It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congratulations! Ann Coulter finally silenced on Berkeley Campus

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: fredrodgers1960

When someone dies, they will be marginalized and their death will be blamed on themselves.

The media won't report it.

But yeah, people will die.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

I'm so sorry to hear that you were assaulted.

What they meant about exchanging oppression is that maybe you want to silence people from speaking out against the gay community? Or something like that?

I have gay friends and I am unjudging... but I would never try to silence anyone. I would perhaps engage in a short debate about it and make my personal points but I would never try to silence anyone from voicing their thoughts and feelings. In fact I encourage people to voice their opinions... because then at least I'll know who is who.

Criminal acts however is something that should be protested and dealt with imo and I also believe tolerance and respect of other peoples different lifestyles (as long as they are not breaking the law) should be encouraged. That includes respecting Milo and Coulter.

Making violent threats is not encouraging. Two wrongs don't make it right.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I see no good at all coming from any of this. I think back to when my father's generation defeated Hitler, and he's rolling over in his grave watching all of this happening.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: User1138

The oppression I am referring to is the de-platforming of conservatives from Schools, Media, Society, things like Religious persecution, etc.

The anger you are experiencing is (from my point of view) not personal. It comes from this line of thinking:

If someone cool happens also to be gay, bi, trans, or eskimo, you and I will hear about it. If you are less proud of what you do than who you do then you're considered cool. We've moved so far from a color blind society that even the color blind have their own society. If you need to tell me you're gay, i'm thinking your not really gay. I'm just thinking your boring. Right now as i write this, the media is reporting a gay man trying to make the nfl. Remove "gay" from the equation, and the reporter has to find another story. The story will will never be "Gay man doesn't give a # about being gay."

Stretch this infestation of cool-aid over the past 3 decades and it's no wonder the streets are flooded with asexual mopes who talk from the back of their throats as they bowl in Brooklyn ironically. How we got to a place where men in skinny jeans rank higher in achievement and status than men in military-issued camo is mental gymnastics beyond the limits of my simple, sodden brain.

De-platforming is jargon. I'm not familiar with this concept, so had to google it. The first link is about Richard Dawkins being de-platformed by feminists. I can't tell if de-platforming just means "complaining about" or if it's a German thing. Care to enlighten me? Does it mean cancelling an event?

I agree and disagree with your statement that the anger I experienced wasn't personal. I disagree because it was my nose, which I hold as very personal and dear to me, that met the bigot's fist. I suppose it was impersonal since I didn't know this man. But wow, did I have an effect on him. Who knew I was so powerful?

As for the other part of your post, where you make the point of how people should be more proud of what they do rather than who they do as somehow being mutually exclusive, I have this to say: I am married. I am a man. When I talk about my husband at work, people around me know I'm gay. I don't go around wearing a gay flag shirt. Being gay is part of who I am. It doesn't define all there is about me. But it's a trait, like brown eyes. I can not separate myself from it, because I have "the accent," if you know what I mean.

Then you talk about how the media frames a story vis a vis the NFL. That's the media's job. To get eyeballs on news. It's not news that someone is trying to make the NFL. That happens everyday. There's no novelty to it. What does make it novel is that this person just happens to be gay. Juxtapose the idea of a gay man with an institution that is known for its hyper-masculinity, and it becomes a novel story. The story will attract viewers, which attracts advertising dollars.

Besides, the media isn't something that you or I can control. It's going to position a story in such a way that serves the media outlet's audience and meets business objective for a certain amount of internet traffic, viewers, clicks, etc.

A story about a gay person who doesn't give a # about being gay would be a really boring story, so I agree we won't really see that make the news. Would be quite ridiculous if we did, though. Would you click on it? I don't think I would notice it.

Now the last part of your reply is about sulky, asexual people in Brooklyn who go bowling. I have no beef with these hydras, and wish them every happiness.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960
a reply to: DBCowboy

I see no good at all coming from any of this. I think back to when my father's generation defeated Hitler, and he's rolling over in his grave watching all of this happening.

Notice how they call the children of men who faught the nazi's fascists. Classic activist tactics, accuse the opposition of doing exactly what they themselves are doing.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

The university receives more than $8.5 billion in federal dollars for education, research and healthcare — a significant chunk of the system’s $25-billion budget. Federal funds are UC’s single largest source of research dollars, amounting to more than $3 billion.

www.latimes.com...

The overall California budget for higher education 10.3 percent of the state budget in 2007-08, but just 7 percent by 2012; it rose to 8.7 percent in the recently enacted 2015-16 budget.

