It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoppers turn Walmart self-checkout into personal slot machine

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96yep its theft but cashiers are just as bad when old people have trouble using there debit cards clerks have been caught helping out by pressing 20 dollar cashback button then after old person leaves they put the twenty in their pockets. many have got caught doing this but you never here about it why is that?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I hate walmart as much as anyone, and I rarely(once a year) go there.

However, it's still wrong and the right thing to do would be to inform someone and get my proper amount due.

I realize that's is a rare opinion, and that most can't fathom having that level of principal. Even when it's in favor of something/one so undeserving of that "respect".

At the end of the day though, it's about me, knowing I'M IN THE RIGHT and that I've done the right thing. Knowing that I can't be labeled a hypocrite or ever be knocked down due to saying one thing and doing another.

I can't fathom this level of haughtiness. Even the real Mister Spock showed a bit of humility now and then.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Aazadan

Operator is responsible. Period.

All parties in a transaction are responsible.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

However, it's still wrong and the right thing to do would be to inform someone and get my proper amount due.

I realize that's is a rare opinion, and that most can't fathom having that level of principal. Even when it's in favor of something/one so undeserving of that "respect".

At the end of the day though, it's about me, knowing I'M IN THE RIGHT and that I've done the right thing. Knowing that I can't be labeled a hypocrite or ever be knocked down due to saying one thing and doing another.

^This^

It is theft, very simple. The money does not belong to you. There are no gray areas here.

If I see money laying on the sidewalk with no one around, I will leave it there. Why? Because it does not belong to me.

Simple.

For those who don't understand this simple lesson, karma will be there to show you the way.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

If you rent a car that breaks down due to lack of maintenance, it's your fault?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Mr. Spock, you are the rose surrounded by thorns. You keep blooming and don't worry about the pricks. I hope you have children so that your example is being taught to others who will in turn teach it to their children and maybe one day this world will be good again. Thank you!

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

You act like a multi billion dollar company needs protection. What's wrong with you?

I love the hate everyone has for Walmart.
Oh, and by hate, I mean jealousy.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

Sorry for quoting myself but this

a reply to: Plotus

Really? I never heard of that before. I just don't like the low wage practice. It actually goes further and is part of the whole economical problems we have, as they're not paying fair prices for their products to the producers either.
That's a huge issue and beats taking a few 20s from a wrongly stocked machine any time. And can't be made right with a few trucks of disaster aid, no matter how good and right that was.

is my opinion and I stand by it.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
All this self congratulatory "holier than thou" showboating fits in with the "I'm not racist" category.

I'm not apologizing for my skepticism either.....it's born from experience.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It's kinda funny...for the people who would milk the situation to make a tidy profit, that's all well and good. But our financial lives are at the mercy of these kinds of system.

Imagine you made a payment or set up say a direct debit or standing order, and a glitch in the system meant the recipient received multiple payments or larger payments than they were supposed to.

You'd want it back, right? Sure, the mistake might have been technical, or even the fault of another person, but it's not exactly your fault, is it?

Then again, I think to myself - how many times have the cops stepped in and investigated cases where joe public has been ripped off? What's so sacred about Walmarts money? It's a tough one...still interesting, though.

And funny.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4003fireglo

I can't fathom this level of haughtiness. Even the real Mister Spock showed a bit of humility now and then.

The irony is that my position on the matter is simply a logical one. As for the "level of haughtiness", I'm aware that it could have been misinterpreted as such. Sadly, the reason it would be is because a basic level of morality is apparently such a lofty and unobtainable goal that it somehow appears to be misconstrued as an attempt at superiority.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Maybe the debate should be framed as 2 separate issues: Legality of the situation and morality of the action.

Just because taking the money in that situation may not be entirely against the law does not mean that action is moral or just.

Like taking advantage of someones ignorance, vanity or any type of insecurity. Is this against the law? Probably not. It is moral?

Like selling someone a hair product that doesn't work. They are preying on another person's weakness. Can they be prosecuted or fined for that? Probably not. It happens every day. The majority of our corporations are centered around fraud of some type. Some people actually think this is just good business practice and revel in their cleverness. But if you watch closely to these people's lives, you can see that karma has a completely different opinion. Unless these people love pain and suffering, then in that case they must be getting rewarded.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: megabogie

Mr. Spock, you are the rose surrounded by thorns. You keep blooming and don't worry about the pricks. I hope you have children so that your example is being taught to others who will in turn teach it to their children and maybe one day this world will be good again. Thank you!

Thanks, I'm sadly kind of shocked at the tilt of this thread. Thought most people would at the least SAY they would do the right thing, if for no other reason than appearance.

But I guess "walmart sucks" is a good enough reason for most.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: crazyewok

Always low morals......Always.

Machines cant regulate morality.

Risk you take when replace humans with machines.

Talking about the guy.

If that happened to me I would have walked up to an employee and told them.

Not me. Would have done the same thing.
Not my problem the machine messed up.
Not my job to alert them of their mistake

What if the employee were your wife that made the mistake loading the register ? And, what if she were held responsible for correcting the mistake out of her pay, you might sing a different tune. That's the problem today. Nobody looks at things from another person's perspective.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Is it wrong that I would have notified someone about the error? I mean, someone who could correct it, not exploit it.

Yep, kind of world we live in where honesty = stupidity. I sure am stupid. Broke ass broke and stupid!

edit on 28-4-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Okeyd57

What if the employee were your wife that made the mistake loading the register ? And, what if she were held responsible for correcting the mistake out of her pay, you might sing a different tune. .

that would be a bummer and youre right, i probably would feel differently.
it wasnt her though so my thoughts on this stand.

and to a question asked above.

would i pick up money i saw laying on the ground? damn straight. i have done it and will continue to do it.

im supposed to leave a 20 spot laying there so the next guy can pick it up? nope

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Replace human workers with machines and this is the risk you take.

It was the human who filled the machine with notes of the wrong denomination. Inside each cash machine are one or more metal magazines of cash. They are usually delivered by security guards with body armor. Each of those magazines is the size of briefcase and contains hundreds of each type of denomination. So there's probably a hundred thousand grand in each full magazine. Normally it's like 5, 10, 20, 50 in four racks. Someone puts 20's in the 5's and it's bonanza time.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I'm kinda shocked too!

Like you, I was taught that taking things that don't belong to me is wrong. My parents never made a distinction between stealing from corporations and stealing from individuals.

I don't like Wal-Mart so I don't shop there, haven't in nearly 30 years, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to steal from them or any other corporation.

But apparently honesty in business transactions is really rare these days. I was shopping recently and picked up a packet of flower seeds along with several other purchases. At the check-out I overlooked the packet of seeds and didn't notice it again until I was unloading the cart at the car. When I returned the cart to the store I stepped back to the check-out to pay for the seeds and the cashier was astounded. She was so astounded that she called her manager over to tell her that I had paid for the seeds! I guess an honest person today is just an oddity. I explained to them that I attempt to treat others as I want to be treated and since I wouldn't appreciate anyone stealing from me, I won't steal from others---even a $1 packet of seeds.

I am constantly amazed that people claim to hate and despise Wal-Mart and yet trot themselves to the nearest one and hand over their money to a corporation they claim to abhor! Don't they realize that their contributions enable the very behavior they are decrying?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
and for the record i love me some wal mart. shop there all the time

still though. they should load those machines properly i suppose

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Always low morals......Always.

Machines cant regulate morality.

Risk you take when replace humans with machines.

Talking about the guy.

If that happened to me I would have walked up to an employee and told them.

Glad I'm not the only weirdo

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join