It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Antonio mayor Ivy Taylor argues atheism is to blame for poverty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Y'all need Jesus you hear? Lack of faith is a major cause for poverty if not the cause according to this fine woman from San Antonio:

Megan Legacy, the director of SA Christian Resource Center, asked during the forum: “What do you see as the deepest, systemic causes of generational poverty in San Antonio?”

“I’ll go ahead and put it out there,” Taylor said. “To me, it’s broken people…people not being in a relationship with their Creator, and therefore not being in a good relationship with their families and their communities….and not being productive members of society. I think that’s the ultimate answer.”

Nearly 15 percent of the city’s population lives below the poverty line, so this kind of answer is surely not going to sit well with her constituents and predictably caused some backlash after the comments were posted online.

Taylor claimed that her comments were “intentionally edited to mislead viewers,” though the full livestream video shows no signs of intentional editing.

thegrio.com...

Apparently you need to be in a relationship with the man above the sky for everything to fall in place. Gee whiz I never knew it was that simple? Just become a saved woman or man and everything will fall into place. I can't, I seriously can't for the life of me understand how people like this woman get elected? Her comments are highly offensive and ignorant to put in plainly. I know some well off folks who just happen to be athiests. I myself am agnostic, I don't see my absence of being religious a factor in my life. I know more religious folks, christians, struggling on the breadline. And they go to church almost every week. And no I don't think her comments were taken out of context, they are very clear.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

It's interesting that she says that since the world's poorest countries are all theocracies of the Christian or Muslim variety.
edit on 27-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well, regardless if its real or not, the fact that if someone believes they are accountable to something/someone and thus have a reasonable moral compass you would have an advantage in making proper decisions as far as spending limited funds on priorities, like Rent, food, and kids.

Of course everyone is vulnerable to random catastrophes that could rip money, health, and employment away.

I think the former, rather than the latter is where the quoted in the OP was focusing their point on.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

But the lord shall provide!

Apparently not..

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I'm not sure the lady knows her own religion. Christianity has a reoccurring theme throughout the bible that constantly talks about the poor and meek being more moral in the long run than the rich and greedy. If anything, Christianity should encourage being poor to emulate Jesus.

American Christianity just bastardized Jesus' message by contorting it to say that Jesus supports capitalism and unchecked greed.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Well, regardless if its real or not, the fact that if someone believes they are accountable to something/someone and thus have a reasonable moral compass you would have an advantage in making proper decisions as far as spending limited funds on priorities, like Rent, food, and kids.

Well if this is the case, how do you explain the fact that the majority of the poor and the those poorest nations happen to be religious God fearing, christian, nations as well? Your explanation falls flat when we look at the stats. I mean I understand why you would think that but this makes no sense when we look at reality. Also, people will always have their vices and religion will do little to change that. My late uncle was a god fearing man, a family man, and yet he was at one point a serial gambler and not too faithful to his wife. I love him, but his religious beliefs did little to steer him on the right path. I've seen this over and over again.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

With respect to you and your uncle, thats my point.

Regardless of everything, he made decisions that were contrary to his "religion" and by the way you phrased it derailed his life trajectory. Had he not been tempted to chat another woman up or throw money down on a bet, he wouls have had a smoother ride, so to speak

My original point was not to say religion will keep you safe from making bad choices in itself, but rather when the way set before us in (for example only) Jesus's teaching -when followed- lead you to avoid moral pitfalls. Its a moral compass. We all fall off the path, and it usually has consequences.

I'm not evangelizing here, just being the 'devils advocate' in the OP... LOL
edit on 4272017 by Butterfinger because: detail

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

A couple problems with that is first, Atheists have morals just like Christians do. They're just as accountable as anyone else and I think most realize that.

Second, as we can clearly see, having a moral compass doesn't always put someone in a position of success as far as money is concerned. In fact, some of the most immoral and ruthless people in the world are very wealthy because they are able to act in such immoral ways that bring them great profit.

Typically it's poor people who have the strongest moral codes because they have to in order to deal with poverty and still feel ok about their difficult life. While people of great wealth don't have strong moral beliefs because they can afford not to.
edit on 27-4-2017 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
she is saying that there are no poor Christians in the world.

or maybe she is saying that if you are poor and are a Christian then you aren`t a real Christian.

the woman doesn`t even realize what she is saying, probably insane.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

.......... probably insane.

Ah! Yes! Seems to be a prerequisite to being a "politician"!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

ummmm If you need a something/someone to be accountable to not to commit murder, or kill a puppy, or commit heinous crimes, then that reeks of poor upbringing or sociopathy....not atheism. Some of the coolest atheists I know are deeply kind people who volunteer and help people daily.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Ridiculous. Why the heck would you need to be a follower of religion to be a kind,decent person who helps others when they can? I think many people have this warped view of atheists as these brooding,rude,hostile people who are just seething with hatred.
It is one's duty to take care of one's household first.The main obstacle to most average people helping others in their communities and elsewhere more than they are,is financial restrictions,not religious affiliations.

The Abrahamic religions are a cancerous pestilence upon humanity.

By the followers of Judaism,Christianity,and Islam this entire planet is owned and played like a friggin monopoly board.

HOW'S THAT WORKING OUT SO FAR

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Give a man a fish. You feed him for a day.

Teach a man how to fish. You'll feed him for a lifetime.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
If you think atheist is causing poverty then send the link to this video to other people so they can send their rooms to Hell and so become believers.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

As long as there are still fish to catch then sure.

Just curious what that means in reference to the conversation so far???

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Teach a man how to fish. You'll feed him for a lifetime.

LOL,

Today's version:

Teach a man how to fish and he will ask you why the hell you just don't just give him more fish and making him fish is oppression.
edit on 27-4-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Apparently she see's zero distinction between socioeconomic poverty, and moral poverty.

It reminds me of these people lately that everything is "racism".

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
She actually has a point, though I'm not sure she intended to make it. Stability is one of the greatest factors influencing most people's development of financial security. Now if parents end up providing their kids with stability by virtue of a God, then great, so be it.* And it does happen that former alcoholics and drug addicts will find some kind of salvation in church, and stop using drugs, get a job, and so on.

As for American politicians who go around saying silly things like this, you know what's worse than having people fight back furiously against you? Having nobody even care enough to lift a finger.

*I don't live in the US. Christians in my country are much more harmless bunch. Christians who sequester themselves away from non-Christians and so on are just considered weird and are largely ignored by most of society.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Here was I thinking greed caused poverty

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
God created atheism.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join