So this budget is for all colleges no Berkeley alone.

In the wake of the economic downturn, California’s higher education system, like public universities nationwide, fell prey to deep budget cuts, and continues to spend far less on higher education than it did before the recession, when adjusted for inflation.

So Berkeley along with other Public education institutions depend on federal funding for their everyday needs.

Still federal funding surpass private donors and state funding.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

I'm so sorry to hear that you were assaulted.

What they meant about exchanging oppression is that maybe you want to silence people from speaking out against the gay community? Or something like that?

I have gay friends and I am unjudging... but I would never try to silence anyone. I would perhaps engage in a short debate about it and make my personal points but I would never try to silence anyone from voicing their thoughts and feelings. In fact I encourage people to voice their opinions... because then at least I'll know who is who.

Criminal acts however is something that should be protested and dealt with imo and I also believe tolerance and respect of other peoples different lifestyles (as long as they are not breaking the law) should be encouraged. That includes respecting Milo and Coulter.

Making violent threats is not encouraging. Two wrongs don't make it right.

Thank you. It happened more than 20 years ago. Things have changed a lot since then, but something like that never leaves you.

I don't think people should be silenced for speaking out against the gay community. Far from it. For myself, I would rather know where someone stands so I can take my business elsewhere or stay away from where I'm not welcomed. I also think it's good for younger people to see that the majority of society doesn't agree with some bigoted views.

Free speech doesn't mean freedom from criticism once someone speaks. That's what makes our democracy unique.

Milo and Coutler are provocateurs. Should they be respected? I guess, whatever that means. But I don't think they want to be. Otherwise, they wouldn't try to provoke outrage. That's part of their shtick.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

De-platforming is the rejection of specific ideas from a social, educational, media, or other public platform, while promoting others. What does being german have to do with anything? They are violently leftist.

You failed to address/completely ignored my point that on the social scale people care less about our men and women serving our country, working hard jobs than they do the simple novelty of gay people, no matter what they do.
edit on 28-4-2017 by User1138 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: User1138

"Raise awareness" is a term the stoners used to support the need for Woodstock. Im pretty skeptical about that particular term. in 2012, awareness was raised regarding Kony. Look how that turned out.

"Raising awareness" is code speak for "deploying memes". Screaming into the abyss. That kind of stuff.

I'd rather we raise standards. Like questioning why this particular campus tends to repeatedly be a flashpoint for violent liberal political protests.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: User1138

De-platforming is the rejection of specific ideas from a social, educational, media, or other public platform, while promoting others.

You failed to address/completely ignored my point that on the social scale people care less about our men and women serving our country, working hard jobs than they do the simple novelty of gay people, no matter what they do.

Oh, sorry about that. I'm a focus group of one, but I don't see what you do about the lack of stories about men and women who serve the country. On Facebook, a lot of my friends and family post memes about liking a picture of a soldier helping a child in a war zone. We have patriotic holidays set aside for recognizing people in uniform.

Your statement *is* conjecture, though. The part about "on the social scale people care less about..." is something that may or may not be true. I don't know if anyone has actually studied that.

But if you think about it, it's nearly impossible to avoid positive portrayals of the military in our society. Both political parties recognize the sacrifices that soldiers make. When a military person stands up at an event to make a comment, and says something about their service, they inevitably get applause.

Now, my grandmother may agree with you. She forwarded an email to me the other day about how so many people are talking about the one-year anniversary of Prince's death, but not forwarding emails with pictures of eagles and people in uniform. I replied saying that, "people can miss Prince and be patriotic, granny. These are really nice pictures. Thanks for sending them. Really brightened my day."

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

perhaps you could tell me where i lost you, and we can go from there.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

They don't care about your property now, what makes you think that by appeasing them... they will ever respect your property?

And it's not like these speakers are making violent threats against anyone... they are not the criminals here. I see your point but you're short sighted. If you continue to comply to criminal behavior, then you're putting your property into the hands of criminals for safety and protection... in which case, because of the violent threats- you know that they don't give a flying fug about your property.

It would then be more cost efficient to manage that criminal behavior and nip it in the bud before it grows into a ruling force that never respected your property from the very beginning and will milk you dry for all your profit in the end.

Just a gentle reminder, the 150 can easily turn into 150,000, and more. Fear!

This.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

We were there, reconnaissance is also essential

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

saying we are fascist for fighting fascist ideology is a false equivalence

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Notice the Leftists sitting

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

lol.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX

If I murder a murderer, does it make me a murderer?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Notice the "Right" Roman Saluting...

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX

You are a mental midget

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics