It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Apparent Gas Leak Kills Georgian Premier: Update: No Gas leak Found, CO Suspected

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The Premier of Georgia is dead following a gas leak at an apartment he was visiting. Zurab Zhvania, who rose to power over the corruption-tainted regime of Eduard Shevardnadze was visiting a friend when the leak occurred. Nervous security guards broke down the door following several hours of silence.

Update: Officials investigating the leak report that none has been found and now suspect carbon monoxide poisioning

TBILISI, February 3 (RIA Novosti) - Experts found no gas leak in the apartment where Georgian Prime Minister Zurab Zhvania had died, Tbilgaz General Director David Morchiladze told the media.

"There were no gas leak," he said. "It looks like there was a carbon dioxide accumulation in the apartment."

A gas heater had been installed two days before and it is likely that the apartment had not been aired since then, Mr. Morchiladze added.

Experts: No Gas Leak In Apartment

story.news.yahoo.com
TBILISI, Georgia - Georgian Prime Minister Zurab Zhvania, who helped lead the revolution that toppled the corruption-tainted regime of Eduard Shevardnadze, was killed early Thursday by an apparent natural gas leak, the ex-Soviet republic's interior minister said.

Zhvania, 41, was at a friend's apartment when the leak occurred, Interior Minister Vano Merabishvili said in a live broadcast on Rustavi-2 television.

"It is an accident," Merabishvili said. "We can say that poisoning by gas took place."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The main culprit appears to be an Iranian made gas stove. This all seems pretty fishy to me. Beyond a personal vendetta, is there any reason to have Zhvania killed? Not that I am aware of, but still?

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
They have very rough politics there in the new Soviet spawned republics.

Sounds very possibly suspicious to me.

All the money and construction contracts where the oil and pipelines are going through just feed the lawless grabs for power and wealth.

After a population has been tyrannized then is suddenly freed it seems like all the little tyrants arise. [Mafia, Military bullies, every little thug with a gun]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
What I find interesting is in the line; Zurab Zhvania, was Killed early Thursday.
Should it not have read died early Thursday. An then to add, “It’s an accident”
Maybe I’m splitting hairs, Killed or died in an accident.

[edit on 3/2/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I have been searching around trying to see if there is a greater angle to this and only one keeps comming up: How was Putins relationship with Georgia? Who is next in line? Could this be an spec ops to compensate for the loss of Ukraine?

Anybody?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I think it sounds fishy. I wouldn't put much past Putin and his KGB friends.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

TBILISI, February 3 (RIA Novosti) - Experts found no gas leak in the apartment where Georgian Prime Minister Zurab Zhvania had died, Tbilgaz General Director David Morchiladze told the media.

"There were no gas leak," he said. "It looks like there was a carbon dioxide accumulation in the apartment."

A gas heater had been installed two days before and it is likely that the apartment had not been aired since then, Mr. Morchiladze added.

Update: No Leak Found In Apartment

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I don't think carbon dioxide makes sense, maybe carbon monoxide. Or assassination.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
After the Yushchenko miracle,you can be sure the kremlin vampire got this one right.Bodyguards broke down door when he didn't answer his mobile phone?were the doors locked/bolted from the inside?,if so to what extent? or another inside job?some bodyguards ay...no foul play my (as)s as(s) in assassin...fatal levels of carboxihaemoglobin?carbon monoxide poisoning?seems too simple a demise for someone as cautious as Zhvania...and would go down as easy as a bowl of borsch for spetsnaz.Ever since the Shevardnadze debacle there's been alarm,perhaps Putin wants more FSB presence in the Pankisi Gorge for infiltration,or to stage southern attacks against Chechnya,or more control of Black Sea ports,oil pipeline?If they sent post-mortum labwork to Austria's Rudolfinerhaus Clinic,who treated Yushchenko I'm sure the results would be quite interesting...

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Crap. Crap crap crap.

The poisoning of a ukranian reformist cadidate. Now the 'death' of a georgian reformist premier?

And people are worried about the US?

What the hell are the russians doing? All this stuff in their satellite republics against people that are aligned against them and to the west?

Jesus, better settle down for the moment.

How 'anti-russian' is this premier, if at all really?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Crap. Crap crap crap.

The poisoning of a ukranian reformist cadidate. Now the 'death' of a georgian reformist premier?

What the hell are the russians doing? All this stuff in their satellite republics against people that are aligned against them and to the west?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I don't think carbon dioxide makes sense, maybe carbon monoxide. Or assassination.

Either is deadly. Which is the one that tends to leak into houses? People in the US have fire alarms and 'co meters' is it for CO or CO2?

