It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google’s Milestone Chip Can Achieve Quantum Supremacy By The End Of 2017

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Like I said in another post, these things are advancing rapidly. Google Founder Sergey Brin said he didn't see things like the advancements in AI coming but it should have been obvious.

Here's more:

By the end of 2017, Google might be able to come up with a device that could achieve quantum supremacy, being able to perform a calculation that’ll be beyond the abilities of conventional chips. The research team at Google is preparing a 50 qubit chip which might set a benchmark in the field of quantum computing.

Martinis’ team is now working on a chip with around 50 qubits which will help them achieve quantum supremacy. According to him, if such experiment becomes reality it could set a benchmark for other people.

However, Google is not the only one trying to build a 50 qubit unconventional computing tech. IBM is also working on 50 qubit computer. This was known last month when the company made their existing computing resources available to commercial users via their cloud platform.

fossbytes.com...

What's quantum supremacy?

Quantum supremacy will be acheived when a quantum device can outperform the world's top classical computers.

It's no suprise to me that these things are advancing rapidly. The universe is a quantum computer or something else that can calculate itself and process vasts amounts of information.

So there's a connection between the growth of big data and the emergence of technology to process that data.

Every 10-20 minutes, we're producing more data than we have produced in the last 100 years. Eventually, this will occur every 5-10 seconds. Imagine how much data that will be. Humans will be lost and this is why you have an AI explosion. This isn't by accident. There's a deep connection between the growth of data and the emergence of technology to process that data because the universe is computational.

This is also why humans as we know them today, will be gone in short order. We will become cyborgs or completely merge with artificial intelligence. It has to happen because of the growth of data.

Organic humans can not process or handle all of this data. This is why you see Musk and Zuckerberg now working on some kind of computer brain interface. This isn't happening by accident. The intelligent universe demands it in order to process the growth of big data.
edit on 26-4-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

This is also why humans as we know them today, will be gone in short order. We will become cyborgs or completely merge with artificial intelligence. It has to happen because of the growth of data.

Too much Masamune Shirow.

The single driving force of technology isn't the technology itself.

It's the peoples acceptance of it.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Gone in short order is a tall order.

What will more than likely happen is you will see amputee/para/quad and anyone else that is suffering in some way with regards to illness,accident, or otherwise will now have a completely different life.

I think about the Organs we are growing now and how Insulin for those that need it may become a thing of the past. Liver failure? No worries, we will grow one in 5 minutes. Heart transplant? No such thing as a wait list anymore. We will just take some of these nifty stem cells and 3D bio molecular print one for you in 10 minutes.

If AI takes off, think of how many assisted living people that do not care 1 iota can be replaced with bots that literally understand how to care like a human. How to give comfort, listen, and even..dare i say..comprehend? Cars that talk to you as if we are all Michael Knight. Robots that help you with your homework because they do not understand what it means to not understand fully - algebra or trig or any other complicated math output.

These are amazing times of dreams.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

When I say short order, I mean in cosmic terms. A thousands years is nothing when you look at it relative to the age of the universe.

I think we may have 100 years left and way before then we will start transitioning from the organic humans we see today to humans that are augmented and connected to everything digital simply through thought.

You're right about amputee's but eventually everyone will want robotic arms and legs as they become 100 times more efficient than organic legs. Here's a video of Hugh Herr talking about robotic limbs 3 years ago. It's easy to see where this is headed. These legs will eventually be much better than organic legs just like self driving cars will just be better an more efficient than human drivers.

Each year, more than 30,000 Americans die and many more are injured in car accidents, the vast majority of which are caused by human error. Driverless cars could eliminate 90% of these deaths and injuries.

www.wsj.com...

Here's the video:

Again, this is inevitable. The growth of data has already exploded and will explode even more with the internet of things. Organic humans will not survive this explosion.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I can think of one male organ that many will be seeking to "replace" with something perhaps longer, and more "efficient" at satisfying the opposite sex.

Humor for the day!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic The more metallic humans become, the more they will be vulnerable to lightnings and mace type weapons. Thus it's smart to invest in HAARP and big Joe's Smithery.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Being at Uni in the late 90's its amazing how stuff has changed, AI has got a lot better than it was then shall we say, the bang per buck has gone up stupidly compared to what it was in the 90's.

