It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoppers turn Walmart self-checkout into personal slot machine

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Part of me says 'notify and return, it's the moral thing to do.'
The other part of me screams 'F**K WALMART!"

Even if it was something like a big fast food chain I'd feel compelled to do the 'right' thing, and that's definitely what I'd do... But with a company like Walmart, it gets a lot more hazy.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: MisterSpock

I'm not setting up and running those machines. The operator is responsible.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Mixing up words. Yes, someone (in this case, the operator) may be responsible for the problem.

But you yourself also have a responsibility, to do the right thing...

I have done the wrong thing in similar situations. I know it was the wrong thing at least I admitted it to myself and learnt from it and tried not to do it again. I feel I grew from the experience.

I hate to think how many participants in this thread are missing the point completely. Is it cognitive dissonance, do you really not understand? This is why the world is going to hell. And don't get me wrong - it's not because someone took $20 from Walmart or wherever - that's all irrelevant.

It would be better to take the money and say you couldn't care less, knowing it was wrong, than to a) believe it's not wrong and b) shift the blame on to someone else?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

But I insist.

Defeats the purpose. It's not a transaction. It's human... interaction. The interaction is its own reward, and is tarnished and reduced by even offering the money.

I would feel uncomfortable and somewhat insulted if you were to continue to insist. There is no score to settle... it's all... positive.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89

originally posted by: FlyingFox
The first time the $20 came out didn't break the law, the subsequent times did...

Nope, still not illegal. Unethical maybe, but not illegal.

Really? Then why are the police involved?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: Urantia1111

Happened to me. Cashed my paycheck but didnt check the envelope with the money til later that night. Found an extra $1000 in it. What a shock. Both my parents were in banking so I knew someone would get fired. Called the extra hours banking line and was at the door before the bank opened at 9am. The poor teller cried because she thought they would fire her if she couldn't find the missing money-she hugged me-I told her I was sorry for not checking til later that night. Never entered my mind to keep the money-and could have really used it but I knew she would be fired. I couldn't live with that and felt better after talking with the manager that she wouldnt lose her job over the mistake.

Oh I bet it entered your mind to keep it! Even just a split second... be honest with yourself as that's a big theme of this thread!

The fact you mention you could have used it, you thought about her potentially getting fired... the fact it was $1000 in cash, hard to prove or trace back to you (but not impossible...)

I'm writing this, not to negate what you did. I could be wrong but you made the right decision, in a (difficult for some) moral dilemna. It shows you are strong, and sure - if in fact you did consider keeping this large sum of money and ultimately made the decision to return it.

If there was no chance of someone getting fired, would you have made a different decision?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
If some company that is well known for exploiting it's employees messes up like this, why would anyone feel beholden to not take advantage?

I find it a bit rich that the guy is being touted as a criminal.
Surely he honoured his part of the contract by paying the price Walmart expected for the goods? It ain't on him if they then gave away extra money.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
its not sad. 95%+ of the human race would have done the exact same thing. But you get to pretend to have higher morals on the internet, so theres always that shining light.

You are wrong. It is sad you think this way. I don't believe 95% would have done the same thing. Not even 95% of people with the mental disorder you are pretending to suffer from on the internet would have done the exact same thing.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
If some company that is well known for exploiting it's employees messes up like this, why would anyone feel beholden to not take advantage?

Can you think of any reasons why?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixDescending

Sure, free money.
the second part of my post explains my thoughts on it.
It's their error but the guy fulfilled his part of the contract.
You see companies do it to people all the time where they hide charges in small print so the end cost to the consumer doesn't reflect the headline price.

just a bit of corporate karma imo.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

It most certainly is illegal. The first person who got back the 20 should have informed staff that the machine was malfunctioning. Instead he invited friends over, that makes it conspiracy to defraud and steal. When you take something knowing it isn't yours that's stealing. No wonder this country is going to hell. Everybody thinks like you.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Sure, free money.
You see companies do it to people all the time where they hide charges in small print so the end cost to the consumer doesn't reflect the headline price.

I was asking if you could think of any answers to your own initial question. Why would someone feel beholden to not take advantage? I would be surprised if you couldn't.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Sure, free money.

I was asking if you could think of any answers to your own initial question. Why would someone feel beholden to not take advantage? I would be surprised if you couldn't.

Ah, I'm on the same page as you now.

There are lots of reasons.
Not many apply to a corporate giant like Walmart.

If it was a mom and pop place or some charity shop then I doubt many of us who are sticking up for this guy would feel the same way.

As it is, it was a drop in the ocean to a company that screws suppliers, employees and customers for every cent they can get so I don't think this man or his friends deserve any condemnation.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The first time the $20 came out didn't break the law, the subsequent times did...

Nope, still not illegal. Unethical maybe, but not illegal

Find that hard to believe... can you clarify?

If a cashier gives you the wrong change, it is not stealing (thus not illegal) to accept the change. It may be a mistake on the cashier's part (and they usually are responsible for it as well), but they are giving you the change. There is no difference when a machine does it instead of a person. A machine can only do what it is programmed to, thus the person who loaded the wrong bills may be held responsible but not the patrons. So like I stated earlier, unethical maybe but not illegal.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Nope, still not illegal. Unethical maybe, but not illegal.

Really? Then why are the police involved?
Because the loss prevention personnel called them and they must investigate.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

If it was a mom and pop place or some charity shop then I doubt many of us who are sticking up for this guy would feel the same way.

As it is, it was a drop in the ocean to a company that screws suppliers, employees and customers for every cent they can get so I don't think this man or his friends deserve any condemnation.

I get what you are saying, I don't agree.

There has to be a better way.

I don't know much about Walmart but from a moral viewpoint, all the same reasons apply as for any other business.

In terms of black and white, what happened was wrong. If you can think it can be justified, where's the line to be drawn? Should everyone be allowed to steal from Walmart because they suck?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I get what you are saying, I don't agree.

There has to be a better way.

I don't know much about Walmart but from a moral viewpoint, all the same reasons apply as for any other business.

In terms of black and white, what happened was wrong. If you can think it can be justified, where's the line to be drawn? Should everyone be allowed to steal from Walmart because they suck?

it's perfectly fine to disagree.
I don't hold with moral absolutes.
I am a treat someone like they treat me kinda guy, which is why I don't have an issue wiyh this case at all.

We all gotta make our own way and I ain't gonna point a finger at this bloke and his friends who may or may not be dirt poor anyway.

I seriously doubt any actual harm was done to anyone as a result of this. Its possible the company will beat on tje cashier who loaded the machine, but if he or she is in a union they should be ok.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Sure, how about calling his kids and buddies to get them to do the same..that is were it gets borderline crooked..imo

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Sure, how about calling his kids and buddies to get them to do the same..that is were it gets borderline crooked..imo

nah, chances are they are in the same boat.
No different to calling them up to let them know that they skipped a load of out of date beer or something really.
That's just my opinion though and like I said, they did bugger all measurable harm to Walmart.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I have no love for Walmart believe me..I despise them. When I was younger I wouldn't of thought twice about keeping that kind of windfall, be it found money or simular. Where I am now as a person I would not feel right keeping something that wasn't mine.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I have no love for Walmart believe me..I despise them. When I was younger I wouldn't of thought twice about keeping that kind of windfall, be it found money or simular. Where I am now as a person I would not feel right keeping something that wasn't mine.

That's cool. And found money is a bit different isn't it?
but hey, Why waste time condemning someone who takes a tiny advantage of a firm like Walmart now and then?

Doesn't make them bad people does it?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join