It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRA withdraws disarmament offer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Souljah,

If there is 'no other way' why do you quote Gandhi?????

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Maybe Ireland needs to have its terrorist cells routed out!? Ha, er, only a joke. Of course, it would be very difficult to argue that the British have no right to make punitive expeditions into it.

On the other hand, I think that the British leadership realizes that that wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Maybe Ireland needs to have its terrorist cells routed out!? Ha, er, only a joke. Of course, it would be very difficult to argue that the British have no right to make punitive expeditions into it.

On the other hand, I think that the British leadership realizes that that wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.

After 25+ years of conflict it is time to try something different. The IRA knew the writing was on the wall after 9/11 and that US support for their cause would dry up, remember NORAID collection boxes you found in the US? Mainly in Boston, New England? Well that money didnt go to help political prisoners, for the most part it bought arms and ammunition.
The only way forward is through dissarmement only then can Britain withdraw all its forces from NI. We have an obligation to the protestant majority who wish to remain part of the UK and we want to do it by peaceful means but i guess the IRA dont want that, by refusing to decommission they are sending a clear message that they still consider armed violence a legitimate tool in their quest for a completely Irish Republic.

A link about NORAID

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Janus]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacemunkey
Souljah,

If there is 'no other way' why do you quote Gandhi?????

there is ALWAYS another way.

but then again, this is not my struggle,
so i guess they dont share my opinion.

for them there is no other way.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

there is ALWAYS another way.

but then again, this is not my struggle,
so i guess they dont share my opinion.

for them there is no other way.

We offered them another way, decommissioning of arms in return for a part of the peace process and a voice in a Northern Ireland assembly. It seems they have turned this down so they cannot have their weapons taken beyond their reach. This says to me that they have no real desire for a peaceful solution and may go back to the killing at any time.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

I have several "associates" that were in the SAS in those days. You did what had to be done. The world really doesn't "get it".

Oh and you do calling one side terrorists and the other soldiers?

Once you see they are the same thing on other sides of one coin.. then maybe

Another issue with the NI peace deals were the Unionists suddenly decided they didn't trust the word of the Canadian Genral guy who was overseeing the disarmement. The Unionists suddenly upped the stakes and wanted photographic evidence. The IRA saw this as an attpemt to humiliate.

Also the accusations of the robbery are just incredible this is a organization that is very tight and well established that has (and this is the important bit) birthed A LOT of splinter groups. Now if any one of these splinter groups pulled the heist... the IRA did NOT do it.

[edit on 3/2/2005 by Corinthas]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

Originally posted by DrHoracid

I have several "associates" that were in the SAS in those days. You did what had to be done. The world really doesn't "get it".

Oh and you do calling one side terrorists and the other soldiers?

Once you see they are the same thing on other sides of one coin.. then maybe

Another issue with the NI peace deals were the Unionists suddenly decided they didn't trust the word of the Canadian Genral guy who was overseeing the disarmement. The Unionists suddenly upped the stakes and wanted photographic evidence. The IRA saw this as an attpemt to humiliate.

Also the accusations of the robbery are just incredible this is a organization that is very tight and well established that has (and this is the important bit) birthed A LOT of splinter groups. Now if any one of these splinter groups pulled the heist... the IRA did NOT do it.

[edit on 3/2/2005 by Corinthas]

Do you have a credible link to back up your claim they didnt rob that bank? Or is that your opinion?
Yes the IRA is a very tight orginisation and i know that this robbery would not have taken place without one of the terror groups either knowing about it or taking an active part. As for the Unionists wanting pictures of the decommissioning i recall seeing Unionist weapons being destroyed on TV, is it not fair and right to ask for solid proof that the weapons are beyond anyones reach. I believe the IRA were looking for an excuse to withdraw from the process as they did not want to give up their weapons, of course this is my opinion and i have nothing to back that up.

My appologies i miss read your post about the IRA didnt do it, i believe you were saying that if a splinter group did it the IRA did not, is that right?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
We have an obligation to the protestant majority who wish to remain part of the UK

Indeed. This is what mediators call 'intractable conflict' I beleive.

The people in northern ireland, even tho they largely immigrated there from england/scotland, are the citizens of it and want to remain in the UK. The others didn't. Thus, ireland is divided. Military attacks won't 'liberate' northern ireland from the people that live there.

Maybe a compromise can be arranged, and every irish citizen of the republic can get a chance to piss on Cromwells exhumed corpse?

Might be worth having different currency in ulster.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljahfor them there is no other way.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yes Janus.. i was sayin that.