I doubt we'd see proper quantum chips or whatever they get called around for a while and at the moment they are a bit of a sort of thing where they're good for certain things and lets just say having to have a liquid nitrogen delivery every day aint going to really encourage your online gaming.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Being at Uni in the late 90's its amazing how stuff has changed, AI has got a lot better than it was then shall we say, the bang per buck has gone up stupidly compared to what it was in the 90's.

I doubt we'd see proper quantum chips or whatever they get called around for a while and at the moment they are a bit of a sort of thing where they're good for certain things and lets just say having to have a liquid nitrogen delivery every day aint going to really encourage your online gaming.

I started Uni in the mid-1980's - This was when 8-bit home computers were still in fashion, and the first IBM PC clones had just come on market - a 4.77MHz Intel 8086 with CGA, a 5.25" floppy disk drive, 16" CRT and 10 Mbytes hard disk drive was state of the art. Next year it was 8Mhz with EGA, 20 Mbytes HDD, the year after 16 MHz with VGA, 40 Mbytes HDD, then 1024x768 SVGA). Getting a Ad-Lib sound card that played midi and a Hercules Graphics Station Card that did true-color at 512x480 was mind-blowing. Superceded by a 90MHz desktop PC with speakers running Doom. That was blown away by 450MHz Dell PC. In turn that was blown out by a dual-core 2GHz 16" laptop with a GPU. All of those have been blown away by octocore and dual-socket SLI desktop PC's with HDMI multi-screens and quad-core smartphones with GPU's. In the past, you needed a budget of $120,000 in order to buy an SGI Extreme workstation to get hardware texture mapping. Now, a smartphone does all of that and more.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I read that quantum computers are faulty with a high error curve and with limited uses because they function differently than a normal desktop. Although this new version with a higher calculation capacity could exceed previous versions, I question that quantum tech could be put to use as readily and efficiently as what we rely on already.

I think though that if quantum tech does become useful then I am intrigued at what it could do if used with artificial intelligence.

the universe is computational

I am going to disagree with this line I quoted.
edit on 15-5-2017 by Profundity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profundity
I read that quantum computers are faulty with a high error curve and with limited uses because they function differently than a normal desktop. Although this new version with a higher calculation capacity could exceed previous versions, I question that quantum tech could be put to use as readily and efficiently as what we rely on already.

Quantum computers aren't really meant to compete with desktops. It's questionable if you would ever have one in your home. They're good for certain classes of problems, but so far no one has come up with a scenario where those problems are useful at home.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Profundity

Quantum computers aren't really meant to compete with desktops. It's questionable if you would ever have one in your home. They're good for certain classes of problems, but so far no one has come up with a scenario where those problems are useful at home.

This is wrong. Quantum computers will change the way we live.

Quantum computers will allows us to talk to the internet. Desktops will become like VCR's and pay phones. Here's a recent article:

Quantum computers are here -- but what are they good for?

After decades of research, the first quantum computers are now up and running. The question now is: What do we do with them?

IBM and D-Wave are trying to cash in on their expensive quantum computers by commercializing services. Both agree that quantum computers are different than PCs and can't be used to run every application.

Instead, quantum systems will do things not possible on today's computers, like discovering new drugs and building molecular structures. Today's computers are good at finding answers by analyzing information within existing data sets, but quantum computers can get a wider range of answers by calculating and assuming new data sets.

www.pcworld.com...

That last paragraph is the key. You have to look at how Google is connecting quantum computers to artificial intelligence.

Today, I type in quantum mechanics and I get a huge data set of articles, images and videos but I have to look through the information and come up with my own new data sets and insights.

Quantum computers will be cloud based and everyone will have a personal assistant like Siri or Echo but more advanced.

A quantum computer will analyze and calculate more data to give you better answers and new insights. You might ask your quantum computer assistant to look up quantum mechanics and it will come back and say,"I recommend these 5 articles and these 2 books based on the last books and articles you read on this subject and your recent posts on ATS. I added the 2 books to your cart, do you want me to order them."

So quantum computing and artificial intelligence will allow us to talk to the internet like we're talking to a friend on the blue tooth. This will be a friend that will have access to your digital self and will know everything about you to answer just about every question as well as search the internet for you in a very efficient way. It will look over hundreds of your searches on Google, Yahoo and other search engines and it will learn to search the internet in the same way that you do. So it will search the internet for you and click on articles or watch videos that you would watch.

edit on 16-5-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Dayum you just blew my mind with that statement....kuddos

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Umm, opening and closing of portals in your home would be one....commercializing portals! pew pew pewwwww

top topics

join