It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

No need to apologize mon , enjoyed the read.
Nuff respect.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: paraphi

Now I'm pretty good at understanding people because you just pay them undivided attention , but I couldn't understand my flat mate Patrick when he was drunk , his English just got worse as he continued , his thick Irish accent turned into this drawl that was so hard to follow.

This is so funny! Drunk Irish is by far the most challenging vernacular I've encountered yet!

Great post, btw.
edit on 28-4-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

we make everything into taco's. Or "sandwich wraps" if you prefer.

i like rolled sandwiches for their opportunity to use alfalfa sprouts. Although that isn't very Jamexican.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

Whapp'n? cool runn'n mon, we's be ire mon.

That read suspiciously like a Bajan ( someone from Barbados) or a Trini (someone from Trinidad) not to be confused with the term tranni, a Jamaican would drop the apostrophe and the be.. and go with we ire mon.
cool runn'ns??. no one really say that anymore, that's like soo 80ts
But good try tho, one should note however that slang can make it's way into any dialect to be discarded later as simply a trend.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Look that's why America is a genius nation, take anything from anywhere and make something new out of it or improve on it..

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

I suspect Jive was mostly urban slang not to be confused with what is known as "Black English" or Ebonics, no one really talk jive anymore, now I have to go watch some blaxploitation movies,

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: prepared4truth
Of course Black people CAN learn English. But most don't want to.

Then its there fault if they cant get jobs or function in a society where is English is the primary language.

originally posted by: prepared4truth Why tf would Blacks want to learn the language of their oppressors?

1) that is the primary language of the country they live in
2)they are not being oppressed any more.
3)English is needed to get a job.
4) If blavks refuse to speak English then they have ZERO right to complain they can not get jobs and in my opinion should be cut from welfare as unemployment is a choice.

originally posted by: prepared4truth Why would they want to assimilate into "the professional world" that doesn't accept them for who they are?

Bull#

I work in the professional world with plenty of blacks who are respected and have good careers.
Your last president was black!

Skin colour did not hold them back!

They would view your attitude as pathetic, insulting and harmful to them.
In fact most my black colleges despise the black community due to it making them look bad as it perpetates the stereotype of the N word.

YOU ARE HARMING RACE REALATIONS!

And on top of that, why is it a reality that Ebonics aren't used in the "professional world"? You're telling me that the only professional world in America is the one that White men acknowledge and can communicate in? GTFOH.

Same reason you dont speak other languages.
You can not conduct business in most cases unless there is a shared language!

Take me as a teacher? How the # could I mark work if it is submitted in a dozen languages?

In china you speak chinese, in Germany german, Japan Japanese and England/usa English.

What you are adking is the equivalent of me going to japan to live and refusing to speak Japanese them bitching I can not find a job in Japan.

The arrogance. Ebonics is not a second language for Black people. It is the closest thing Black people have to their first.

Then if they live in a English speaking country and refuse to pick up english as in a secoun language then they have NO RIGHT to bitch and moan that they cant get descent jobs.

originally posted by: prepared4truth And it's not just the OP, it's the smug remarks of everybody on this site claiming that Black people are "too far gone" and evolving backwards and stupid and lazy and yadda yadda yadda. The nerve!

Act like a stereotype get treated like a stereotype. A rule that hardly just applys for blacks.

originally posted by: prepared4truth As if Western society holds some perfect standard of progress... Western society is the reason this planet is about to be destroyed under the weight of our hubris.

Well my life expectancy is 86 and I dont live in a slum surrounded by my own sewage.

But hey if you dont like western society then Africa is waiting for you! Plenty of poverty to go around there!

originally posted by: prepared4truth I'm just really wondering how these people, which may include you, can strip the culture from a people before subjecting them to the most inhumane subjugation ever seen on the planet, then telling them to pull themselves up by the bootstrap before finally saying "Screw it, we've done all we can." It's almost like these people aren't human and have no real connection to the planet or people they are going around "conquering".

Blah blah blah
Slavery is over, its been gone a long time get over it.

And blackes are not the only race to suffer humiliation or even slavery! Ask the jews if they have had a easy time?

