It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who knew Trump would go after Canada?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Meanwhile all sectors of the US economy continue to see record growth.

What a buffoon.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And yet the only people that will be hurt by this decision are small businesses and the average American. There are more than a few countries that will have no problem buying the surplus Canadian lumber. On the other hand those that were purchasing the Canadian lumber will now have to pay more for American which will in turn force them to raise their prices.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

And yet the only people that will be hurt by this decision are small businesses and the average American. There are more than a few countries that will have no problem buying the surplus Canadian lumber. On the other hand those that were purchasing the Canadian lumber will now have to pay more for American which will in turn force them to raise their prices.

I thought importing cheap products was a bad thing.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Making America great again by destroying the new housing market, putting contractors out of business and making new homes UNaffordable for the American working man.

MAGA, MAGA, MAGA!!!

Says the person that doesn't have a clue how much impact that about $2000 worth of lumber will have on the cost of the house. You want to point fingers at somebody, point it at the local governments. They are the ones who fleece everybody with their permit fees, impact fees, and half dozen other jacked up fees designed to fatten their wallets. Blame those same local governments for doing all they can to keep property values artificially high so they can collect more property taxes. Yeah.. It's about $2000 extra per house for US lumber that is going to sink the housing industry. SMGDFH

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Don't call me buddy guy lol

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Except the Canadian government doesn't subsidize lumber. The "stump fee", or cost to harvest trees, is simply lower in Canada because the land the lumber is harvested from is not privately owned. So blame private enterprise/land owners in the USA for inflated stump fee's, which leads to higher retail costs, if you're looking for someone to blame that is.
edit on 25-4-2017 by Syphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Syphon

Ooh this is an interesting development.
I love threads where local voices are arguing a case where I know little of the details on the front line.
Cheers to all contributing, popcorn time for me as I await independent Britain negotiating with the Don.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I like Trump

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Cheers thou sweet bag of dirt!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Whats to worry about we got plenty of national parks that we can "cut" expenses on by cutting down the trees in them.

I mean just look at all these gigantic trees that instead of sitting around and being useless could be turned into lumber to make america great again.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: intrptr
How he plans to produce canadian lumber here is a well kept secret.

What's so special about Canadian lumber?

It grows in Canada.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: PRSpinster

Actually softwood lumber and dairy do not fall under Nafta. Maybe if they got included we would not have to have these ongoing disputes.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

So we should let Canada shove a forest of trees up our ass because we produce and sell more useful goods than them, Fu€¥ Off!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

exactly,

as an American consumer I want cheaper lumber I don`t care where they come from or who produced it.
if the Canadian tax payers want to subsidize the cost of my lumber so that I can buy it cheaper, I`m fine with that,and I`ll even thank them for doing it. thank you Canadian tax payers.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: buster2010

Me! I knew it was inevitable as soon as he started talking about renegotiating NAFTA.

Softwood lumber is not covered under NAFTA.

Neither is Dairy.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Hence the tariff yeah?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Neith

No, I'd much rather Amerkianistan minded their own damn business and left our lumber alone.

Fine. Stop exporting it.

Fine. Stop buying it.

Be careful what you wish for.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

No, I'd much rather Amerkianistan minded their own damn business and left our lumber alone.

Fine. Stop exporting it.

Fine. Stop buying it.

Stop having your government subsidize it. See where the real cost of your lumber is. If it's still cheaper, then it is. But this way, your government is gaming the system to make sure the market is in your favor.

You do realize NO ONE forces you to buy it.

If you are pissed we are undercutting you, i have a simple solution. DONT BUY IT! You have no one but your own consumers to blame.

I find it laughable you want to reinvigorate your homeland manufacturing sector, yet when your product is sold at a much higher dollar value due to much more expensive manufacturing process that higher wage workers create, your consumers will run to the shelf with the Chinese produced products.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

Fine. Stop exporting it.

Fine. Stop buying it.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm not wishing for that at all.

Simply making a point. No one forces the US to buy it. If they want to blame someone, look in the mirror. No one is stopping you from slapping tarifs on it, which in sure Trump will do.

Then have fun buying your more expensive, locally produced product, driving up the cost of housing, amongst many other things.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: KEACHI
a reply to: nightbringr

So we should let Canada shove a forest of trees up our ass because we produce and sell more useful goods than them, Fu€¥ Off!

You're the suckers buying it.

Maybe you should go to a local construction shop and teach your fellow Americans not to buy the Canadian stuff. I'm sure they would appreciate you telling them how to spend their money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join