It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
anyway life is too short to live in boxes. remember that.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111

Life is too short to be intentionally and willfully stupid as well.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

And who exactly was doing that sir? Or are you here to make yourself feel a little better about your shortcomings? I'm trying to understand what contribution your trying to make and im coming up with zilch.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

a reply to: SBMcG

because all employers require people to talk the same? i weird. i hear tons of accents when i go out even doing daily tasks. wonder how they got jobs?

If I'm an employer and most of my potential clients or customers can't understand my employee because he or she speaks in Ebonics, then I'm not going to hire that person to begin with.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari

And who exactly was doing that sir? Or are you here to make yourself feel a little better about your shortcomings? I'm trying to understand what contribution your trying to make and im coming up with zilch.

It's willful ignorance to refuse to learn proper English in this country and still expect to be successful in life.

I hope that helps.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

a reply to: EvillerBob

force them to live with limitations?

i hate this idea that if you dont do something in life perfectly you are failed to doom. that is 1000% false.

life is about creating what you want to. doing what you want. i personally have the believe that no matter what you look like talk like etc you can turn out to be a millionaire. doing whatever the hell you wanted like creating a new invention or starting a business whatever the case may be

stop trying to change people because they dont fill some close minded mold that you CREATED in your own mind of how they should act, dress, look, etc!!!

They already fill the mold of Rapper/Athlete. Those are the only legit (not illegal) careers many strive for to make their millions. What happens when theres too many rappers or athletes?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
a reply to: crazyewok

This, and things like it, hurt minorities. It does not help them.
The real world will not coddle them like schools do.
Using ebonics on Job applications, while speaking to authoritative figures, and teaching language to their children will hold them back.

Almost as if by design...

All these (mostly) liberal policies meant to help minorities do the opposite.
They give minorities a "boogyman" to fear and give them a built in excuse to fail and their children to fail..

Blame it on the man, rinse, wash, repeat.

Brilliant post, best one I have seen in some time.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It's willful ignorance to refuse to learn proper English in this country and still expect to be successful in life.

I hope that helps.

Well your taking a leap there because you assume someone that speaks so called ebonics don't know proper english. Don't make assumptions you know what that leads to. Have you every said wasup, cool or any other slang words before? I'm sure you have. Does that mean you don't know proper English?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: crazyewok

You should read my post on page one, I linked to a different, less deceitful article. Are you unaware that there's a war on Academia in the U.S. and that lies and deliberate misconstruing of facts happen all the time?

The war on academia is being waged by the academia itself, by way of prodding from unknown sources.

They fall for these scams on a regular basis.

link   

stop trying to change people because they dont fill some close minded mold that you CREATED in your own mind of how they should act, dress, look, etc!!!

If it were only me, your point would be valid. Unfortunately, it's a significant portion of humanity that responds differently to people based entirely on how they act, dress, look, and sound. For as long as that remains the case (which will be "forever" because humans are just wired that way) I will continue to encourage people to provide children with as many tools as possible to help them succeed in the future.

link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

i hate this idea that if you dont do something in life perfectly you are failed to doom. that is 1000% false.

life is about creating what you want to. doing what you want. i personally have the believe that no matter what you look like talk like etc you can turn out to be a millionaire. doing whatever the hell you wanted like creating a new invention or starting a business whatever the case may be

They already fill the mold of Rapper/Athlete. Those are the only legit (not illegal) careers many strive for to make their millions. What happens when theres too many rappers or athletes?

Then we become doctors, architects, teachers, etc. Where are you going with this? Your post shows how ignorant you are when it comes to black America. Turn off the TV.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Then we become doctors, architects, teachers, etc. Where are you going with this? Your post shows how ignorant you are when it comes to black America. Turn off the TV.

I'm sorry, its Black America that tells young kids to not do "white things" to be succesful, which is probably why a low percentage of Black America is successful.
edit on 26-4-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I read the first two pages and had to stop, I can't believe all the racist, close minded and ignorant remarks I was reading!!!! Read the article!!! Your comments show you didn't read it!!

The only intelligent people in the world are those who speak proper english?!?! That is so insanely racist I want to pull my hair out!!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

You live in a insane bubble.

No you can not dress and talk how you like and expect all the same opportunitys.

Jobs will be closed that is fact!

If you dont believe me then get a interview at a local pharmaceutical company, wear nothing but jeans and flipflops and talk slang in the interview, if you get the job I will give you $10000!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Sure.

But you wont be a doctor with you can not communicate in clear english.

I have worked with many professional black people and they all have one thing in common, aside from there secound native language or slang they can talk in clear and precise english as well.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
I read the first two pages and had to stop, I can't believe all the racist, close minded and ignorant remarks I was reading!!!! Read the article!!! Your comments show you didn't read it!!

The only intelligent people in the world are those who speak proper english?!?! That is so insanely racist I want to pull my hair out!!

Then post a mod alert.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I hope that helps.

The point is its a tool to help teach them proper english. Your on a tangent that the professor wasnt even talking about. No one wants ebonics taught only kept in mind when teaching, If you automatically downgrade the student because of his upbringing they will never meet their full potential.

Stop being racist pricks and just look at how much easier it is to teach english if the student understands you.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

Slightly O.T but yeah although I agree with the basic premise of the OP the raw racism by a lot of posters here can be off putting.

We get that idea from folks who make movies, view any movie made by Hollywood and it give the upper crusties English accent, Rome, Gladiator, Star Wars etc, Romeo and Juliet , so much so that, Samuel L Jackson recently went on tirade about AAs losing out to Black Brits in Hollywood, never mind a lot of folks with proper English accent can be blathering idiots. the perception is they are more intelligent and that whats counts.
edit on 26-4-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I could care less if I'm called "racist". It's not "racist" to voice my considered opinion that Ebonics is not worthy of ANY special attention other than to be eliminated from the user's lexicon while they're young.

There is no redeeming value in Ebonics.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

Most human beings find value in one another, be it the quirks of speech, the creative output, the fellowship, the meeting of minds.

If you can't see the value in an inherently rich outpouring of human cognitive process then I'm afraid that is on you and your own lack of imagination.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join