system where many, many murders are not reported. Please provide a reputable source on "true" Wordwide figures, as you originally attempted to do.

Another thing I must mention is that mpeake seems to be concentrating on "serial murders" also. I wonder if they would differ from the stats of general murders. Seems I need to do some research myself in to this

EDIT: A thorough read of the link and it more about whether or not "killer profiles are outdated" - I advise people read the full story before coming to a conclusion on that link. Please provide something more relevant.

[edit on 3/2/05 by NoobCommando]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
However, the Quran also says that the Bible was corrupted

Ah, I think that answers my question. Not saying I agree, but picking and choosing what is and is not the truth from the Bible can be made serve any purpose I suppose. Why would God care to generate such confusion? He was pretty clear in the Old and New Testament how things work and how he thinks, now He (or whomever He sent) is going back saying His own words are corrupted?

[edit on 3-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Most of the 'answers' are done by other posters, where's this guy/gal ???

My question: Since, Christianity and Muslim ideology follow relatively the same path (preach peace), both are 'decendants' from Abraham, both want to 'worship' on the same 'land', and both have had thier own 'crusades', ......Concering the suicide bombers: Do you believe it's right to kill others (murder in the name of your religion) or do you see it as 'dying' for your religion (martyrdom) and inviting those dead to your heaven/hell?

An in-depth answer as to why either way would be nice.

Tuataras Third Eye

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join