It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists in Norway presents photographic evidence of the Hessdalen Phenomenon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Yes, with hindsight that was probably a mistake. I guess I assumed that the phenomenon was somewhat better known than seems to be the case.

As you might have figured out, I am Norwegian, so I might have been a bit blindsided by that.

With regards to what the phenomenon in Hessdalen actually is, and what causes it, there are a few theories being explored. I am hopeful, now that is has been somewhat established as a real phenomenon, there might be a push to figure out the science behind it.

It has taken about 30 years getting to the point where they are today, where one can say with some confidence that it is indeed real and can document this fact.

Previously, and even perhaps still in some circles, there has been much shaking of heads and looking askew at the "crazy" people describing the lights. And also at the, by association, crazy scientists "wasting their time" with this "rubbish".

However, in the face of 30 years of solid research, one can only shake ones head so much before it starts to look a little silly. So now, although existing theories and data might be overturned, it hopefully will have to be done by getting into the field and doing some research of your own.

It won't be enough to do the old "solemn shake.of the head" behind the faculty office desk routine.

Or, that is to be hoped, anyway.

BT

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Very cool OP!

Have they been able to tell a direction of travel for these phenomena yet? I'd be interested to find out if they always travel the same path and direction or if they "return from their point of origin.

Seems like they need to get a faster capture rate for their camera.

If these phenomena leave and return then I would say it would have to have some sort of "intelligence". If in a single direction every time then likely some sort of naturally occurring phenomena that we don't or can't fully understand.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I am not aware that they have published anything about direction of travel or return.

The presentation mentioned in the OP seems to be mostly about the characteristics of the light emitted by the phenomenon.
In the article there is also some mention that they are beginning to suspect that formation might happen at certain points, but I suspect it would take a larger dataset to confirm this.

I know that they received some money last year, of which some was used to purchase new camera equipment.

Nothing so far to support any claims of intelligence, but there are a lot of stories floating around about what locals and visitors alike have supposedly seen in the valley.

The scientists are concentrating, I think wisely, on gathering data and presenting what they have found so far.

BT

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Love the arm chair critics and the "experts" who think they know more than the scientists who have been studying this area for over a decade....

You can watch the live video stream from their online cameras.....pretty cool to watch....just go to their website....there arethree you can choose from...at least on iPad.

www.hessdalen.org... You can watch the valley here
edit on 27-4-2017 by panicman66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2017 by panicman66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: BullwinkleKicksButt

i agree with you

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I, too, have been interested in the Hessdalen Lights for a while. I feel it is both a geological and a meteorological phenomenon. Certain pressures in the rock along fault lines might cause large piezo effects which float up and survive in the air due to electrical densities in the atmosphere? I think the light emitted is the interaction between the various electric charges in the phenomenon itself and in the air?

I'd like to see someone capture this with infra red and thermal imaging. The lens flare is due to the light which has been polarised and the way the multiple focussing glasses in the lenses are working. There is more flare to the right of the image, which looks like the photograph has been taken through a window?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

I think they are looking at factors related to the local geology, yes, and how it might contribute to the phenomenon.

As to the glass, I think the cameras are in some kind of housing, so there might conceivably be a glass pane there, I guess.

I should think it was described in some detail in the presentation, but all I have been able to find so far is the abstract I linked to earlier in the thread.

BT
edit on 27-4-2017 by beetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
OP dont get discouraged.. .this is a highly interesting phenomenon and needs more exposure. Greater interest means greater funding.

Sometimes people here forget denying ignorance doent mean pooing everything they are ignorant of. It means educating themselves on an unfamiliar subject in order to create a better understanding and an intelligent discourse on the subject.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Put your specs on an look thena reply to: BullwinkleKicksButt

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
awesome! nice to see some progress here
however those arent the ufos i am interested on those are clearly an natural phenomena

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: beetee
This is pretty exciting, so I am going to post about it, even though the sources are in Norwegian only for now.

Scientists from Høyskolen i Østfold have presented a new piece of photographic evidence, as well as some interesting theories, about the UAP phenomenon they have been documenting in Hessdalen in Norway for several years.

Photo courtesy of Høyskolen i Østfold, republished by NRK (not the original)

I do a lot of photography, and I can assure everyone that the picture does not show a lens flare.

