It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fair-Weather Friends of Free Speech

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Kali74

Is protesting outside an Anne Coulter speaking event being repugnant of free speech?

If it interferes with her right to speak and the listener's right to hear her speak, then yes.

Do you advocate free speech zones?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Not to besmirch the great Frederick Douglas, Trump's good friend... but if that meeting had been about the continuity of the slave trade and had been toppled by Abolitionists his speech about free speech may have favored the free speech of the crashers, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Is that an accusation?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

I've heard of it, but I'm not sure what this is to tell you the truth.

EDIT: I just discovered what a free-speech zone is. Horrendous. I viciously oppose free-speech zones.
edit on 25-4-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Not to besmirch the great Frederick Douglas, Trump's good friend... but if that meeting had been about the continuity of the slave trade and had been toppled by Abolitionists his speech about free speech may have favored the free speech of the crashers, don't you think?

We could play "what if" till the cows come home. I just wanted to see if you support the protester's right to censor Douglas.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I support the free speech on all sides of every issue. Free speech cannot be regulated therefor, at times, it is going to be messy as hell.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I've heard of it, but I'm not sure what this is to tell you the truth.
EDIT: I just discovered what a free-speech zone is. Horrendous. I viciously oppose free-speech zones.

In all your sophistry and wisdom you have no idea what a free speech zone is? Way to avoid a direct question.

Here's a start:

Wiki

For further reading, use Google.

People have the right to hear, yes?

So, do you advocate free speech zones?

ETA:

Since you just discovered what a free speech zone is, and oppose it, how does one reconcile your supposed right to hear?
edit on 25-4-2017 by SirHardHarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Yes sorry, I'm not American.

I do not reconcile it. My right to hear what I want is not up to you or any law.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I support the free speech on all sides of every issue. Free speech cannot be regulated therefor, at times, it is going to be messy as hell.

I agree with you there, though I think there is a fine line between protest and simple thuggery.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I like the line from the article "speech combats speech". That is exactly right.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I like the line from the article "speech combats speech". That is exactly right.

It is. Thomas Paine put it best:

I PUT the following work under your protection. It contains my opinions upon Religion. You will do me the justice to remember, that I have always strenuously supported the Right of every Man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is Reason. I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall.

Speech is the only way to combat differing opinion. Anything else results is oppression.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I think what that means is allowing speeches to stand and argue for themselves. Not using one speech to silence another.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

So when people in white sheets burn a cross on Frederick Douglass' front lawn, is that an example of free speech being "messy as hell?"

How about when Antifa protesters break windows as part of the mob shouting down speech-givers at Berkeley? Is that also "messy as hell?"

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
"Free Speech" is a Spook and the Constitution is a spook.

We are born with the ability to speak freely, we don't need a piece of paper telling us how we are free, nor do we need a bunch of dead people still dictating our lives. when you have someone telling you 'how' you can be free, you are not free, because those same people will use that against you and your "Freedoms"

The first amendment is supposed to protect your "Freeze Peach" from the government, not from each other

"Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire." - Abbie Hoffman

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Breaking windows has nothing to do with "Free Speech" and 'No-Platform' has nothing to do with "Free Speech" either

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
"Free Speech" is a Spook and the Constitution is a spook.

We are born with the ability to speak freely, we don't need a piece of paper telling us how we are free, nor do we need a bunch of dead people still dictating our lives. when you have someone telling you 'how' you can be free, you are not free, because those same people will use that against you and your "Freedoms"

The first amendment is supposed to protect your "Freeze Peach" from the government, not from each other

"Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire." - Abbie Hoffman

Free speech is a principle, one that has traded violence and coercion as a means to achieving knowledge and power for some time.

And to dismiss arguments without hearing them because they were made by "dead guys" is the height of stupidity.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX

Breaking windows has nothing to do with "Free Speech" and 'No-Platform' has nothing to do with "Free Speech" either

It has everything to do with free speech when these tactics are used to censor others.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

No it means we can argue endlessly without either of us ever having had the ability to trump the others right to speak.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

You are talking about violence and trespassing, not free speech.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

No, because we are not the Government, we also don't submit to these oppressive imposed morality/ethics based on 'Law-And-Order' 'Religion' 'The Constitution'.

but, if you are playing by the Constitution, again, that protects you from the government, not each other, you are leaving out consequences and repercussions from your words/actions

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join