It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China talking with European Space Agency about moon outpost

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The Associated Press is reporting, according to ABC News, that China and the European Space Agency (ESA) have begun talks about a potential colloboration on a human outpost on the moon.

Representatives of China and the European Space Agency are discussing potential collaboration on a human outpost on the moon and other possible joint endeavors, according to a spokesman for the European agency and Chinese media reports.

The secretary general for China's space agency, Tian Yulong, first disclosed the talks about the envisioned lunar base in Chinese state media. They were confirmed Wednesday by Pal Hvistendahl, a spokesman for the European Space Agency, or ESA. "The Chinese have a very ambitious moon program already in place," Hvistendahl said. "Space has changed since the space race of the '60s. We recognize that to explore space for peaceful purposes, we do international cooperation."

The director general of the 22-member ESA, Johann-Dietrich Woerner, has described its proposed "Moon Village" as a potential international launching pad for future missions to Mars and a chance to develop space tourism or even lunar mining.

Source

So it would seem that we are yet again in a race for the moon of sorts, after quite a long hiatus.

The race seems to be heating up a bit too, with private actors joining the fray, a fact perhaps demonstrated by the following tweet about the news story by mr Robert Bigelow, of Bigelow Aerospace:

Source.

BT

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If things go well, I can see a day where there might be wifi on the moon, busy teams of lunar employees, working hard each day to keep our species advances in space going..... Could you imagine this: "Yes my job requires some travel. Today I have to go to the moon, to oversee a few things, and sign off on some private supply orders- I'll be back by the weekend little timmy!"

-Alee

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Yah, sure, all they have to solve is how to go back there and return without doing it the exact same way they did it before.

Moon mining, processing ore, refineries refining and smelting, machine tool shops fabbing the complex structures required to survive on the moon without getting blasted by the suns radiation and micrometeorites, degraded from the lo G, and cleaning off the eternal, irritating jagged moon dust that gets into everything.

Lots of luck....
edit on 27-4-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

As a journeyman welder. I think it would be really cool to have the title astronautic journeyman welder / pipe fitter!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: RogueWater

All of the electrical arcing Sparks and hot slag produced with welding might be hazardous to a space suit.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: RogueWater

As a journeyman welder. I think it would be really cool to have the title astronautic journeyman welder / pipe fitter!

As an accomplished welder, whats your opinion on the kind of bead you think you can lay down in zero oxygen, microgravity?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

A perfect one.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: RogueWater
a reply to: RogueWater

All of the electrical arcing Sparks and hot slag produced with welding might be hazardous to a space suit.

Hi speed grinders would be even more fun...

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Interesting that they are bypassing the USA considering its potential for spending.

With the UK being the only real conduit of influence between the USA and Europe, maybe brexit is allowing more collaboration between China and the eu.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex

A perfect one.

As soon as the metal becomes molten it would begin to splatter, floating molten plasma balls around, hardly a 'perfect' weld.
edit on 27-4-2017 by intrptr because: clarity

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Well, talking about the possibility of doing something and actually doing it - and footing the bill for doing it - is obviously two different things.

I, for one, am excited that we are getting a new moon base initiative.

We have been slacking, as a species, in this regard for decades :-D

BT

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I'm no physicist but I think it would be just fine. Gravity dosn't hold the puddle in place here in earth , the arc does.

'Course, I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I could be wrong (highly unlikely though) but weren't we warned to never return to the moon?
Why would we taunt the moon men by building a base there?
There are moon men right?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Why would they "float" around?

The Moon does have gravity. It's only 1/6 of Earth's, but that's more than enough to make any splatter fall. It will travel a bit further is all.

SMAW Or MMAW welding (aka "Stick Welding"), does not require oxygen. It requires electrical current and two pieces of metal. The electrical arc is what heats the metal up to weld it together (and why you can do welding underwater).

As for safety for the welder: It would pretty much be the same as here on Earth.....a simple cover and very large helmet visor. Obviously you'd want to be more careful, and make sure that you never weld alone, but have a buddy with you, both of you would carry patch kits to take care of any possible suit breaches.

And believe it or not: even here on Earth, that stuff cools very quickly. Can still raise a blister by the time it hits the ground, but depending on what the suit material is, would be way too cool to melt through it by the time it reached it.

We've had welders for over a century welding things in very deep water.....I think they'll be able to handle doing it on the Moon just fine.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The only moon base will be Military.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: beetee
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Well, talking about the possibility of doing something and actually doing it - and footing the bill for doing it - is obviously two different things.

I, for one, am excited that we are getting a new moon base initiative.

We have been slacking, as a species, in this regard for decades :-D

BT

Because any effort to go to the moon and return must be accomplished the same exact way.

Gynormous Saturn V boosters burn mega pounds of fuel, earth orbiters, lunar transition vehicles, moon orbiters, moon landers, earth return and reentry vehicles...

by the time they get to the moon they sit in their tin can with just enough oxygen for a few days of camping, and barely enough fuel power and oxygen to return to moon orbit, then get home.

Its literally impossible to build a base on the moon with that kind of arrangement and impossible to go and return safely without it.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

Ah! I see you are a Blue Oyster Cult fan. Good.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The Moon does have gravity. It's only 1/6 of Earth's, but that's more than enough to make any splatter fall. It will travel a bit further is all.

The electric welding arc strikes the metal with considerable force, that in that lo gravity would create molten splatter, immediately.

Beside 'traveling around a bit' the weld itself would be spackle.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A good opportunity to post this video, then: www.youtube.com...

But keep in mind that welding on the Moon would have to be vacuum arc welding, and that might occur differently than the regular welding done in an atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You're busy thinking of the ISS or like on a asteroid.

This is the moon. It still has 1.6m squared gravitational acceleration. That's nothing to sneeze at. Yah, weaker than Earth, but enough to really do some damage to an object falling from high enough.

Watch some of the Apollo videos, you'll see when they drop stuff, it falls. It don't float away or act like it's in a 1/200 of 1 G

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join