It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyperthyroidism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
During a routine medical visit, the doctor found my thyroid very enlarged, and it seems plausible I have hyperthyroidism. I have not been able to sleep for a week, I am losing weight, have no appetite, on the limit of diarrhea daily...I assumed it was just a bit of stress because I am in the first weeks of a whole new job where I am doing a lot of overtime in order to gain my footing.

But the lack of sleep is making my mind cluttered and it is very difficult. I have to get a sonogram and blood tests, but since I work long hours, it is going to be difficult to get an appointment soon- it may be a while before I get the tests done and start treatment.

I know some here have a lot of knowledge of nutritional aids and natural treatments. Is there any advice one could offer to help me get some sleep???

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Melatonin. It's natural, not habit forming, and my physician takes it herself. She recommended that I use the 5mg self dissolving tablets and take it 30 minutes before bed time, allowing for 8-10 hrs of sleep. It works great for me. When my daughter was having issues with sleep, we consulted with her, and she told her to use the same thing. I hope it does for you as well. It may actually be beneficial for you if you are hyperthyroid.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

I'm sorry to hear that Blue. Like you, I also have thyroid issues. My issue is hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's), underactive thyroid, which of course would be the opposite of your ailment. Mine causes weight gain, and lots of joint pain when I'm not taking my levothyroxine medicine. I'll have a high TSH level(Thyroid stimulating hormone).

There is one thing you might want to consider trying. It's an adaptogenic herb and it's called Ashwagandha. You can get it in capsule form from Pure Encapsulations. It can balance thyroid hormones; therefore can help people with both hypo and hyper thyroid issues. It has a number of other attributes such as:

Improve thyroid function
Treat adrenal fatigue
Reduce anxiety and depression
Combat effects of stress
Increase stamina and endurance
Prevent and treat cancer
Reduce brain cell degeneration
Stabilize blood sugar
Lower cholesterol
Boost immunity

I got mine from my naturopathic doctor, but you can order online as well. I have capsule and liquid form that I originally got to regulate my adrenals. It's nice because it just regulates instead of you having to add things which may put your body further out of whack.

I hope this helps you. I, for one, know what a bummer it can be when you're diagnosed with something you'd never think you'd get.

Ashwagandha Benefits: Thyroid and Adrenals

~ Noah

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: pivilu

How long have you taken Melatonin? I've used it several times since I have issues with sleeping through the night. I was taking 3mgs, but was concerned about taking the 5mg. It does seem to work, but I could use a stronger dose.

The reason why I asked how long you've been taking them is, like other pills or supplements over time your body sometimes becomes accustom to it and then it becomes less effective.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Valerian herb

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Iodine moderates the thyroid activity, smaller ions like fluoride and chloride actually fire it up. The constant firing up of the thyroid without making T3 into T4 with the iodine will unbalance the adrenal gland. This causes goiter to be created. Also isotheocyanates stimulate the thyroid and off balance T4 production and lead to goiter.

Hyperthyroidism if let run too long turns into hypothyroidism eventually because of the damage it causes. Moderating the consumption of goitrogens like cruciferous veggies is essential. Also making sure to consume enough iodine is good, remember that you need to eat enough salt for the iodine in iodized salt to do any good. I take a multimineral pill which contains about twenty five percent RDA of Iodine every day.

Iodine moderates energy, most people think it gives you energy. It gives you endurance mostly, not energy. It actually settles people, why do you think the government mandates it in certain salts. It settles people, makes them less chaotic, and also gives them the ability to make properly working adrenaline.

I am trying to think how hyperthyroidism makes you feel. You feel like you got lots of get up and go but have no gas in the tank to go anywhere. I have had goiter a few times, Iodine usually takes care of it in a few days. With hyperthyroidism you have less immune system function and healing ability too.

Cure the disease guys, don't try to treat the symptoms with stuff like melatonin and valarian root.
edit on 28-4-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Appreciate the learning and remembering as well as your particular takes Ricky ...

Knowledge is key ...

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here's what you don't want to hear. It won't get better until you start a treatment plan with your doctor and follow it. I have Graves Disease so I know exactly how you are feeling. It WILL gradually get better as you progress through your treatment. It sucks. I found out I had thyroid issues after being sober for 6 months. Double Whammy! for anxiety and sleep issues. My GP started me on anti-thyroid drugs and beta blockers until I could get in with the endocrinologist. That helps, but its gradual. I tried melatonin and some herbals, but what I found worked the best was exercise. Exhaustive exercise. Think boot camp cardio. Swimming and calisthenics worked great for me. The exercise may have become unhealthy to be truthful, but it worked. Diet may not do you a heck of a lot of good until you get real treatment from your doctor.

You have a metabolism right now that is well into overdrive. You're probably crapping 5-6 times a day and eating 5000+ calories.
Healthy calories are better than junk. Diet can help a lot later, though, especially once prescription antithyroids are in the mix. Do some research. Buy some books. Educate yourself. Meditation helps, too.

It's going to be unpleasant for a while. Keep in contact with your doctor and take your meds at the same time every day.

For now, exercise will help you sleep, and it helps with the anxiety.

reply to: Bluesma

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: GorillaSnoop
Here's what you don't want to hear. It won't get better until you start a treatment plan with your doctor and follow it. I have Graves Disease so I know exactly how you are feeling. It WILL gradually get better as you progress through your treatment. It sucks. I found out I had thyroid issues after being sober for 6 months. Double Whammy! for anxiety and sleep issues. My GP started me on anti-thyroid drugs and beta blockers until I could get in with the endocrinologist. That helps, but its gradual. I tried melatonin and some herbals, but what I found worked the best was exercise. Exhaustive exercise. Think boot camp cardio. Swimming and calisthenics worked great for me. The exercise may have become unhealthy to be truthful, but it worked. Diet may not do you a heck of a lot of good until you get real treatment from your doctor.

