It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who knew Trump would go after Canada?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Um one of his platform was the fact he would raise tariffs on imports,last time I remembered Canada was not part of the US,why would this be a suprise unless you were an uniformed liberal,looking for a reason to complain

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Just watch as American lumber company's slowly edge up their prices so they are just that little bit cheaper than the Canadian lumber prices.

It will happen, it's the power of capitalism.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Canada's leader is a cuck, they're getting exactly what they voted for. Maybe after 8 years they'll finally figure it out like America did.
So Canada will vote in a clueless idiot that will embarrass their nation everytime they turn around?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: defiythelie
a reply to: intrptr

That lumber can't be reproduced here. Canada's short growing season makes these trees much stronger then what grows in the US.

That must be due to the tighter ring structure (from a short growing season). Denser grain makes for better instruments too. The Stradivarius was thought to include this type of wood because the shorter seasons resulting from a 'cooler earth climate period', or some such.

What I meant to say was, US usually takes over countries that have resources it desires.

Trumps 'secret' to owning canadian forests might be a knee-jerk attempt to also own canada.

I know, not funny,
edit on 26-4-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

originally posted by: intrptr

Its just tariffs, not a war. If they don't want to pay it ship to Japan, they need lumber.

That is one of the pseudo promises Trump made about increasing tariffs, to 'bring home companies and create jobs here'.

How he plans to produce canadian lumber here is a well kept secret.

America and Alaska don't have any tree's ?

We are 'saving' those, we want the rest of the trees, oil, minerals, people, money, etc. We want it all.

Greedy damn control freaks.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Satire:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Part of what makes good wood for musical instruments ..old growth forest, for the same reason but due to the spacing of the tree's..same effect of tighter grain/rings.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

I'm Canadian, doesn't really matter to me, imposing tariffs just makes the lumber more expensive to the end consumer. Charge us to import? We'll just charge more plus admin fees.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Why are the left's memes all non funny and just pure cringe.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Looks like Canada will just keep upping the ante, the poor trump supporters are going to love him even more as prices keep on going up

B.C. moves to ban U.S. coal transport in retaliation for softwood duties

"We've gone from seeing Americans as being good trading partners to being hostile trading partners," said Clark when asked why she was making this move now.

edit on 26-4-2017 by unfor54k3n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
So when Canada uses protectionist trade policies, it's fine. When the US does it, it's horrible? Hypocrites. "Good" trading partners, aka gullible fools we can take advantage of.
edit on 26-4-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: KEACHI

You're wrong. Canada has been #ing us on this for decades. Bush and Obama both agreed and tried to get it to stop and get a settlement. Trump is just doing his job, and doing it much better than his predecessors.

And this is the problem with the attitude perpetuated by trumplets. You have to be seriously dim to think insulting people publicly is the way to begin a negotiation. He's a global embarrassment.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Canada could say virtually everything in the USA is subsidized by the millions of illegals that are working there for a pittance.
Canada is not Mexico for Trump to group Canada in with them just because of NAFTA is very ignorant, the wages in Canada are much higher than Mexico. They need 2 separate deals, NAFTA should go. But the Canadian and American economies are so integrated maybe your building something in one country but the parts are coming from the other or vise versa.

In any event if Trudeau looks weak against Trump on this issue it might not go so well for him especially in the province of BC who is most effected by this. Maybe a response would be to put the same level of tariff on American wine, this would benefit that provinces wine growers, the downside is that it could spark a wider trade war that Canada would lose.

This is a tough spot for Canada, but doing nothing is not an option.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Neith
a reply to: ketsuko

No, I'd much rather Amerkianistan minded their own damn business and left our lumber alone.

Fine. Stop exporting it.

Fine. Stop buying it.

Stop having your government subsidize it. See where the real cost of your lumber is. If it's still cheaper, then it is. But this way, your government is gaming the system to make sure the market is in your favor.

You do realize NO ONE forces you to buy it.

If you are pissed we are undercutting you, i have a simple solution. DONT BUY IT! You have no one but your own consumers to blame.

I find it laughable you want to reinvigorate your homeland manufacturing sector, yet when your product is sold at a much higher dollar value due to much more expensive manufacturing process that higher wage workers create, your consumers will run to the shelf with the Chinese produced products.

Based on this reply, im left to believe you do not understand what tariff's are, and why they are enacted.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Same crap all over again, its like groundhogday with a new president and the cry baby american lumber industry,
I think Canada should export a few truck loads of sippy cups and bibs.
Theres already talk of coal bans, whats next.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI
All of you are morons. Yes this issue has been brought up for decades. Bush and Obama both tried something similar, albeit with more political tact. And EVERY single time the US has claimed Canada is controlling lumber prices an international court called the US's claims bogus and then another 8-10 year deal is signed. But Trump is an idiot and doesn't know sh*t about history, so no new deal coming soon. Small Canadian lumber businesses will be going under and Canadian tax payers will have to pay for that. Also houses are built with softwood, so that will become more expensive in the 31 states where canada is the #1 trade partner.

Japan is already looking to make a new free trade deal with everyone in the previous deal minus the US. British Columbia is moving to ban US coal trading within it's province as retaliation.

No one is gonna benefit from this. Unless Trump's magical deal making power makes a new better deal. But that's just smoke and mirrors, he's a showman. His first 100 days proves that he never really had a replacement deal for anything, from nafta to taxes. He's just winging it and you the American people will pay the price for it. Literally I'm talking about money lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Bro, I'm a Democrat and even I know your opinion isn't factual. Which housing market are you referring to? The one built on bad mortgages or the one with repackaged, newly branded but still bad mortgages? The crash didn't make them ALL go away you know, just the ones who couldn't scrape together the funding to keep the sham going. The housing market is a sham, a fraud. Do you understand what subprime means?
You are off base.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Look up and understand stumpage fee's before you jump to conclusions..WTO has ruled in Canada's favour every time..there is a reason for that.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: fernalley
It doesn't have to when the Canadian government actively manipulates the market through subsidisation.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join