It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminist author backs Muslim activist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yassmin Abdel-Magied was absolutely f***ing correct in her status about Anzac Day and it's utterly atrocious what she's being hit with now ...

The real reason conservative politicians, right wing newspapers and good old fashioned racist Aussie dickheads feel so comfortable baying for the blood of a woman like Yassmin is because she is a Muslim woman of colour who they want to believe doesn't have the right to be here.

Yassmin Abdel-Magied is worth one million of these derelict a***holes. I'd rather have her here enriching Australia and its culture than any one of them, any day of the week.

But unlike Yassmin, I was born here. So you can f***ing come after me, dickheads. Tell me to leave if I don't like it. Tell me I'm a disgrace. I've heard it all before and I am not afraid of you. You people are a pathetic bunch of cowards with no f***ing respect for history or the absolute f***ing devastating tragedy of war.

IT IS YOU WHO DISGRACE THE MEMORY OF THE ANZACS, IN YOUR GLORIFICATION OF WAR, NATIONAL PRIDE AND PROPAGANDA.
(Link)< br />

A Brief Summary of events put into Context

Yassmin Abdel-Magied first caught widespread national attention after her appearance on an Australian TV show with a guest panel themed format involving the discussion of various topics and issues from around the country and even the world, especially topics of a political or social nature, called Q&A (Google it if you need to as the Wikipedia summary link won't work due to formatting issues.) Not long ago, she appeared on that show and got involved in a heated discussion with already well-known politician Jacqui Lambie. The instances of heated discussion even made worldwide news I think, so you might now even know what I am referring to.

If not, just to inform you: Yassmin Abdel-Magied is a Muslim activist living in Australia who made the following statement: "Islam to me is the most feminist religion. We got equal rights well before the Europeans. We don't take our husbands' last names because we ain't their property." (Source). If that still doesn't ring a bell, here is the YouTube Video of the incident: The discussion. Even that needs to be put into context if you don't watch the video I just linked: Jacqui Lambie is well-known for her anti-Islam views and having her on the show at the same time as a Muslim activist was going to lead to what happened anyway, but what is very significant to notice is the way the argument has been misinterpreted by different groups with different interests — see the "My Analysis of the whole series of events" section later.

When Yassmin Abdel-Magied was pushed far enough to lose her composure, she intentionally misrepresented the point Jacqui Lambie was trying to get across to her. In other words, Yassmin Abdel-Magied was forced to admit she didn't have a valid answer to Jacqui Lambie's criticism: Sharia (law) is incompatible with Australian Law and its social values and culture. Any objective observer of that incident can see Jacqui Lambie's comments had nothing to do with feminism AT ALL. But Yassmin Abdel-Magied chose to interpret it that way to avoid discussing why Sharia is bad for Australia.

The latest article linked above

Yassmin Abdel-Magied made a controversial post on Facebook on the 25/04/2017 which was ANZAC day in Australia, which was deleted after she started receiving strong backlash for the statement. I cannot verify the FULL statement anywhere, but it has been widely reported as along the following lines:
Using the phrase "Lest we forget" (an established phrase in regard to ANAC day, perhaps even worldwide, as a day to recognise the heroic efforts of war veterans from the past) with other words involving global conflicts and past events involving Muslims and the West and also drawing attention to Australia's hypocrisy in regard to its controversial policies of past and present. Basically, she was politicising the term "Lest we forget" to express her strong opposition to Western involvement in Muslim countries and Australia's hypocrisy, and our failure on a national level to recognise those issues, while still fixating on a national level to the past actions of veterans whose efforts we do recognise and appreciate for protecting our way of life.

Enter Clementine Ford. I don't think I need to put Clementine Ford's position into context because it will detract from the purpose of this thread. In short: she is a feminist author who is backing Yassmin Abdel-Magied for her deleted Facebook comments and holding her up as a beacon of light within the feminist and Australian Muslim communities. That is all detailed in the article.

My Analysis of the whole series of events

You can say what you like about Jacqui Lambie, and plenty has been said about her, but she does come across consistently as sincere in regard to sticking to her principles instead of hiding behind an ideology and pretending she still does. Can the same be said for Yassmin Abdel-Magie? I don't believe so if you consider the latest fiasco mentioned in the above article. Is that a good thing? Maybe, who knows these days?
The reaction of the majority of the Australian MSM was predictable: use this isolated example of a Muslim making a mistake and making a mountain out of a molehil in regards to if we should support Islamic beliefs in Australia. The prediction of non-Muslim supporters of Islam within Australia was predictable: most of them rushed to the defence of the women because she is an activist who happens to be coloured, female and Muslim. The predicted response of the feminist community was predictable: use a non-related controversial topic and make it a feminist issue, while also getting to demonise anybody critical of feminism. The only party not predicatble at this point is the ATS communty's response once it is all put into context. Hence, this thread.

