It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congratulations! Ann Coulter finally silenced on Berkeley Campus

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: staticfl
a reply to: DBCowboy

Parents stop sending your kids to crapfest universities like this. I told my kids if they do any stupid behavior like this Im removing funding.

To the left: Keep on with your tactics and snowflake emotions, you will loose more elections. We are tired of it.

who cares if your tired of it....she's crude and vulgar, something I guess you will teach your kids to emulate in their own rightwing bubble.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gryphon66

What the student groups did was tamp their foot like most special snowflakes and cry about it.

Sure did.

Which is why Bill Maher called them effing crybabies

Well, you bring up a good point, there are students of all persuasions at Berkeley and they all have equal rights to express themselves within the boundaries of safety.

In this case, because the sponsoring group didn't get what they wanted, they threw a tantrum and cancelled the event.

Are you denying that the Young Americans for Liberty cancelled the speech?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Just thought I'd repeat this since it appears that some have forgotten or have just gotten bogged down in the minutia.

Who cares if it's Ann Coulter or not!

A group used threat of violence to deter/inhibit/prevent someone from speaking.

That is never ok.

No matter how much anyone tries to justify it.

... but Berkeley is not attempting to quell free speech, which is the overwhelming argument here.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: underwerks

If MLK had canceled the Birmingham march because of fear for his own safety, it would have been his fault. But he didn't.

That's the difference between someone with conviction, and people like Coulter and Milo who only serve to create controversy they can capitalize on.

But there is little difference than those in Birmingham, who would censor someone for their opinions, and those in Berkley who would deny the same right.

No one is denying anyone the "right" to speak at Berkeley. As I've said in this thread before, self censorship isn't a violation of freedom of speech.

Mainly because it's a CHOICE. She chose not to speak. If she were physically forced by people you'd have a point, but she wasn't.

I'm not convinced the threats were even made by a left wing group. I know the narrative is that events are only staged when it makes the right look bad, but that isn't the case in reality. There's too much money to be made by her and pundits like her in instances like these to overlook that angle.

To me at least. I recognize that money means more than partisanship to any of these "political" commentators.
edit on 27-4-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Are you insane?

Really. I'm curious.

Because you and others are pretty much establishing that you could give a damn about free speech.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Well, you bring up a good point, there are students of all persuasions at Berkeley and they all have equal rights to express themselves within the boundaries of safety.

Everyone except Milo, and Coulter.

After all that leftist privilege rains supreme in the peoples republic of UC.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm going to repeat this because it's apparent that some have difficulty reading.

That is never ok.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

That's the difference between someone with conviction, and people like Coulter and Milo who only serve to create controversy they can capitalize on.

Neither one of them is any kind of hero. You can't even call Ms. Coulter a thinker. Maybe an instigator :-)

Do you think she would ever take her conviction to the streets? I don't. She's happy to have other people do it for her though

I can't support violence, but this is a no-brainer. Not all the protestors are violent. Berkley has a responsibility to think of her safety as well as the safety of others. As far as any of this goes, the peaceful protestors are well within their rights to protest Ms. Coulter. That is free speech. Even demanding that she not be allowed to speak - is free speech

Any of the people involved in violent protest and destruction of property pretty much get what's coming to them. But - they know that

There’s no Ann Coulter speech planned. But protesters are converging on Berkeley Thursday.

“Rally is ON! Let’s show these Commies the Right will not be silenced. We were once warriors and WARRIORS AGAIN WE WILL BE!!” wrote Kyle Chapman — a San Francisco Bay-area man, who participated in at least two of the previous rallies that grew violent. Chapman became a hero to many conservatives after a video went viral of him at a Berkeley rally breaking a wooden sign post over the head of a far-left protester.

The violent left meets the violent right. They deserve each other. Whiners and hypocrites will claim somebody else started it

edit on 4/27/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Everyone except Milo, and Coulter.

After all that leftist privilege rains supreme in the peoples republic of UC.

Are Milo and Coulter students at Berkeley?

What does it make you when you desperately attempt to employ arguments that you've said were meaningless in the past?

The University acted to keep everyone safe. The student group, as students do, didn't get what they wanted and threw a fit.

They cancelled the meeting. I guess they are the one's inhibiting free speech now.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Yea but like...it's their fault for letting themselves be deterred!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'm going to repeat this because it's apparent that some have difficulty reading.

No - we heard you. We're good. Thanks

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Are you insane?

Really. I'm curious.

Because you and others are pretty much establishing that you could give a damn about free speech.

I think UC Berkeley needs to have it's own Tiananmen Square moment, and stand up to authoritarianism.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

That is never ok.

You've repeated it multiple times, and I agree with you that political violence or the threat of same is WRONG.

UC Berkeley has done nothing to quell free speech.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

It does not matter one damn bit.

EACH AND EVERY person has the RIGHT to voice their opinions.

No matter where it is.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
LOL ... when kids at Emory cried about someone chalking Trump slogans on the sidewalk, how many of you were in favor of that? I'll answer the rhetorical question ... none of you right-wingers, in fact, you were suggesting all sorts of nasty things for the little snowflakes.

Now, at Berkeley, more little snowflakes didn't get what they wanted either, but since they're nominally Conservative, it's a Constitutional crisis.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Berkeley did free speech no favors by reinforcing a belief among its students that threats of violence is what it takes to stop speech they don't approve of.

Is it a civil rights violation? No. Is it concerning to see from a university? Absolutely.

Of course, no one here is speaking the same language. So its obviously not going so well for anyone, despite there being no real reason for any disagreement here.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It does not matter one damn bit.

EACH AND EVERY person has the RIGHT to voice their opinions.

No matter where it is.

And no one is keeping either of them from voicing their opinions. Coulter does it all day long every day.

Milo ... well, now. I guess that freedom of speech thing just doesn't extend to promoting pedophilia in the minds of many, including the conservatives who dropped him like he was on fire.

But you, you just want it your way Neo, regardless.

You're starting to sound a little snowflakish yourself, Neo.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Exactly. I'd be saying the exact thing I'm saying now if the roles were reversed and a liberal pundit chose to hold a rally in rural Alabama somewhere.

The same rules apply to both sides.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Exactly. I'd be saying the exact thing I'm saying now if the roles were reversed and a liberal pundit chose to hold a rally in rural Alabama somewhere.

The same rules apply to both sides.

I'd probably have a stronger opinion about that, mostly because I don't want the assholes of the south making us all look like assholes too. But that is more me taking personal responsibility to manage my neighbor.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Hey G?

Serious moment here.

I think you should stop posting in this thread..

I'm starting to fear for your safety.

No telling what some people might do.

I know it sucks but damn.

We'd be sad if anything happened.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join