Usaully when the IRA say they did not do it... it means exactly that, and another group did it. How much went on beween the two is anyones guess tough. ;p

The irish call it shenannigans

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
oh well so I guess when I throw money on the irish flag this st pattys day I will be getting arested for supporting terrorism

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Corinthas....

Usaully when the IRA say they did not do it... it means exactly that, and another group did it.

Like the time they didnt train any FARC guerillas in Colombia??

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by noctu
oh well so I guess when I throw money on the irish flag this st pattys day I will be getting arested for supporting terrorism

No, but when you give to NORAID you indirectly and without knowlage give support funding to Irish Terror groups, its always been like that.
If you want to help people in northern Ireland the choose who you give money to wisely, just as you would with any charity.
Besides there are plenty of Senetors who are supporters of the Irish Republicans, Ted Kennedy being but one.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Maybe a compromise can be arranged, and every irish citizen of the republic can get a chance to piss on Cromwells exhumed corpse?

Quite a few people would like that singular honor, myself included. He did things that we are still paying for today, Northern Ireland being one.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Souljah,

You fail to mention the murders that the IRA have committed in the name of their so called cause.

Enniskillen, Omagh, Warrington, Birmingham etc. etc. they indiscriminally killed Men, Women and Children.

The Provisional IRA are not fighting a cause they are murdering for power.

Much the same way as the insurgents are today in Iraq.

Do you not realise that the British Government regularly interned INNOCENT catholics for no reason at all, tortured and sometimes murdered them. This does not condone the innocents killed on either side, but you should get off your high horse for a minute. The thing that really irritates me is that most people see the IRA as the problem, I see the Loyalists as the problem, and the UVF/UDA as there has been NO call for them to disarm. Suddenly they "don't exist", but guaranteed that they are there and they are as much involved in illegal activities as the IRA. The Unionist parties like DUP and UU have close ties and have some members in the loyalist UVF/UDA, yet no one points this out, it's always Sinn Fein/IRA.

I for one beileve that the IRA did not commit the bank heist, I believe that it was either one of two scenarios,
1. The British Government with the Special Branch orcestrated the whole thing with the help of the UDA to discredit the IRA.....these people do not want to share government with Sinn Fein/IRA. The deal was getting too close for some loyalists so discrediting the IRA was the only way to turn the public against the IRA again.

2. A rogue element of the Real IRA (responsible for Omagh), who are not to be associated with the Provisional IRA, carried out this heist to fund their continuing "war" against the British military presence in Northern Ireland. They will let the PIRA take the blame, because it suits their purpose to begin hostilities again.

Finally......The IRA are not "murdering for power", they are fighting for FREEDOM, much the same as any guerrilla group in an occupied country, like Iraq.
"Much the same way as the insurgents are today in Iraq".......these people also fight for freedom and to free their land from INVADERS (the USA).
What would you do if the USA were to be invaded and held by a hostile enemy? I think a lot of Americans would fight back any way they could.....much like the freedomfighters are doing today!
Funny how the occupiers, ie. US and UK, are the ones taking over countries and trying to control the world????...yet it is the freedomfighters who are seen as the enemy and the wrongdoers ??

Born and bred in Northern Ireland.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Corinthas....

Usaully when the IRA say they did not do it... it means exactly that, and another group did it.

Like the time they didnt train any FARC guerillas in Colombia??

Sorry...that was a farce trial.....basic human rights were violated......these three guys had no chance.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
All irish terrorists are the problem not just the IRA.

unfortunately the majority of the populace in NI will not be free of violence until they rid idiots who still believe that violence is the answer.

If the IRA are fighting for freedom, why are they heavily involved in Drugs, money laundering, prostitution, racketing, murder and robbery, and I hasten to add that the loyalists are also involved in the same.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I actually think it was MI5 , they have screwed up ceasefires before and would do so again.
MI6 made one up in the troubles but MI5 broke it....

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

All irish terrorists are the problem not just the IRA.

unfortunately the majority of the populace in NI will not be free of violence until they rid idiots who still believe that violence is the answer.

If the IRA are fighting for freedom, why are they heavily involved in Drugs, money laundering, prostitution, racketing, murder and robbery, and I hasten to add that the loyalists are also involved in the same.

The reason being "funding", they don't get grants from the government. How else do you think the freedomfighers throughout the world fund their activities?? (unless you are of course backed by a billionaire like Bin Laden)

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So what they funding now??? nice shiny new guns??? - to replace the ones they have decomissioned?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join