It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Im not sure about other parts of the US, but in Texas people seem to really anguish over where they live due to school districts. My county has 4 ISD's. THe biggest one sucks terribly. The 3 smaller ones have less opportunity but improved teaching and far improved classmates. Its all socio economic, as the bigger ISD also has the poorest from a more urban area, while the other 3 are rural with a different kind of poor person.

Anyway, people put a lot of effort and spend a lot of money to be in a good school district. I have family that struggles to pay their rent in Richardson so their kids can go to Richland Hills.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I stand by my position that the use of "Ebonics" is an utterly useless and even destructive practice.

You can make all the semantic and "rich cultural diversity" arguments you leftists love to make, but that does not change the fact that people of any race with poor English skills limit their ability to find employment and achieve advancement going forward.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: sapien82

Im not sure about other parts of the US, but in Texas people seem to really anguish over where they live due to school districts. ...

Absolutely. I lived in Frisco (Dallas area) for several years ('03 - '10) and it never ceased to amaze me the lengths people would go to to get into the "right" school district.

I've never seen that phenomenon anywhere else.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

I stand by my position that the use of "Ebonics" is an utterly useless and even destructive practice.

You can make all the semantic and "rich cultural diversity" arguments you leftists love to make, but that does not change the fact that people of any race with poor English skills limit their ability to find employment and achieve advancement going forward.

Are you American?? then your English is not exactly the same as a Brit, or an Auzzie , the spelling and usage can vary widely, I don't care what your political stance is, guessing you fancy yourself a conservative, you don't know or want to know the story behind how and why such speech patterns develop then fine, whatever you think it ain't semantics or useless, how big is the music industry that makes billions off of it from Blues to Hiphop for over a century, in about a hindered yrs the language will evolve into something completely different, Shakespeare would have a difficult time understanding what the heck you and I are babbling about.

Need I say it again, I am against using Ebonics or any other dialect as a language of instruction, however useless it's certainly is not.
edit on 28-4-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

You can make all the semantic and "rich cultural diversity" arguments you leftists love to make

We "leftists" do NOT make this argument. We support quality education.

Please thoroughly investigate what we stand for. Don't be talkin trash on us.
edit on 4/28/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The Black community hasn't been given anything. Welfare and affirmative action are distributed among WAY more than just Black people, so don't try to take social programs that are designed to benefit every group from White women to humpback midgets and say, "Look what we do for YOU."

No. The Black community's SPECIFIC wounds have never been addressed and anytime somebody brings up reparations, close-minded simpletons like yourself shove your head in the sand and shift responsibility to everybody else you can lay eyes on.

I said, "If somebody shoots you in the chest, should they just leave you there and say, "Well, the bullet already left the chamber so it's not responsibility"? No. You'd still be bleeding. And while Black America is bleeding, after being robbed at gunpoint for centuries, you mfs still think we're supposed to assimilate into your system!"

And your first response is, "I do not own slaves." and "...damned well yes you are going to assimilate!" The freaking arrogance of you people. You'd have to be blind to not see the irony here.

P.S. Do you really think a job and an education is the extent of your capabilities? What are you even doing on this site?
edit on 28-4-2017 by prepared4truth because: post-script

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: prepared4truth

Fine live in poverty squalor and ignorance.

Have fun living in # holes like oakland a Detoliet with no hope of escape.

You have CHOSEEN to live uneducated lives in poverty.

So dont bitch when I laugh at you.

And your going to be waiting for reperations foever your never going to get them. And if you try people like me will violently oppose it.

Its just a shame people like you mar the blacks that do assimilate and make something of your self.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

You can make all the semantic and "rich cultural diversity" arguments you leftists love to make

We "leftists" do NOT make this argument. We support quality education.

Please thoroughly investigate what we stand for. Don't be talkin trash on us.

i have been investigating leftism for 30 years and know that parasitical nation-killing ideology better than most of it's cult members.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: SBMcG

Are you American?? then your English is not exactly the same as a Brit, or an Auzzie , the spelling and usage can vary widely, I don't care what your political stance is, guessing you fancy yourself a conservative, you don't know or want to know the story behind how and why such speech patterns develop then fine, whatever you think it ain't semantics or useless, how big is the music industry that makes billions off of it from Blues to Hiphop for over a century, in about a hindered yrs the language will evolve into something completely different, Shakespeare would have a difficult time understanding what the heck you and I are babbling about.

Need I say it again, I am against using Ebonics or any other dialect as a language of instruction, however useless it's certainly is not.

I couldn't care less what the "story" behind the history of Ebonics might be. It's meaningless to the point I'm trying to make.

Every effort wasted on "accommodating" the utterly useless bad habit of "Ebonics" is a wasted chance to learn correct English.

The more someone speaks in Ebonics, the less successful that persona is going to be.

It's not not a real language, but a willful butchery of the Queen's English.
edit on 28-4-2017 by SBMcG because: Obama is a failed dummy.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Right. Of course. You hate the free thinking Blacks that don't just shut up and assimilate. You love the Blacks that acknowledge how superior your society is and how we should all be educated by you. You love that ego stroke. You love believing that poverty and ignorance awaits any who oppose your systems of pity.

And I just read that post by TrueBrit.

originally posted by: TrueBrit

So, you would be against learning to speak, read and write in English, because you believe that it is a tool of an oppressor? I wonder then, why it was that America, a nation of people who had been oppressed with British guns, sought to take up the tools of their oppressors, the better to prevent their enslavement by a regime which cared nothing for them, sought it so hard, that the founders of the nation itself enshrined in its constitution the right to keep and bear those arms?

