It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congratulations! Ann Coulter finally silenced on Berkeley Campus

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Gryphon66

Berkeley did free speech no favors by reinforcing a belief among its students that threats of violence is what it takes to stop speech they don't approve of.

Is it a civil rights violation? No. Is it concerning to see from a university? Absolutely.

Of course, no one here is speaking the same language. So its obviously not going so well for anyone, despite there being no real reason for any disagreement here.

Berkeley didn't do that though. Berkeley stated quite clearly that they had two imperatives to satisfy, and they did their best to compromise in changes to the venue of the speech and the time.

The Young Americans for Liberty would not agree, and as youngsters do, cancelled the speech.

Berkeley should have let the chips fall where they may I guess. At some point, given that the ugly specter of political violence has been brought back on the scene, we're going to have to work through it.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Hey G?

Serious moment here.

I think you should stop posting in this thread..

I'm starting to fear for your safety.

No telling what some people might do.

I know it sucks but damn.

We'd be sad if anything happened.

I'll take my chances Neo.

Thank you for your concern.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Were i an administrator at Berkeley it would likely be prudent to begin working on programs that will remove some of the extremism on campus.

Passion, yes. Extremism, however, kills the romance in any movement.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Exactly. I'd be saying the exact thing I'm saying now if the roles were reversed and a liberal pundit chose to hold a rally in rural Alabama somewhere.

The same rules apply to both sides.

I'd probably have a stronger opinion about that, mostly because I don't want the assholes of the south making us all look like assholes too. But that is more me taking personal responsibility to manage my neighbor.

Those are good points too. I feel the same way about the protestors in Berkeley in this instance. Which is why I have stated multiple times I don't support that type of asshattery.

Everyone seems to gloss over that and go straight for the attack though.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Were i an administrator at Berkeley it would likely be prudent to begin working on programs that will remove some of the extremism on campus.

Passion, yes. Extremism, however, kills the romance in any movement.

Agree completely.

Also, they need to take into consideration that certain periods require certain responses. If they have to up security on campus and at events, they have to.

Coulter should have spoken. This is just another ratcheting up in the BS rhetoric.

Thanks for the convo, Texan. I'm out.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Nah I just didn't want ATS to get bogged down in wrongful death suits like a California college.

Which is what it's really all about.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'd probably have a stronger opinion about that, mostly because I don't want the assholes of the south making us all look like assholes too. But that is more me taking personal responsibility to manage my neighbor.

I don't want to get too drama queen about all this. Or, maybe I do

These are the times we live in. It's up to each of us to convince each other to just simmer down. This could all go so wrong, so fast

I was going got say it could all head south, but - you know :-)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Coulter should have spoken.

She's the one who actually quit though.

If she'd continued working with the college, they would have accommodated her to speak.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Coulter should have spoken.

If she'd continued working with the college, they would have accommodated her to speak.

Yep, the Young Americans for Liberty cancelled the event in a fit of pique, and Ann with no real excuse for an invitation, gave her usual press conference to spin what actually happened.

She's still going by though, just to see "her fans." Because why waste an opportunity to stir up violence, eh?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I'm guessing that she knew how this was going to go

Whatever she was going to say in her her little talk would have been lame compared to this part of the show

edit on 4/27/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

To be honest, I doubt she ever really wanted to speak, that is why they keep picking Berkeley because we have been the few that have shut them down.

This is what these Neo-Fascist affinity groups do, they hide behind the banner of "Free Speech" and Patriotism just so they can openly organise and recruit in public.

and just so we are all clear, I didn't say 'trump supporters', this is not about politics (albeit political) there is a difference, this is not a 'Trump rally' or a Battle for Free Speech, this is Neo-Fascist groups feeling empowered
edit on 27-4-2017 by XAnarchistX because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2017 by XAnarchistX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Whatever she was going to say in her her little talk would have been lame compared to this part of the show

And sadly, folks on both "sides" are going to give her exactly what she wants ... which is to sow more division and discord.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Anyone still defending Berkely because they still have "one foot within the Constitution" is as much a coward as those trying to silence her.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Berkeley is/was hosting the event.

They have done nothing to promote, protect free speech.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

And sadly, folks on both "sides" are going to give her exactly what she wants ... which is to sow more division and discord.

Exactly. I'm so sick of people on both sides being used by these entertainers masquerading as political icons.

These people only care about politics as long as it lines their wallets. Who cares if the world burns in the meantime from what they say.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

The same rules apply to both sides.

They do

I believe in peaceful protest. And it works

Unfortunately, violence works too, but not in the same way. One side seems to be very invested in realizing a violent left (and it ain't the left)

edit on 4/27/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: small things :-)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX

To be honest, I doubt she ever really wanted to speak, that is why they keep picking Berkeley because we have been the few that have shut them down.

You might have a point.

Do you remember the single elderly Christian woman who intentionally invaded a legal-organized gay pride, carrying a sign?

It made headlines.

Who do you think most of the Neo-Cons supported?

Intention to me, should be considered.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

No one is denying anyone the "right" to speak at Berkeley. As I've said in this thread before, self censorship isn't a violation of freedom of speech.

Sure it is. It's called the chilling effect

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Well, this will all give Trump a perfect chance to really shine - and call out the National Guard

Free PR for everybody I guess. If I were more of a conspiracy theorist - I'd say this is all going according to plan :-)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's a lie and you know it.

www.washingtonpost.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join