It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're not gonna believe this

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
How'd a thunk that "rednecked working peasant" would become such a fashion statement ?

Those silly yuppy consumers... we've had the "dirty look" (au naturel too !) market cornered for centuries.

The more things change... The rich aping the poor is nothing new. In fact, Marie Antoinette had a whole peasant village (the Queen's Hamlet) created for her and her guest's amusement, complete with peasants to work the grounds and chickens for the queen to feed while she was dressed as a milkmaid.

www.thevintagenews.com... ple-peasant/

edit on 26-4-2017 by icanteven because: Fixing typos

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This is not new, it has been going on for some time in the guitar industry. They call it "relic"-ing. Fender, Gibson, and a few others take a perfectly fine instrument and beat the living crap out of it, then charge EXTRA for adding "character" or "mojo". I thought it was a joke when they started but they're still at it so someone is buying.

I wonder when the car manufacturers will jump on the bandwagon?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Clear knee mom jeans- Now these leave just a what the heck all around. Torn at the knees, fine, pseudo grunge "distressed look", nothing new. The clear jeans description claims futuristic, really? That's no Blade Runner(one example), etc!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
wow £352 for jeans even a homeless person would think twice about wearing.

I could buy 17 pairs of normal jeans for that and have some change left over.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

When I was in the underground music industry, we'd often go to different people's studios. Some of those studios were really cheap, while others rivaled the major studios like Ocean Way. My own studio was pretty cheap so I'm not judging on that.

However, a lot of the well equipped studios seemed to have a problem: their signals were "too" clean. The most expensive mics, most expensive mic preamps, and most expensive digital converters seem to pick up everything. This ultra clean sound was not only annoying but it could often suck the "edginess" out of a recording, which is the last thing you want with underground music.

So a lot of those recording engineers would introduce noise into the signals in order to make it sound rougher. Others would either use really cheap mics or really cheap preamps in order to add that "fuzz" back into the tracks. Others would add digital versions of cheap mic & mic preamp combinations to their recordings, all to make the music sound like it was made in a cheap studio.

That was always weird to me because I'd offer to trade my cheap gear for their expensive gear (since I'd drool over their gear & then they could have the coveted "cheap" sound they wanted). But they'd never accept it. lol Then again, the whole point in some studios using expensive "tube" gear is bring back the subtle artifacts from older worn out gear, so I guess it makes sense.

The point I'm making is that maybe industrial products have become too efficient and that efficiency is killing the character in products. I don't mind having an industrial made hammer, but I still prefer homemade cookies because the variations and "inconsistencies" make it taste better. And sword collectors still typically value handmade custom pieces over mass produced versions. Maybe this is the same kind of thing?
edit on 26-4-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That's your argument? lmao wow.

Big difference between snakeskin boots and jeans with rust stains on them.

It is not "the same thing"

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I've seen the same thing, digital boards with "lo fi" filters and whatnot. As far as sound goes, I can't fault someone for using everything at their disposal to get the sound they're looking for. The guitars, on the other hand, are beat up purely to look like they've actually seen a hard rock 'n roll life. Sorta like these jeans you don't have to earn your battle scars just pony up some extra cash and buy them.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
For a second, I thought I was on Buzzfeed.

What's this site becoming? This is the worst thread I've ever seen on ATS, congrats.

Click here for the 10 reasons why.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
oh fashion trends. always crazy. always unpredictable

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

If we think about it from a purely social perspective, it still makes sense. People are always trying to find new ways to impress others & fit into their desired groups. So maybe this is the same thing? It's all just consumer products & the exercise of freedom to me, so it's not a big deal to me.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

First, thanks for the "relic" post! Half the fun of a new guitar is breaking it in! At first you baby it. Then you beat the crap out of it. Then baby it again so you don't have to pay for repairs! Lol. Buying a beat up guitar baffles me.

Ditto on blue jeans. My distressed Kirkland jeans are good enough for me. Each rip, hole, stain, beer spill is it's own story. You don't get that with off the rack!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Ehh
I think this is in line with marketing click bait for poor souls like you to get upset about and throw a fuss about.
Yeah yeah blah blah problem reaction solution.
You're just a victim of the story...or a hired soulless shill trying to poke the embers.
This is bs a non story.
Just put in place to make stupid working folk fight privileged vacant minded children's parents that would buy them.

Lift the veil.
Idiots

P.s.: this is dystopia. This is the end if we're ACTUALLY talking about this.

Let the second. Coming. come. asap
(And I do mean plurally)

edit on 4/27/2017 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/27/2017 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What the $hit is this? They look like someone smeared feces on them..... Who in the hell wants to walk around looking like they're terrified of a washing machine?

And there's another pair on the site....for just 425 american pesos, you can look like like a homeless thing that just killed someone..

I'm done...i'm so f*cking done...

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: garbageface
For a second, I thought I was on Buzzfeed.

What's this site becoming? This is the worst thread I've ever seen on ATS, congrats.

Click here for the 10 reasons why.

No, buzzfeed would be telling you how great they are, and why you absolutely NEED to have them....

The point of this thread, is to point out yet another way society is self-destructing.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: prevenge

Lift the veil.
Idiots

P.s.: this is dystopia. This is the end if we're ACTUALLY talking about this.

Whew! Thanks for the wake up call, bro. Now- back to higher pursuits like Trump praising/bashing...

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wonder how much I could sell mine for!
My jeans probably violate controlled substance laws some states...

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4003fireglo

originally posted by: Neith

Only an ass would by a pair of pants for 450.00 bucks. What an idiot.

I'm going to start a Jeans Co. and call it KISS MY ASS. And on every back pocket it's gonna say KMA.

And then when it's super 'popular' i'm gonna raise the price slowly from 40 bucks to 500.00

After that, I'll wait a few mths and then i'll have a going out of idiot sale and sell them off for 20 bucks a pair, and laugh at all the idiots who bought my Jeans for 450.00. I will Jean Shame Them lmfao!

IDIOTS!

Where's your business plan? I'll be your angel investor. I think I've got a nickle to spare around here somewhere.

Absolutely! I have a few great business plans roaming around in my mind.This one however is my favorite.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I bought a pair wash of stain wash jeans for 12 bucks, go figure.

You only pay through the nose for the brand name, not the product. Hell in my local shopping center one pair of surf shorts can cost 50 bucks but it can go two shops down and get a similar pair for the third of the price.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I wonder for an extra $100 if they will tailor them for you so that when bend over your but crack shows!

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
If people are willing to buy. People will sell.

If you think that's bad.

There's a website called FUBAR. They sell a digital bitmap pic of a pony that you can buy for your very own for 600$ and people have bought it.

People buy fake poop for human sake. This is not at all surprising.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join