You have a metabolism right now that is well into overdrive. You're probably crapping 5-6 times a day and eating 5000+ calories.
Healthy calories are better than junk. Diet can help a lot later, though, especially once prescription antithyroids are in the mix. Do some research. Buy some books. Educate yourself. Meditation helps, too.

It's going to be unpleasant for a while. Keep in contact with your doctor and take your meds at the same time every day.

For now, exercise will help you sleep, and it helps with the anxiety.

reply to: Bluesma

Graves disease is pretty rare and is an extreme example. You have to treat that way different than plain old hyperthyroidism. I do not know if the OP has grave like hyperthyroidism. Is there any cure for Graves disease or is one of those life long inconveniences?

I actually make too much taurine, which is a different problem altogether, but it makes it so you cannot stop doing things until you get real burnt out and then you fall asleep and start making it all over again. This genetic variation is actually a compensation for another deficiency of sulfur metabolism. It makes your pee stink when you pee it out.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Do you drink soda and eat a lot of sugar and carbs (chips, bread, etc.)?

If so, stop immediately and go on a protein and vegetable diet.

edit on 28-4-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I am noting all ideas - thank you very much, each one!

I don't eat a lot of junk food really, I don't like sugar. Lately I haven't been eating much at all. I have no appetite. I am eating one meal a day lately, just in the evening. But I've been under a lot of stress for the last eight months or so, which might be taking a toll.

I also ended up in the hospital last weekend because we thought I was having a heart attack. Turned out to be spasms of my intercostal muscles. I need to get back to getting regular exercise and doing yoga again.

I will be getting treatment - my doctor ordered blood tests and a sonorgram first, which I am not sure when I am going to be able to fit it in, but I will do.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Irregular heartbeat... feels like your heart skips beats?

Have potassium level checked as well. I was in the ER twice with low K and it took months to figure out I had a hyper-adrenal issue.

Metoprolol / Toprol can address the adrenaline rushes and irregular heartbeats if it is a similar hyper-metabolism issue. It works pretty well.
edit on 28-4-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I heard a boron and copper deficiency can cause hyperthyroid.

I would start with those two minerals and see if your symptoms improve.

Also, get more magnesium in your diet. People don't talk about magnesium but it is one of the MOST important mineral in your body, because it regulates the usage of all other minerals (including your electrolytes, since it is one)

In fact, I would start with boron first, because extremely low boron levels can effect the metabolism of magnesium, meaning you rability to use it, If you can't use magnesium, you can't activate many enzymes n your body.... some that fuel the usuage of sodium, potassium, vitamin D, C, calcium, etc. Also, you encounter the symptoms of deficiency in all of these minerals (including magnesium)
edit on 28-4-2017 by FelisOrion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Sorry to hear it Bluesma!

In the last year or so I have had trouble maintaining a healthy weight, I gain really easily then have change to a diet of proteins and vegetables only to try get back. I feel like I am losing the battle even with all that work as I had to go up a size in clothing. I think it must be thyroid related as my diet is not bad at all, in fact probably healthier than I had been in years.
Age....it sucks.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Get back to the " beer and barbies " diet.

It's a DNA thing ...

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I have been using it on and off for several years. My physician recommends that you use it to reset your circadian rythm/clock. She would say that you should take it for at least a week and then try to take it it for two days then off one day, then one day on, one day off, until you stop taking it. And re-start should you need it again.

But she also has patients that she has given it to that use it daily. She states that no to bodies are the same, and that you should use it as you see fit.

I have severe bouts of insomnia and I do have weird bouts with my thyroid (but not prolonged enough to be medicated) so, I take the melatonin when I see my sleep schedule is getting off kilter -like now. I start gradually. Right now, I find myself not wanting to sleep until 3-4:00 AM, so I take the pill 30 minutes earlier each day, and it works, until I get to the point where I am sleeping @ 9-9:30, which is much more appropriate for me. Then I ride that wave until I start to veer off again, and start the process all over again.

I hope this helps. I buy mine sublingual, which seems to work much better than the one you just swallow, at least for me.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I have tried taking melatonin, but it only seems to help for a very short period- like I'll fall asleep for a couple of hours, but I'll still wake up at 3 or 4 AM (after a very troubled and light sleep).

I haven't had the time to get my tests done yet. I leave too early in the morning for the labs to be open, and then work keeps me unable to stop for the next nine or ten hours- when the labs are closed!

The good thing is that I am able to work that long only having had four hours of sleep, and without eating at all.

I am having trouble getting some of these things advised here- some of it is just not available without a prescription (France is a bit more strict on that stuff).

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Thyroid disorders are a disguise to justify some of the effects caused by EU intelligence manipulations of people's body functions using Neurological-Biological-Genetic weapons. Alteration of the Thyroid function is therefore not a cause of problem but a consequence of manipulation that intends to put a subject into dependencies with various pharmaca provided by big Pharma. These pharmaca would be used as a blackmail weapon, because if you are not properly provided with them you might die. Same thing applies to other types of pharmaca that "supposedly" regulate blood pressure, circulation, or other aspects of human functioning and metabolism.

top topics

join