What I am getting at is, how does C02 get into a house? In toxic levels?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

I agree, but we have to quote the story. Its a typo or the guy makeing the statement made a mistake. Either way, its fishy. as one reader pointed out, the there seems to be quite a bit of intrique in the former Soviet states.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Another politico bites the dust in Georgia: This is getting to be a bit strange no?

Update: Associate of Georgian PM Commits Suicide

TBILISI, Georgia - A political associate of Georgian Prime Minister Zurab Zhvania, who officials say died of carbon-monoxide poisoning this week, has committed suicide, police said Saturday.

Georgy Khelashvili, a 32-year-old member of the presidential commission on pardons and part of Zhvania's United Democrats political bloc, was found dead at his home Friday night of a gunshot wound, said Tbilisi police official Irakli Pirkhalala.

Suicide

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Forgive me for being extremely late getting into this thread- it escaped me when it was breaking.
Why is the assumption automatically that the Russians were behind this? Zurab Zhvania was out to compromise with them.

I'd be quicker to suspect either Georgian hard-liners or America. Russia has been over-estimating the price-tag of removing some 5,000 troops from Georgia (they figure the cost at over a billion dollars in the end) and they expect the west to compensate them for any such a move. I definately think we'd kill somebody if he was going to press a compromise that involved the Russians backmailing us for a billion.

Now this is all just my understanding from a fairly brief look into the matter. If I've got something mixed up, please let me know.

Edit to add: Wasn't Shevardnadze going to bring Georgia into NATO? Seems sensible to me that we'd want his ilk back in power, not people like Zhvania and Mikhail Saakashvili who broke ranks with him and compromise with Russia (granted the later is a little less predictable and less well liked by the Russians as I hear it.)

[edit on 24-3-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Crap. Crap crap crap.

As i, and others, have been saying for quite some time. they are playing their cards and moving along with the old kremlin plan. Soon you will find only leaders that are backed by the Kremlin being in charge in the former Soviet States...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Zurab Zhvania died about a month or so ago, people all over Georgia are crying murder.

Even though the gov't broke away from the USSR in 91 (I think) and have a recently new elected president (Saakishvili) they still have alot of influence from Moscow....

That's a big issue going on in Tbilisi (Capitol) now.....there is still soooo much corruption in the Georgian Gov't, the U.S. basically took Georgia under it's arm and is doing alot here to help them out, Police, Military, Pol/Econ so on and so on.

Personnaly I say Murder

He was a good man, truly sad for Georgia.

Sorry I went on, I just have alot of insight about Georgia and I really do find the country fascinating

Didi Modlopt....spaseeba

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I'd be quicker to suspect either Georgian hard-liners or America. Russia has been over-estimating the price-tag of removing some 5,000 troops from Georgia (they figure the cost at over a billion dollars in the end) and they expect the west to compensate them for any such a move. I definately think we'd kill somebody if he was going to press a compromise that involved the Russians backmailing us for a billion.

Is it just me or does anyone else don't see any reason of why Russia would blackmail us on the cost of removing Russian troops from Georgia?...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Originally posted by Nygdan
Crap. Crap crap crap.

As i, and others, have been saying for quite some time. they are playing their cards and moving along with the old kremlin plan. Soon you will find only leaders that are backed by the Kremlin being in charge in the former Soviet States...

IT IS NOT THE RUSSIANS!!!

Georgia is still influenced by Russia, but trust me...Russia is not doing it.
It goes pretty deep.

Pipelines are being built here, countries want in on it...not russia, thats a whole other deal that involves Chechnya.

The US has and is investing alot here...even a new Embassy compound that opnes later this year...

This country looks like the cold war just ended but slowly it is starting to look better and better.....

PS: they even have a McDonalds now...2 of em

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dev_add
IT IS NOT THE RUSSIANS!!!

Georgia is still influenced by Russia, but trust me...Russia is not doing it.
It goes pretty deep.

Well, all the evidence other members and i have been posting shows that Russia does have more than a reason for doing this.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Is it just me or does anyone else don't see any reason of why Russia would blackmail us on the cost of removing Russian troops from Georgia?...

It seems simple enough to me. Georgia wants them out, but Georgia hasn't got much to bargain with. We want them out too, and we've got lots of money. Russia is diplomatically dressing up a very simple bribe offer. If we give them a billion dollars, they'll pull 5,000 troops out of Georgia (but leave their peace keepers in South Ossetia)

At any rate, I don't see the Russians killing somebody who was working so well with them. He was a source of influence for the Russians. People who don't like Russians, and perhaps certain economic intersts would have wanted him dead for compromising too much.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join