Yes, Jacqui Lambie is excessive in her anti-Islam rhetoric. Yes, Yassmin Abdel-Magied has been harshly criticised at times when she didn't deserve to be, but I doubt that is ONLY because of her gender, race and religion. Is Australia overly sensitive when it comes to criticising the widespread fixation on the heroic past efforts of the ANZACS? At times, YES, but let's not forget her post was made on ANZAC day either, so it's not as if she was picked on for no reason at all. Clementine Ford, despite not knowing much about her besides being a prominent feminist author, has decided to disregard EVERYTHING and put her ideology before logic, reason and facts about what happened. Is it surprising? No, but it is AGAIN highly disappointing.

What should we ask ourselves?

Can ideology really overcome reason? In this case, I believe it most certainly CAN. And sadly, this is not an isolated example.

Edit: Formatting changes, small edits and better clarity given.

edit on 26/4/2017 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I just can't take anybody like that seriously.

Every other word is an insult.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Any feminist who accepts, endorses or apologizes for islam is not a real feminist.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
She needs to learn the effectiveness of the well-placed f-bomb.

Overusing it dilutes its power.

And makes you sound retarded.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
She needs to learn the effectiveness of the well-placed f-bomb.

Overusing it dilutes its power.

And makes you sound retarded.

You could say that about many Aussies.
Every other word is a swear word in convo with an Aussie.

That's not a diss by the way, just a fact from my experiences.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Saw this while browsing you tube. Just a little further down the menu was a guy called Ben Shapiro who has a video about why the left supports Islam.

I'll paraphrase (and probably make a hash of it but...) The globalists (extremist left) hate western values and want to destroy the western way of life. So do the extremist islamists.

They have a common cause so will try and destroy it together. What happens if they succeed?
They will turn against each other.

There's a lot of hate around right now.
Sad but that seems to be the world we live in today.
edit on 26-4-2017 by Tulpa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Yes, Ben Shapiro is a wise man and worth taking seriously (despite my personal disagreement with him on his views relating to abortion, and his views in regard to Gun Control in the US - his views on those issues are VERY surprising considering he uses religious beliefs (while pretending he doesn't) to justify making the first issue way more simplistic than it actually is, and uses irrational reasons to justify not putting ANY gun restrictions in place in the US in regard to that whole topic.

Despite these two criticisms of mine, it is extremely difficult to dismiss his vast knowledge, deep vision, strong conviction and his usual commitment to holding logic, reason and facts above personal ideology or his own religious beliefs. His participation is invaluable in helping us recognise issues such as those raised in my opening post and helping give us the knowledge and motivation to try change things for the better.

I will definitely check out that video because I have yet to watch him discussing anything to do with Islam as the sole focus. Do you have a link?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
You could say that about many Aussies.
Every other word is a swear word in convo with an Aussie.

That is true in regards to many Aussies communicating in general, informal situations. While it does seem strange for those outside Australian culture, it is more representative of the general Australian's belief that being laid back and reasonable is better than being too serious and hysterical.

In regard to Clementine Ford, the feminist referenced in the opening post, while she was on Facebook probably directing the anger she felt for the Australian public's reaction to Yassmin Abdel-Magied's post, and directing that anger towards her circle of friends for support (which cannot even be confirmed because her post seems to be a letter to the people she is criticising), your defense of her for taking part in the above is invalid. She was mainly using her emotions (using vulgar language instead of words that could accurately describe how angry she was feeling) to defend the post of Yassmin Abdel-Magied, despite misinterpreting the reason for the backlash. Even worse, she misrepresented the message behind the person she is defending, failing to understand that person's original message. All of this can be confirmed by reading Clementine Ford's Facebook post (below).

So no, she is not blameless on either count.

If you are suggesting Clementine Ford was just having an informal chat with her buddies, using vulgar language because the whole situation SHE created was now too stressful for her to continue taking seriously? Then, no, you would be wrong on that assumption as well.

But don't take my word on that, go confirm for yourself:
Original Facebook post of hers.

That's not a diss by the way, just a fact from my experiences.

That's not a diss on your perspective by the way, just a fact from my experiences.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Sorry. No link.
Just stumbled across it while passing the time away on you tube.
I'm terrible for it but I just watch a bit of this and a bit of that. Whatever looks interesting on the suggestions menu.

There's a lot of crap on there and I just wander through

I agree he is a smart chap for such a young guy. I don't agree with all the things he says on one or two other videos I've seen but he does make some very good points sometimes.