I wonder also, what it was that inspired Martin Luther King Jnr to learn to speak such perfect, beautiful English, the better to battle the tyrannical behaviour of the fundamentalist right during the civil rights movement? Surely, if your argument had any merit whatsoever, America would have shunned the gun, and MLK would have refused to orate in such astoundingly wonderful fashion?

It must also be said, that not only is your argument flawed, but if people in history had thought as you do, the present we are living in today would be a very different, and almost certainly worse place, with regards to rights and the way they are distributed amongst populations. It is certain that things could be better than they are, but the way that happens is by way of engagement, not division, education, not ignorance, a preparedness to share in common with others, language, music, theatre, culture itself. Cutting oneself off from ones fellow human beings, regardless of their colour of skin, or their political views, even refusing to engage with the language spoken in common with others, cannot do anything but harm a community, increase the level to which it is cut off from others. Being ostracised by those around you is a terrible thing, but it is far harder to correct a scenario in which you ostracise yourself.

The most inspiring and powerful figures in civil rights in the last hundred years, would not agree with your position on these matters, and the proof is that they stood out in the open, used the language you eschew as a weapon of liberation, in fact campaigned to ensure that people from their communities could have equal access to the education which permitted them to form arguments and persuade detractors. They did so, precisely because they knew that far from being a tool to oppress their communities with, a grasp of the language being spoken around them, was a shield against improper treatment, would give them better access to and understanding of the law, would permit them to make for themselves better careers, access higher education with more regularity, and free those people from the chains about their wrists, the better that they could make their way in the world, and gain the respect they deserved from those around them.

And here you are, crapping on their efforts? Without those efforts, those who used the language you eschew to power through the lies that were being told about people of colour, without the language MLK used to prove to the unenlightened, that actually, the people of colour were smart, capable, and hardworking, rather than accepting the evil propaganda of the KKK, without the language that civil rights leaders used to organise and inspire generations of young people of colour, the plight of that broader community in this day and age would be utterly appalling, would never have stepped out of the shadow of oppression during the civil rights era.

If you want to keep yourself in the dark, that is your lookout, but I find it highly inadvisable to propagate the idea that your choice has any logical merit to it, or will provide protection from oppression nearly as well as a proper grounding and a good education in communication with ALL members of the greater community of the world. In order that what communication occurs be of a high quality and well understood outside of the rarefied confines of one community, one must accept that standardised language is necessary and desirable. A solid ability to read, write and speak English as she is known throughout more than half the world, is a gateway far more akin to a ticket to freedom, than it ever is another shackle around a pair of ankles.

Lol I love when people bring up Martin Luther King Jr. I love the ignorance in using flowery language to praise him for his oratory skills, which led to his death and the destruction of his people. After that famous speech that most White folk love to parade him around for, he made many remarks that contradicted the core message of that speech. Remarks such as, "I may have integrated my people into a burning house." You know, right before he died he stopped using that flowery language. He started talking about reparations. And then he was killed.

Non-violence was a palatable message for tyranny, one that could be used and IS still used to keep the sheep in line. So that when we are discontent with the pen they've made for us, we do anything but actually fight to escape the system.

Now, you might never see English as a tool of your oppressor. In your example of comparing Americans to Britains, they spoke English BEFORE THEY LEFT. But I want you to try a little something called Empathy (not to be confused with sympathy). Our language was STRIPPED from us. English was literally forced onto us. So yes, it is a tool of our oppressors and it is in this spirit that most of the Black Marxists and other revolutionaries throughout history have inspired and influenced global change in the way we fight tyranny.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

You dont like living in a country where engish is the primary language? Well # off backnto Africa? Go on no ones stopping you. You can in a country that doesnt speak English and be happy.

Otherwise? Shut up and live in poverty or go get a education and a good job. There is no other options. No ones comeing to give you free money or pay for you .

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I know you don't , but you just feel the need to blabber about a subject you have interest in understanding, there is a word for that it's called being a_____.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Don't you get tired of using the same argument over and over again? It's funny how you say you don't own slaves, but you use the exact same arguments that the slave owners used to use.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Blabber all you like as you still only got 3 options.

1) Go back to Africa

2) Shut up and enjoy your life in the ghetto

3) Assimilate in to the country your in and become a respected individual.

edit on 28-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

You forgot the fourth option, silly.

4. We could follow your example by doing what you did to the Native Americans who held this country before you.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: prepared4truth

4. We could follow your example by doing what you did to the Native Americans who held this country before you.

Native Americans never held the UK.

Anyway that still relys on you getting a education and working out how things work.
While you your lot are scrounging off welfare and shooting each other I think I will consider me and evil race safe

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: prepared4truth

So really, you're no better than a slave owner. Maybe the next time you feel hatred towards slave owners just remember, you would do the same thing, or worse, if you had the opportunity. But surely, you are worthy of reparations.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Don't know where Mr/M's prepared truth is from but odds are she / he have ancestors been in the States or what would become the States for upwards of of 300 yes if not earlier, about the same time as the European ancestors, of today's American majority.
So fk-off back to where exactly ??
edit on 28-4-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Ok then they have 2 options then:

1) STFU and continue life in the Ghetto.

2) Get a good education, good job and assimilate into the country.

Reparations are not going to happen. Period.

So one can wollow in poverty or try and make a life for themselves.
edit on 28-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

I know you don't , but you just feel the need to blabber about a subject you have interest in understanding, there is a word for that it's called being a_____.

I don't know what that has to do with the uselessness of "Ebonics".

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join