It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Married 69 Years Die Minutes Apart, Holding Hands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hello ATS...

It always brings me back 'home' to ATS when I see these news reports...

So beautiful...

The children of a suburban Chicago couple married for 69 years say their parents died just 40 minutes apart while holding hands at a hospital, the AP reports.
newser

Relatives say the husband and wife were holding hands when Teresa Vatkin passed away.
(same link)

With so much 'ugly' in the world - I'm always touched to my soul when reading accounts of such enduring love.

peace

edit on 2659Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

What a beautiful, symbolic end to their intertwined life stories. Thank you for sharing this... very much. I needed some light and "love" today, it's been a dark day for me personally
just beautiful

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

When I figure out how to retrieve my posts from the past I'll link up a number of other threads I started on the same subject. It will take learning the new (to me) ATS interface to do so but when I 'get it' I'll post the links.

And yes, hearing about these two lovely souls is as sad as it is lovely laced with a great wealth of hope.

peace

edit on 3409Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

It's a beautiful story in one sense of the word, but can you imagine what their children must be going through? I lost both of my parents in less than 6 months; I know how that was. I can't even imagine going through that in less than an hour.
edit on 26-4-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Granted their children must be in such heartbreak.

On the other hand? If their children had any idea how much thier parents loved each other?

What a blessing to know they came so close to 'graduating' together - and now are together again.

If it were my parents it would give me such joy - tears - but joy!

I hope you find peace over your parents passing.

peace
edit on 2412Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Something similar to this happened in my family when I was four years old. An "Aunt and Uncle" who were actually distant cousins lived on the next farm. Their children and grandchildren lived far away so the neighborhood children were treated like their grandchildren. I spent many happy afternoons with them, "helping" to feed the critters or snapping beans on the porch watching the lambs play in the farmyard.

This happy state of affairs was shattered when she got a diagnosis of inoperable cancer. At that point in my young life I'd never lost a close loved one. I overhead my mother telling my grandmother that "Aunt Etna" didn't have long to live and my heart broke. A few months passed and they were moved to a care home then she had to be hospitalized. In those days they didn't let little kids go to hospitals so I never saw her after she left the care home. I cried every day because I missed them so much. Most afternoons after Daddy got off work he would take me to see Uncle Fonza. In the afternoon of Good Friday, my mother got a call saying that Aunt Etna had died. It was expected of course, and my mother's words to me as she sent me to tell my grandparents, who lived next door and didn't have a phone, "Tell them that she's passed from her pain." I did. They cried for a bit but their main concern at that time was for Uncle Fonza. He was apparently perfectly healthy so it surprised me when my grandmother said, "If their prayers are answered, he won't last the night."

I stayed with them for a bit and then started home. I saw my mother on the porch beckoning me home. When I got there she told me she had just gotten another phone call, this one from the lady at the care home. She had gone to his room to tell him about Aunt Etna's death. She consoled him for a bit then asked her to call his sons and let them know and allow him some time for himself before she told the other members of the household. She made the calls he had requested and returned to his room some thirty minutes after she'd left him. He was dead in his chair just as she'd left him. She remembered hearing them say that they wanted to die together but she never to that day really, really believed in the power of prayers.

That was the saddest Easter of my life. My parents did their best to distract me with Easter bunnies but their funeral on Easter Sunday was the first funeral of a close loved-one I had ever attended. That was 59 years ago and the events of the afternoon they died are still very clear in my memory.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Incredibly bittersweet. Here's hoping they passed on the secrets to that kind of love to their children.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

What a beautiful recount of your loved ones. I got goosebumps reading the account.

I'm so happy they went together - though of course I'm sorry for you loss, even all these years later.

Thank you so much for sharing this! Made my day.

peace

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Sad story that reminds me of my Great grandparents who passed within days of each other , just goes to show the power of love

new topics

top topics

join