It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California single-payer healthcare bill passes first committee test

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ok, we have California passing the first hurdle to a single payer health care system.

A sweeping measure that would establish government-run universal healthcare in California cleared its first legislative hurdle Wednesday as scores of supporters crammed into the Capitol to advocate for a single-payer system.

The Senate Health Committee approved the measure on a 5-2 vote after a nearly three-hour hearing, but Democrats and Republicans alike signaled unease with the major question still unanswered in the legislation: how the program would be paid for.
www.latimes.com...

The plan is to have a publicly run system for everyone in Cali even those without legal immigration status. This would drastically reduce the insurance companies role....

The bill, SB 562, would establish a publicly run healthcare plan that would cover everyone living in California, including those without legal immigration status. The proposal would drastically reduce the role of insurance companies: The state would pay for all medical expenses, including inpatient, outpatient, emergency services, dental, vision, mental health and nursing home care

But Sen. Janet Nguyen wants to know how we can move forward with out a financial analysis? But Sen Ricardo Lara said there is a detailed financial report coming in mid May. My experience with these financial reports are they are full of sh!t and wrong----anyone remember the ACA?
But Sen Toni Atkins said they are not going to so this on a whim, they want it to be sustainable If they want it to be sustainable, they better get costs under control--no matter how it is done with out some sort of cost control it will crash.

How can we go forward with this bill without a fiscal analysis, a detailed financing plan?" asked Sen. Janet Nguyen (R-Garden Grove).

Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens), a coauthor of the bill, said a detailed financial study would be completed in May, before the bill is heard in the Appropriations Committee, a key fiscal panel.

"Sen. [Toni] Atkins and I are not just going to do this on a whim," Lara said, referring to his coauthor, a Democrat from San Diego. "We want to make sure it's sustainable."

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I expect that once they do the math and then companies like Blue Cross and Dignity Healthy pull their politician puppet strings, this will not see the light of day.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I hope all who like single payer move to CA and enjoy it.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well that's all well and good, except for the illegal immigrant part.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Feds need to pass a resolution immediately that whatever happens in California, stays in California. They failed to prevent political idiot osmosis from Cali to surrounding states (less AZ and Utah so far), but this is above and beyond even California's usual brand of beaurocratic tomfoolery.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesjr

I fear you are right, there are profits to mine out of those sick people.
edit on 27-4-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

link   
Well, removing California with it's super high medical wages from Blue Cross and regular insurance should drop everyone's insurance costs in the country to affordable levels. I bet their insurance will cover plastic surgery in California. I bet they have no idea how much their cost is going to be. I bet they will have a huge tax on everyone.

link   
Go peoples republic of California!

Telling business what they can build.

Telling what products their residents can legally own.

And forming a super monopoly over a single product!

YAY California!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Feds need to pass a resolution immediately that whatever happens in California, stays in California. They failed to prevent political idiot osmosis from Cali to surrounding states (less AZ and Utah so far), but this is above and beyond even California's usual brand of beaurocratic tomfoolery.

I think you have a good idea there.

link   
a reply to: whywhynot

I think no matter what we do we are on a collision course with a complete crash of our med system.

It is the most expensive and is somewhere around 30th for quality.

link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
I hope all who like single payer move to CA and enjoy it.

Is that not the point of states?

They can all try diffrent things?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

The immigrant part is mute, they already get free health care.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

How are they going to pay for it? How much will it cost? Not like Cali is cheap. Devil is in those details. Some one is paying for it, who?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I have a little secret, it is all going to crash. This system is not viable. Do you think it is?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The problem is.

Romney care begat Obama care that begat California care.

These things effect us all.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't know how much my costs are going to be in Michigan, well other than going up, up, up.

And if cali is gone out of the insurance pool do you really think it is going to lower costs or increase profits?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The problem is.

Romney care begat Obama care that begat California care.

These things effect us all.

But california care is a state only law.

Nothing in the constitution says how a state should run its healthcare.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

That is a question for everyone isn't it. If we keep going the way we are, a catastrophic plan for a family will be double the cost of a mortgage.

Competition and cost controls must be used. For profit medical care is a scary scary proposition.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Did someone tell that to Jerry Brown

www.latimes.com...

"I don't even get it," said the governor. "How do you do that?"

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

But there are anti monopoly laws on the books.

That's only real accomplishment was the outlawing of private monopolies.

The federal and state governments are already the single largest insurers in the country.

Between competition that's been killed, the regulation that increased costs

'Single payer' should not even be a thought in anyones minds.

Because it is the monopolization of a good or service.

Only one place to shop, and if you get screw or don't like it.

People are SOL.

Snip out of luck.
edit on 27-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join