You dont see many jews sitting around unemployed, refusing to assimilate asking for free hand outs?

To you, it looks like Blacks aren't expected to learn but to me, it looks like you are trying to perpetuate the imposition of a language that is foreign onto people in the name of the status quo staying alive.

Blacks are fully capable of learning and getting good careers as my friends and colleagues testify.

But you cant learn or get goods jobs if you dont learn the language of the country you reside in!
edit on 28-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I really think a market forces approach should be employed here.

If the school wishes to educated people in this manner, then the product of that education will speak for its quality.

I know what i, personally, am not fond of hiring people from the local high school. Our high school barely maintains accreditation and tends to educate to the lowest common denominator, turning out illogical idiots every year. The few who succeed do so only through the sheer force of personal intellect or intense interdiction at home. To me, the market speaks to that product.

A workforce with communications issue being turned out into a service economy is bound to have issues. We don't even like having our tech service done by Indian speakers.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Problem is innocent children who have no choice in the matter could have there entire futures ruined.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Problem is innocent children who have no choice in the matter could have there entire futures ruined.

Its already happening, and isn't anything new.

We can't force people to get their heads out of their asses. All we can do is try to convince them.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Apropos of nothing, this thread reminded me of a Monty Python sketch (as most threads ultimately do). In this case, it's "The Banter Sketch", featuring RAF banter. "Real" fighter pilot jargon is some of the best alternative language out there. This is just, IMO, really funny.

For those who can't easily watch a video, here's a link to the transcript - The Banter Sketch.

I'm all for schools holding the line on English as well as math. Even if at home 2+2=9 it's wrong to allow that to go unchallenged at school. But there's (maybe) a fine line between discouraging lingo, jargon, slang, etc and stigmatizing it.

IMO it's ~almost like making fun of a kid with a speech impediment. Teach and grade the right way, but some kids know no better and correcting in a way that stigmatizes them for their cultural background isn't ever going to win.

Just watch the sketch. It's funny.
edit on 4/28/2017 by yeahright because: link

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Of course, what else should I expect but for you to victim blame and shift responsibility. Funny how I'm the one harming race relations while you can even acknowledge a Black man as your president. You called him my President, very indicative of your mentality.

Not like expect much else from somebody who preaches about learning English but can barely use it correctly themselves. The ignorance is astounding. If somebody shoots you in the chest, should they just leave you there and say, "Well, the bullet already left the chamber so it's not responsibility"? No. You'd still be bleeding. And while Black America is bleeding, after being robbed at gunpoint for centuries, you mfs still think we're supposed to assimilate into your system!

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: prepared4truth

Be less offended and pay more attention. Crazyewok says "your president" because they are from the UK, not America. Ergo, Obama was not "his president".

I lived in Germany for 2 years. Luckily I didn't need to find a job as Uncle Sam already had one for me, but I made an effort to learn the German language. I firmly believe if you are going to live somewhere, you make an effort to learn the language the the country operates under.

I have a friend that I give a hard time to because her parents, after living in this country for 40 years, still refuse to learn English. Her folks speak Portuguese exclusively. Now they place added burdens on those around them for constantly needing translations of everything. This is especially true of their medical appointments.

I'm sorry, but if you aren't going to help yourself, don't expect everyone else to bend to your self imposed handicap.

And by "you" I don't mean YOU specifically, but a more generic "you".

edit on 28-4-2017 by BomSquad because: typos

edit on 28-4-2017 by BomSquad because: Thought my comment came our a little more accusatory than I meant. Tried to reword it, probably failed.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

Of course, what else should I expect but for you to victim blame and shift responsibility.

What responsibility?

I do not own slaves. And I work very well with my black collegues and freinds .

I judge people on individual merit. That is the only responsibility I have.

a reply to: crazyewokFunny how I'm the one harming race relations while you can even acknowledge a Black man as your president. You called him my President, very indicative of your mentality.

Of course he was not not my president! I am BRITISH! Obama is no more my president than Trump is!

a reply to: crazyewokNot like expect much else from somebody who preaches about learning English but can barely use it correctly themselves. The ignorance is astounding. If somebody shoots you in the chest, should they just leave you there and say, "Well, the bullet already left the chamber so it's not responsibility"?

