It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much do you want?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Since 1913

It's legal.

Not moral.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

The wealth-grabbers will never answer your question.

The thread would be barren if left to them so far...........

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

The estate tax will continue to piss me off. Even when I'm dead.

No, it really won't. Nothing will bother you then. Absolutely Nothing.
edit on 28-4-2017 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Finally something to look forward to.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

If you buy things (Food, Cell-phone, Internet, Cars, Clothes, etc..) you're paying a decent portion of your income in taxes right up front.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
How much should I have to pay?

That would depend on how much I get for my money.

Clean water, clean air good schools, safe food, top notch medical care, a secure future, good roads,

What is being offered for my tax dollars?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Ronald Reagan reduced taxes and the number of tax-brackets to 4. Did Democrat Bill Clinton increase the number of brackets and tax rates again?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

Well, I am definitely not one of the wealth grabbers, but we do need to pay for roads, bridges, water lines, gas lines, military and none of those things are free. No one ever really thinks of that. Without taxes, all that would quickly start to fall apart. We enjoy living in a huge country. Most of out states are bigger than many countries in Europe and it takes money to pay for the upkeep.
Personally, I think anyone making less than 25k, should pay nothing. It's hard enough to live on that and they claim 14k of that is taxable income. Right.
No one should be paying over 25%, unless you make over a certain amount per year. Of course, if they lower federal taxes, they'll find a way to get it all back.
Uncle Sam always finds a way to dig in your wallet.
edit on 28-4-2017 by DAVID64 because: It's early, I've only had one cup of coffee so far and I made a mistake..ok?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

All together, about 32% of what I made last year.

That's it?

Closer to 50% is what I'm paying.
32 might be off the top, but factor in tax on gas, things you buy, registration fees for automotives, government mandated insurances...

How much do they want?
More.

I'd be happier with 10%, but I don't want to give any. Five percent would be more than enough to fund infrastructure if it were done correctly.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   

It doesn't matter what you pay in taxes. What does matter is the purchasing power of your take home pay. To talk about one without the other is retarded.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

This is a fundamental.

If your purchasing power was guaranteed by fixing the amount you get paid so that it never falls below inflation, no matter what work you do, so that you could always afford to live and save as well, no matter how expensive things became, then paying taxes would be like taking a bathroom break, in that you would not be over much inconvenienced by it.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

It doesn't matter what you pay in taxes. What does matter is the purchasing power of your take home pay. To talk about one without the other is retarded.

Not really.

I keep hearing that people that make over a certain amount need to pay their fair share.

Some say 70%... 80%... up to 100%

Purchasing power don't mean dick if you're literally giving all your money away.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

a reply to: neo96

Do you mean 0% federal, state and local?

That's what I mean.

Zero

Nada

Zilch.

Not a damn cent.

No income tax.

Both the Federal and state government make enough of other taxation.

The only thing the income tax does is prop up already bad political ideology in to failed social engineering projects.

The checks to balance the states power had another level.

The three branches, and MONEY.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

The estate tax will continue to piss me off. Even when I'm dead.

No, it really won't. Nothing will bother you then. Absolutely Nothing.

You underestimate my ability to hold a grudge

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Both the Federal and state government make enough of other taxation. 

So basically, consumption tax?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

No.

Reign in spending,.

Get rid of bloat

And that's that.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

NUUUTHIIING!

I cant frigging wait until the nine big corps finally dissolve all world governments, and declare themselves as the masters of this planet, or fail to do so, and we all get to live in the post apocalyptic heaven.

All for one and one for all

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: SBMcG

Well, I am definitely not one of the wealth grabbers, but we do need to pay for roads, bridges, water lines, gas lines, military and none of those things are free. No one ever really thinks of that. Without taxes, all that would quickly start to fall apart. We enjoy living in a huge country. Most of out states are bigger than many countries in Europe and it takes money to pay for the upkeep.
Personally, I think anyone making less than 25k, should pay nothing. It's hard enough to live on that and they claim 14k of that is taxable income. Right.
No one should be paying over 25%, unless you make over a certain amount per year. Of course, if they lower federal taxes, they'll find a way to get it all back.
Uncle Sam always finds a way to dig in your wallet.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem at all with paying taxes. In fact, because of my chosen profession of the last 25 years or so (land development), I can't think of any business or line of work that is more heavily taxed. Everything I touch is taxed.

Also, I am totally onboard with President's Trump's proposal to invest $1 trillion in our infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc..) -- it's long overdue. But his plan calls for private financing of most of that, which IMHO, is the way it should be done. There are trillions in languishing capital out there right now -- more than at any time in our history. Let's put that to work!

My issue with the wealth re-distribution crowd out there (present company excepted) is that they are totally clueless as to how business really works.

Many small businesses require a significant level of accumulated "wealth" (working capital) to operate. In my case, my LLC has to maintain a certain net worth, as do I individually, to get favorable financing terms from banks. In my line of work, 25 basis points (0.25%) difference on a construction loan can mean the difference between a decent profit (15% is always my target -- most of the time it's less than that) and a loss.

Right now, at significant expense for legal and accounting help, I can defer and reinvest profits generated by my LLC to avoid a truly catastrophic tax liability, and I pay myself a fairly modest amount as a salary that is basically just what I need to live on to avoid as much personal income tax as I can.

The bottom line for me is that if my tax rates went up by much at this point, especially if that increase was specific to some additional leftist entitlement program like universal healthcare, I would quit. I mean that. I'm too young to retire and enjoy what I do, but I would sell all business assets, take the one-time tax hit, live off passive investments, and do something else -- maybe even nothing. I'm sure my girlfriend would just love that last thing (not...).

My personal feeling is that everyone over the age of 18 who receives earned income should pay some tax.

Right now, the bottom 60% pays almost nothing (2 - 4% depending on how you calculate it) and the top 20% (most of whom are small business owners like me) pays about 85%.

Even if someone only makes $10,000 in a year, they should be able to pay a real rate (after personal exemption and deductions) of 1% in taxes. That's about $8 a month.

$20,000 a year? How about 2% -- about $34 a month. $40,000, 3%, $100 a month. Leave the top 20% pretty much where it is...

My feeling is that no one should pay more than a net 33% of their personal income or net 20% of business/corporate tax. Again, everyone should pay some Federal Income Tax.

I appreciate your honesty about fixing numbers to what you feel would be fair tax rates. It looks like you'd be more lenient than this right winger would be, heh heh...

edit on 28-4-2017 by SBMcG because: Correction

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that's what I paid. Middle class, single with kids I can't/don't claim is a 8!+(4.

I apologize if i didn't articulate this correctly. I'm not asking what anybody paid.

I'm asking what percentage of income should be paid.

I'm asking what people believe is fair. Individually.

The fact that Trump's tax package includes massive cuts across the board for everyone, rich and poor alike, and all the ones who won't answer you can do is gripe about it because it "cuts taxes on the rich" should tell you all you need to know about their tax philosophy.

If you make more than they do, then you can never be taxed enough.

And I predict that's the answer they would give if they had the guts to answer honestly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join