It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Get to Mars during my first term': Donald Trump talks to Nasa astronauts in livestream

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Pres Trump wants to have NASA astronauts on Mars within his first term, or failing that his second term. Pres Trump was on a call to astronaut Ms Watson who just set a record for staying in space, 534 days.

Trump appears to have changed his mind on when he want "boots" on mars. He first signed a bill for a landing in the 2030's now he wants that to be moved up to his first term or at worst his second. That is a tall order, and will take lots of $$$$$$$$.

Appearing to forget he had signed a bill directing Nasa to send astronauts to Mars by the 2030s, Mr Trump asked: "Tell me, Mars, what do you see a timing for actually sending humans to Mars?"

I'm sure in his mind he was just signing autographs for the fans.

Politely, Ms Whitson replied: "Well, I think as your bill directed it will be approximately in the 2030s".

Mr Trump said: "We want to do it during my first term and at worst during my second term so we want to speed that up, OK? "

Perhaps Trump says whatever breezes across his mind without due consideration or even true understanding?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ok, you have a diff opinion, that's what makes the world go around.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yep, maybe.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Setting foot on Mars by the end of his second term would be ambitious and we would need to start yesterday.

It's a 9 month trip on the best circumstances so we'd need to have resupply available when we arrived. We'd need to send a lot more unmanned landers with equipment beforehand, if anything else there would need to be automated equipment collecting oxygen, hydrogen, etc to refill tanks and a booster rocket to get the astronauts back into orbit. They astronauts would have to wait another 3 months before the best launch window re-appears so if they want to explore the planet first-hand we'd also need to send prefab dwelling that could survive the landing and maintain hull integrity.

So that's 9 months of food multiplied by the number of people going, assuming water reclamation and carbon scrubbing is working efficiently. Assume we send 12 months supplies ahead that can be received in orbit for the stay and return trip.

I'm not necessarily opposed to all that, but I think a base on the Moon would be a better 'next step.'

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
"We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard" - JFK.

Believe.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: whywhynot

Maybe the President of the USA knows something that we don't

Or, he knows very little about what it takes to put people on Mars.

Or, NASA knows more about it than you do and they gave him hope.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Right. All that secrety spacey stuff.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Elon Musk is paid by the American taxpayer too, make no mistake...only way he got where he is...

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
He's not guaranteed a second term.

If he wants them on Mars immediately this term, we need to launch by mid 2018.

We have all the tech necessary the only issues are funding and initiative.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well, I think he may actually do it.

For the rest of time in the USA, kids will be lectured on Donald Trump and his push to get someone on Mars. Trump is a narcissist, so this fact alone makes me believe fully he has every intention of doing just that regardless of cost or reason.

So...whats the mission? space rocks? look for lives? How long will the stay be? Can they set up some plants that will thrive and replicate? They better set up a number of live cams!

I like the idea, but only if its more than simply plant stabbing the red sand...science and innovation is needed. Set up a gigantic 3d printer to build a colony so the next trip has a small town to go to.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Elon Musk says it would take him 80 days to travel to mars.

edit on 24-4-2017 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Yes Musk receives $1,000,000 a day for all his diff businesses, all tax payer funded.

link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
I'm not necessarily opposed to all that, but I think a base on the Moon would be a better 'next step.'

And a space elevator on the moon so we can start building some impressive space stations around the solar system. That is gonna be the big leap when we can do that.

link   
a reply to: seasonal

Trump Force One

A huge, rocket. It'll be the biggest rocket ever. A fantastic rocket. It'll be great.

Really great.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: seasonal

Trump Force One

A huge, rocket. It'll be the biggest rocket ever. A fantastic rocket. It'll be great.

Really great.

It'll be the best. All other rockets, ever, will be just, you know, nothing... It will make them look like fakes in comparison. Fake rockets!

And the thrust! Ours will be the thrustiest rocket - ever!

edit on 24/4/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: crazyewok

Either way the tax payer is going to pay for it.

Maybe he will get Mexico to pay for it.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

And Mexico will pay for it.

ETA;
Saw above. . .
edit on 24-4-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Nah. They're covering the Wall.
Canada will pay for the Mars rocket.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: DBCowboy

Nah. They're covering the Wall.
Canada will pay for the Mars rocket.

We'll go to Mars on Looney's.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

And a space elevator on the moon so we can start building some impressive space stations around the solar system. That is gonna be the big leap when we can do that.

building ships on th moon means they could be bigger so it has its advantages. But i figure the race to mars is on yo have space x, Mars one,China,Japan and NASA. care to place a wager lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join