It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congratulations! Ann Coulter finally silenced on Berkeley Campus

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I think if university administration put as much effort into providing leadership away from expressing frustration in violence as it did placating the ever changing desires of his students, there would be less griping in this regard. Only the dimmest individuals want to stifle the boiling cauldron of ideas you find in academic settings. Its the boiling over that is concerning, especially given how much the college age demographic controls American pop culture.

Granted, violence is a small fraction of the annual life of a UC Berkeley student, with most only (at most) bearing witness to it and not seeking to invoke it. That said...cancer is only a small fraction of the human biome. I think neither should be ignored, for similar reasons.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

They showed up with their mask, helmets, weapons ready to fight, they were so ready they would all run to one spot and start yelling at random people.

it was pathetic

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: neo96
Yeah really congrats Berkeley!

Job well done.

Applause,Applause.

Got any more books ya want to burn ?

ann, don't let the door his you on your skinny ass on the way out...c'mon, she did this to get attention from your kind so she can sell more books, and book more vulgar speeches...she knows her audience and she knows how to make a buck off of the slopped-headed

Willful ignorance much?

there are dozens of videos showing constant violence toward wrong-thinkers, am I just imagining this?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Contrary to Berkley's fears, there was no violence, and therefor no need to restrict the civil liberties of a speaker and those that wished to hear her for the sake of security. What a waste of everyone's time.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Holding a conservative rally in Berkeley is like holding a KKK rally on the westside of Chicago. Of course it isn't going to go down without some drama. Milo, Coulter, everyone knows this, which is why they schedule so many events in Berkeley.

What better way to trick conservatives into thinking there's a war against them? Even though they won the White House and most of the other seats in government. Hmmmmm....

It's indeed just theater. It doesn't mean squat about free speech or censorship. It's just a talk by a right wing entertainer at a school known for its liberal bent. Nothing more. Both sides benefit from the drama. Political symbiosis, if anything. Look how much talk it's generated on ATS alone.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
a reply to: Gryphon66

They showed up with their mask, helmets, weapons ready to fight, they were so ready they would all run to one spot and start yelling at random people.

it was pathetic

Yeah where were you pussy? at home at mommy's house? face it if you don't show up you lose. You saw we were prepared for a throw down and didn't bother to show up because you only fight when you are unopposed, cowards. the sad thing is that you energy is misdirected, I know you are leftist revolutionaries. but your own party does not support you. rep and dem party leadership are heavily disconnected from their voters. you should me mad at the establishment not the people.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

it was pathetic

Where were your antifa boys? I guess the struggle against fascism doesn't happen on Thursdays.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think the administration is busy with administering a university and is probably scratching their collective heads as to why publicity media whores like Coulter and Milo and wanna be anarchist kids picked their campus. I also think keyboard warriors are more worried about it than the admin and 39 975 students that are either giving or going to lectures, submitting research and doing exams.

edit on 28-4-2017 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Slightly OT Science is now being used to silence. The women's marches, travel ban protests, and now earth day protests are not to raise awarness, but to silence the opposing views. It's just more censorship. BTW I believe global warming is a thing, I just don't think that it is 100% the government's problem.

edit on 28-4-2017 by User1138 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I can't accept that the administration is too busy to deal with very public violence being attached to their university's name.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Oh for heaven's sake.

1) no platforming somebody is not impinging their freedom of speech. It's just saying to them hey look, we don't want to hear your hate speech round here.

2) Coulter knew exactly what she was doing by booking this appointment and then pulling out of it. That's precisely what she wanted, because she wanted to stir up this outrage amongst her followers.

Typical tripe.

1) De-platforming happens to everyone, even to someone like feminist Germaine Greer or Madeleine Albright. They were invited, but pressure groups forced the schools to cancel their speech. Can you name one thing these people have said that could be considered hate speech? No, you can't, because you're peddling piffle.

2) Full on correspondence bias, derived from nothing but your feelings.
edit on 28-4-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Put it this way, if you hosted at one your properties a totally random conference. And from this it sparked clashes.
Would you think you and management are responsible for the thinking of the media whore that showed up and the actions of anarchy kiddies that need a bath and a good steak ? or would you think you provided a conference room space for the event, and then had to cancel it because of safety concerns ?

Would you besides canceling it be anything other than annoyed that your entire working day and the work focus of all your staff are being over run by hissy fitting key board warriors fanning the flames and saying that you and all your staff and all your hotel guests are extremist violent oppressors of freedom of speech?

I know I would find it extremely annoying and would wish they all just piss off, as would you, and as I suspect does the uni admin and majority of the student body.

edit on 28-4-2017 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: icanteven

originally posted by: underwerks
Holding a conservative rally in Berkeley is like holding a KKK rally on the westside of Chicago. Of course it isn't going to go down without some drama. Milo, Coulter, everyone knows this, which is why they schedule so many events in Berkeley.

What better way to trick conservatives into thinking there's a war against them? Even though they won the White House and most of the other seats in government. Hmmmmm....

It's indeed just theater. It doesn't mean squat about free speech or censorship. It's just a talk by a right wing entertainer at a school known for its liberal bent. Nothing more. Both sides benefit from the drama. Political symbiosis, if anything. Look how much talk it's generated on ATS alone.

Lol it's like you brain is a Bentley, designed specifically so you don't feel any bumps in the road

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is the face of Obama's liberalism...nothing at all like the free speech many of us fought for. Makes me sad and a bit frightened for the future of of our country.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

Exactly. The people here are being played through their outrage. It'd be comical if the people in this thread didn't take themselves so seriously.

But seeing as how they seem dead serious, it's pretty unsettling how easy it is to turn people against each other.

Maybe one day eyes will open and everyone will notice who the real enemy is, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hint: It's not each other.
edit on 28-4-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Someone said Berkeley is listed as a top university in the nation. Maybe that's the attraction to that campus? Hmmm?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

were i in the role of educator it would be different. That is all im saying. Control access to the campus if need be to address the issue.

if you are asking if i could do that particular part of their job better, i think i can.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Typical tripe.

1) De-platforming happens to everyone, even to someone like feminist Germaine Greer or Madeleine Albright. They were invited, but pressure groups forced the schools to cancel their speech. Can you name one thing these people have said that could be considered hate speech? No, you can't, because you're peddling piffle.

2) Full on correspondence bias, derived from nothing but your feelings.

this.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Nah I'm not asking if you can do a job better, but I trust you can

Remember educator does not always equate to admin.
The educators are the professors, the administration are pencil pushers and accountants.

Faculty Deans administer the course content, but the running of the campus itself and broader day to day student "stuff" like housing, events, cafeterias etc is done by business people like us!

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
were i in the role of educator it would be different. That is all im saying. Control access to the campus if need be to address the issue.

if you are asking if i could do that particular part of their job better, i think i can.

The April 15th incidents didn't occur on UC property.

The fault lies with Berkeley the city, not Berkeley the campus.

new topics

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join