It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who knew Trump would go after Canada?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Who knew Trump would go after Canada?

President Trump is picking his first trade fight with...Canada. That's not a typo. Trump spent his 2016 campaign lambasting China and Mexico for cheating on trade. But Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross announced a surprising 20% tariff on Canadian softwood lumber Monday night, along with individual tariffs on five specific Canadian lumber firms that ranged from 3% to 24%. "This is really a slap in the face of Canada," says Gary Clyde Hufbauer, a trade expert at the Peterson Institute for International Economics. "This is quite punishing to Canadian producers."

Just when you think there is no new way he can embarrass America the idiot starts a trade war with Canada. Trump does understand that it isn't the job of the President to piss off all our allies? You don't piss people off before making a deal with them. And seeing how Americans got reamed on the Carrier deal I hate to see how America is going to get shafted when this moron renegotiates the NAFTA agreement.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Me! I knew it was inevitable as soon as he started talking about renegotiating NAFTA.

+40 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

You're wrong. Canada has been #ing us on this for decades. Bush and Obama both agreed and tried to get it to stop and get a settlement. Trump is just doing his job, and doing it much better than his predecessors.
edit on 25-4-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Its just tariffs, not a war. If they don't want to pay it ship to Japan, they need lumber.

That is one of the pseudo promises Trump made about increasing tariffs, to 'bring home companies and create jobs here'.

How he plans to produce canadian lumber here is a well kept secret.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
So what's the over/under on when we'll start building the Canadian wall?

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Trump does understand that it isn't the job of the President to piss off all our allies?

You mean like SPYING on them like the last guy ?

Or funneling cash to the opposition candidate in Israel.

I thought Trump embarrassed the US for having the notion to run in the primaries.

+27 more 
link   
Yeah because nothing screams fair trade like the Canadian government subsidizing Canadian lumber so that its producers can undercut the American producers who produce the same thing. And then they export that artificially cheap lumber into America.

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Me too. I thought he's pick a trade fight with Justin Trudeau just because Trudeau's the opposite of Trump. They don't seem to like each other much. Justin Trudeau is the "anti-Jared Kushner".

+19 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Well Canada has a weak leader.

Just like America had the last 8 years, we saw how other countries took advantage of that fact.

I'm fine with taking advantage of a weak Canadian leader to gain an advantage.

Trump is doing exactly what he was elected to do.

link   

how America is going to get shafted when this moron renegotiates the NAFTA agreement.

One million US jobs lost higher income inequality

Americans got the shaft before Trump ever got here.

link   

originally posted by: neo96

Trump does understand that it isn't the job of the President to piss off all our allies?

You mean like SPYING on them like the last guy ?

Or funneling cash to the opposition candidate in Israel.

I thought Trump embarrassed the US for having the notion to run in the primaries.

Well America does exactly the same thing!

link   
Sure ok Just Blame Canada

lmfao...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Not surprising. It has been an issue for awhile and unresolved for decades.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Yeah well but like TWO totally different prez's.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I'm not up to speed with US/Canadian trade relations, but I'm raising an eyebrow with thoughts of the hard dealing Trump will play with an independent UK.
Exciting times for sure let's hope he plays nice, speaking as a Brit of course.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
We have more fi'ing lumber in Canada than you can shake a stick at.

I''d love to keep it that way.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

NAFTA is a joke. It DOES hurt our economy and our country. He may be an idiot but he's right about that. If a Canadian company's products are undercutting ours, this is a solid move. There are two rules in business.
1. This is not a personal affront to Canada. This is about money and the health of our economy. And,
2. Never joke or # with the health of our economy. This is serious business.
I support his move even though I didnt, nor would I ever vote for him. Good for Trump. I mean, unless YOU have an MBA from Wharton. Do you? Give the guy a break. He's trying to do the right thing.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Neith
Sure ok Just Blame Canada

lmfao...

Wait, so you're saying the proper approach would be for our government to subsidize our lumber even more than your own government does and than export our even cheaper subsidized lumber over into Canuckistan?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: KEACHI

You're wrong. Canada has been #ing us on this for decades. Bush and Obama both agreed and tried to get it to stop and get a settlement. Trump is just doing his job, and doing it much better than his predecessors.

Pfffft!

Trump bitches about unfair farming practices we are employing, when the US has a 400 million trade SURPLUS with us!

He is being a baby, and so are you. Just America being a bully to its neighbor, nothing new.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, I'd much rather Amerkianistan minded their own damn business and left our lumber alone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join