What responsibility? The hlack community has recieved trillions in foreign aid and welfare plus myriads of racist affirmative action programs. What the # more do you people want? My house? The cloths of my back because I promise you, you will get # all from me!

a reply to: crazyewokNo. You'd still be bleeding. And while Black America is bleeding, after being robbed at gunpoint for centuries, you mfs still think we're supposed to assimilate into your system!

Poor bloody you. Your not a slave you have your own destiny in your hands.

And dammed well yes you are going to assimilate! How the hell are you meant to get a job or to get a education if you dont assimilate?

Tell me please? How do you expect to function in a society you dont assimilate in?

If I go to japan should I demand I get fully employment if I refuse to learn Japanese?

Dont refuse assimilate then bitch and moan you cant get a job or a education because all you will get is distain, disgust and a middle finger from me.
You also harm the many blacks who have made something of themselves because they end up tarred with the same brush as you feckless lazy moaning lot and that disgusts me
Your group is as bad as the KKK and the white supremacy groups

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Like Brazilians they call them the cannibal culture in the art world , they eat up world culture and spew it back up something similar but completely their own style , this was evident through graffiti and street art.

this thread got me thinking , we should do a study of ATS users and how we use language to communicate , how threads develop and evolve , how we interact .

That would be cool , I like it when we can all interact like this and keep it friendly , save for the few users who cant help themselves and have to resort to throwing insults. I sometimes type out what I think I want to say then re type it because I think that its pointless to get upset , vexxed or angry about someones opinion , just accept it and let it be , as long as we all stick to the facts , there is always something we can learn from each other or take away something positive . Or just have a laugh

, it's perfect though we are here discusssing communication and we have communication breakdown happening before our very eyes.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The Seinfeld episode where George entertains the Houston Astros front office. Culture clash.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I really think a market forces approach should be employed here.

If the school wishes to educated people in this manner, then the product of that education will speak for its quality.

I know what i, personally, am not fond of hiring people from the local high school. Our high school barely maintains accreditation and tends to educate to the lowest common denominator, turning out illogical idiots every year. The few who succeed do so only through the sheer force of personal intellect or intense interdiction at home. To me, the market speaks to that product.

A workforce with communications issue being turned out into a service economy is bound to have issues. We don't even like having our tech service done by Indian speakers.

Excellently expressed. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I have to agree from a teaching perspective if that school is willing to allow it then let the childrens grades and intelligence speak for itself , see how their grading is compared to other school in the same state etc then parents can decide whether they want there kids to goto learn there!

if it turns out they getter better grades etc then its further evidence to suppor the teaching of ebonics for minority students in classes along side English etc

let the evidence speak for itself

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I have to agree from a teaching perspective if that school is willing to allow it then let the childrens grades and intelligence speak for itself , see how their grading is compared to other school in the same state etc then parents can decide whether they want there kids to goto learn there!

if it turns out they getter better grades etc then its further evidence to suppor the teaching of ebonics for minority students in classes along side English etc

let the evidence speak for itself
The evidence has already spoken for itself.

Young people need to be articulate in the vulgate (common language of ALL of the people, from lowest drifter to highest CEO) in order to engage in a cohesive society. Academic and business English; conversational and literary English. Just like when I start a new job and am going to use Spanish in that job, I need to review the vocabulary to make sure I am ready to sound knowledgeable and competent. EVERY PERSON needs to be able to do that, in whatever environment they find themselves.

Intelligence has nothing (ZERO zip nada) to do with language ability. One's ability to communicate in English is directly related to one's home environment and early education. That is not up for debate. It is a proven fact.
Children in English-speaking countries need to learn the English that is used in business and school, if they are to succeed in those venues. Whether or not those venues are positive or negative influences in society is a different topic.

But, in any case, one's ability to communicate is directly related to one's success in life.

If you'd like some links and outcomes reports, please do say so.

edit on 4/28/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Although that isn't very Jamexican.

But very Spanglish.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join