I think it was just titled Why the left supports Islam.
edit on 26-4-2017 by Tulpa because: Not too helpful I'm afraid

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Aussie here, the lady is a joke but in saying that shes entitled to her opinion wether i like it or not.

The tollerance towards Muslims here is low atm but weve had out share of terrorist attacks by Muslims and our vetting system is second to none. Its a tough political and religious climate we are all in somethings going to give. Waiting for climax.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang
Aussie here, the lady is a joke but in saying that shes entitled to her opinion wether i like it or not.

I know that I, as the author of this thread, have no issue with her expressing her opinion AT ALL. Even more so because it was on her own Facebook page. However, it seems odd she didn't want any media attention for doing so if the post was addressed as a letter to the people she was criticising. Why justify your opinion if the people you are criticisng won't even see your post? Just so that others who already agree with her can feel sorry for her plight and support her? If she cannot handle comments from people outside her circle, why is her page not set to private?

The tollerance towards Muslims here is low atm but weve had out share of terrorist attacks by Muslims and our vetting system is second to none. Its a tough political and religious climate we are all in somethings going to give. Waiting for climax.

That is sad and true. Unfortunately what we are seeing now is an extreme reaction from an Australian public that has been forced into silence for so long in regard to raising concerns about Islam, not Muslim people themselves. It is understandable though if you realised how far most Muslims and Islam apologists have gone to prevent any discussion on the issue. The public is ALWAYS accused of "going too far with their criticism" and "crossing the line between criticism of the religion and criticism of the people who follow it".

You know the easiest way to fix THIS issue I have just described. Muslims themselves need to come out and say "We love both Australia and Islam, but if we were forced to decide, we would place our identity as Australians above our identity as Muslims." NO single Australian Muslim has done that to this date. And in the situation they are pressed to do so, they will do exactly what others are about to do in response to this reply of mine: "Why do Muslims need to do that? Why them in particular? Why not ask Christians or Jews if they will do the same!"

The reason is clear, it is irrefutable. Because Muslims have placed themselves in the position for the need to do this, whereas Christians and Jews have not. If you disagree with that, then why are articles like I referenced in the opening post and the preceding series of events before it never put into context, and the root of the problem raised is never even looked at.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Another bat# feminist clearly demonstrating that what she really craves is male domination. Strong males are rare, but adherents to Islam are directed by faith to dominate women, and that is what she, and so many others like her, are gagging for.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This doesn't reflect Australian society at all. At least not Queensland society. Everybody at work thinks SJW's are idiots, there are a couple of SJW types there and they are not well liked at all, anyone who starts saying "you're being racist against muh gender" and so on, they just get laughed out onto the street.

There is a massive backlash against SJW's. It's very quiet, and a lot of people won't talk about it openly, which is f-ing crazy because we live in an open, democratic, free speech society... right? So why are we talking in whispers? But yeah I meet a lot of different people for my job, and politics comes up quite often, and I'm yet to actually converse with someone who doesn't agree with me in that SJW's are idiots.

Because Islam is not compatible with feminism at all. I've read the Quran and the Hadiths. It's not compatible with actual feminism nor SJW feminism. People who say it is are actually lying. I mean legit, these people are actually straight up lying.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeepThoughtCriminal
This doesn't reflect Australian society at all. At least not Queensland society. Everybody at work thinks SJW's are idiots, there are a couple of SJW types there and they are not well liked at all, anyone who starts saying "you're being racist against muh gender" and so on, they just get laughed out onto the street.

I agree. It's just so sad that the few actual SJWs have so much power and influence when it comes to public debate of issues they do not like being looked into.

There is a massive backlash against SJW's. It's very quiet, and a lot of people won't talk about it openly, which is f-ing crazy because we live in an open, democratic, free speech society... right? So why are we talking in whispers? But yeah I meet a lot of different people for my job, and politics comes up quite often, and I'm yet to actually converse with someone who doesn't agree with me in that SJW's are idiots.

It's not worth speaking about openly at present. I hate to admit it, but the power of labels is still well and truly on their side. Racist, xenophobic, homophobic, sexist, misogynist, bigot, Islamophobic, transphobic etc. all still have immense power compared with anything we have. We have SJW. Which they think is a pejorative when it's actually satire!

Because Islam is not compatible with feminism at all. I've read the Quran and the Hadiths. It's not compatible with actual feminism nor SJW feminism. People who say it is are actually lying. I mean legit, these people are actually straight up lying

How is it NOT obvious to feminists? Do they side with Islam to piss off anybody who doesn't believe in "the patriarchy?" (I don't think Islam would even side with feminists if they knew what "the patriarchy" actually meant either.)

Strange times.

edit on 27/4/2017 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

top topics

join