It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congratulations! Ann Coulter finally silenced on Berkeley Campus

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Bull.

This is the first time (that I have seen) that you've even acknowledged the violence against her.

Why else do you think she isn't speaking!

It isn't because Berkeley just doesn't like her.

It's because leftists can't handle different opinions and use threats to silence anyone with a different opinion.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: neo96

So you think that Christians protesting against Planned Parenthood are wrong? Is that what you are saying?

We're making a point.

Both rights are explicitly linked to the government in the text. For some on this thread, Ann Coulter was not denied her free speech rights because only the government can do that, not other private citizens. At the same time, Ann's speech was cancelled by threats of violent protest (aka riot). Many of the same people claiming Ann's speech rights were not violated because the protestors are not government say they have every right to protest because it's their first amendment right.

But,

The same conditions you tack on to free speech denial also apply to right to protest ... you only have the right to protest the government in the first amendment.

So if you want the right to protest anyone, anywhere, then you likewise have to concede free speech rights to anyone, anywhere. Otherwise, the you are applying a stricter literal legalistic interpretation to one right than the other to suit your own purposes, but your interpretation creates a precedent that can be used against you in this argument.

Or, let's turn that on its head ...

What if the Christians protesting abortion clinics were behaving exactly like the Berkeley protesters in order to intimidate the staff and clients. Do they still have their right to protest?
edit on 27-4-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

BullS###. Many liberals at Berkeley support her right to speak there. Stop making up stories. Geez I think you should work for Breitbart cause you are really good at it.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
a reply to: Annee

You do realize if the far left simply laughed at and made fun of those they disagree with, we wouldn't be having these problems and a needed full on police presence, right?

Please apply some logic to this, Annee.

Yes and if bad people with guns didn't ever shoot anybody, we wouldn't have any problems with shootings. What's your point?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
a reply to: Annee

You do realize if the far left simply laughed at and made fun of those they disagree with, we wouldn't be having these problems and a needed full on police presence, right?

Please apply some logic to this, Annee.

I've been on both sides and in the middle.

The Right is aggressive, and think everyone is wrong but them.

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

His point is that nobody has the right to protest peacefully.

link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I could be wrong (I am not American) but aren't officers of the law supposed to protect the liberties of citizens in the US? I remember seeing images of police defending KKK rallies from counter-protesters.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

BullS###. Many liberals at Berkeley support her right to speak there. Stop making up stories. Geez I think you should work for Breitbart cause you are really good at it.

Yeah, like you'd support her.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

What if the Christians protesting abortion clinics were behaving exactly like the Berkeley protesters in order to intimidate the staff and clients. Do they still have their right to protest?

Then I would denounce them and I expect you to do the same. BTW that isn't protest. That's just plain violence.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Do you support Obama?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

His point is that nobody has the right to protest peacefully.

Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but it seems to be the same thing I've been saying to make a point.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: kaylaluv

I could be wrong (I am not American) but aren't officers of the law supposed to protect the liberties of citizens in the US? I remember seeing images of police defending KKK rallies from counter-protesters.

Of course they are, but they can do this better and more efficiently if they have better control over the area. Apparently, this venue doesn't allow for adequate control. If it is a planned event, why not plan it right?

link   

Do you support Obama?

Nope.

But I support his right to speak freely.

link   

Then I would denounce them and I expect you to do the same. BTW that isn't protest. That's just plain violence.

It's what has been happening all over at universities, not just Berkeley, to shut down speeches by speakers the left doesn't want to allow to speak.

An entire parade was cancelled in Portland just today just because the local Republicans were marching in it ... as they've pretty much always done. There were threats of violent protest, see.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Do you support Obama?

Support him how?

If you mean his right to be paid to speak, then it's only what most former presidents do with their time.

link   

My first reply:

Your failure to understand that we can differentiate between violence (not supported) and protest (supported) does not make us supporters of suppression. You on the other hand seem all too eager to suppress protest which is also free speech.

I and others have defended free speech and denounced violence.

link   
Coulter just now on Carlson said "Berkeley cancelled, my sponsors acquiesced."

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

You don't think the violence is a suppression of her right to speak freely.

Admit it.

link   

So you admit that you lied? About me not supporting her right to free speech?

link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

So?

new topics

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join