Besides, I'm Norwegian, and I know that the Hessdalen lights is a well documented phenomenon. What it is, has yet to be established.

It is probably related to similar phenomenon from other parts of the world.

I have an intriguing photograph from a different part of Norway that I'll present at some later time, that shows what I believe to be a similar phenomenon.
edit on 27-4-2017 by Uberdoubter because: Minor edit.

edit on 27-4-2017 by Uberdoubter because: Typo.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Hehe, thank you for the encouragement. I am not particularly discouraged, to be honest, just a little surprised that compelling evidence can be discarded with a simple shrug. It really makes me wonder about other images that has been "debunked" in the past.

If "debunking" is merely a matter of a casual look and typing the word "lens flare" or "balloons", then the exercise is devoid of any value at all.

I have long been opposed to debunking, because it seems a very unscientific practice. Science is about evaluating the evidence, not rejecting it without any empirical foundation at all. I also find it unscientific to "close down" an avenue of research, because it has been "debunked". Counter arguments, yes, based on evidence. That's great. But not this rubber stamping without even bothering to look properly.

As I have stated before, I doubt they would be sitting on it for close to two years, then dragging it to a major scientific conference if it was a "lens flare".

Hey, maybe it's a balloon... :-D

BT

edit on 27-4-2017 by beetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
I think that rather than dissecting a rather underwhelming photo it is best to understand that whatever happens in the Hessdalen area is a true UAP/UFO phenomenon. Call it what you like. Few believe it to be alien spaceships. But something is happening.

I guess it's time to roll out this short video once again

Astonishingly similar in appearance to fireworks and or military aircraft flares.

But hey automatically 'ruled out' as usual.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Uberdoubter

I do a lot of photography, and I can assure everyone that the picture does not show a lens flare.

I can smear a camera lens wth some fine oil and get the same spectrum break up, or use thin plastic or even oil smeared glass or plastic placed between the camera and the subject, in the case of the OP, apparently the sun.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

lol... Apparently the sun... You must at least read the post. Come on.

BT

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: beetee

lol... Apparently the sun... You must at least read the post. Come on.

BT

What they say about it doesn't change anything I just said. Look, there are mystery lights everywhere, US has them in several places. People been seeing the same lights from the same places since they invented trains, planes and automobiles, beacons, headlights, roads and train tracks.

Lol, yourself. Nothing I saw convinced me that this is nought but a hoax perped by beleebers... or misidentification of knowns...

edit on 27-4-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I think that rather than dissecting a rather underwhelming photo it is best to understand that whatever happens in the Hessdalen area is a true UAP/UFO phenomenon. Call it what you like. Few believe it to be alien spaceships. But something is happening.

Astonishingly similar in appearance to fireworks and or military aircraft flares.

Hessdalen, despite it's low budget constraints, is a serious scientific study of a true anomalous phenomenon. Those who doubt it's authenticity can study the various reports down the years here : Link

Research in other areas of the world has hinted that this phenomena might be global and not something unique in the Hessdalen valley. However the mechanism creating these lights is still somewhat unknown.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Ok, you are entitled to your views, of course.

It doesn't really matter to me, anyway, even though I cannot quite see how you reach your conclusion...

Cheers,

BT

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: beetee

You must at least read the post. Come on.

Nah I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Hessdalen is unique, mysterious, and currently unequivocally hosting unidentified arial phenomena.
We are lucky this site has actual scientific research going on.

Thanks for the pic and update .

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Hessdalen, despite it's low budget constraints, is a serious scientific study of a true anomalous phenomenon. Those who doubt it's authenticity can study the various reports down the years here : Link

Research in other areas of the world has hinted that this phenomena might be global and not something unique in the Hessdalen valley. However the mechanism creating these lights is still somewhat unknown.

Because I respect you Mirageman, think your serious and thoughtful I'll show you some of our stateside, mystery lights. First up, the Paulding lights

Next up Texas, the Marfa lights

Finally, SkinWalker Ranch. There are so many videos from there, picking the first one that appears to reflect the claims

I have studied each of these cases, hard to rule out trains in Spaulding, vehicle headlights in Texas and satellites over Skinwalker ranch.

IOW, we have to rule these out first before we entertain other possibilities.
edit on 27-4-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

edit on 27-4-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join