It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is due to resume operation May 2017

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is due to resume operation in early May 2017 [!!!] and preparations are even ahead of schedule, by three days. On 21 April beams circulated in the Super Proton Synchrotron (SPS) for the first time this year. All four elements of CERN’s accelerator chain – Linear Accelerator 2 (Linac2), the Proton Synchrotron Booster (PSB), the Proton Synchrotron (PS) and the Super Proton Synchrotron – are now in operation.

Measuring nearly seven kilometres in circumference, the SPS takes particles from the PS and accelerates them to provide high-energy beams to the LHC. It also feeds the SPS North experimental area where, among others, the Common Muon and Proton Apparatus for Structure and Spectroscopy (COMPASS), and the NA61/Shine, NA62 and NA63 experiments are situated.

CERN. Updates, April 24, 2017 - SPS: The last injector back up and running.

- and -

Ever since the discovery of the Higgs Boson in 2012, the Large Hadron Collider has been dedicated to searching for the existence of physics that go beyond the Standard Model. To this end, the Large Hardon Collider beauty experiment (LHCb) was established in 1995, specifically for the purpose of exploring what happened after the Big Bang that allowed matter to survive and create the Universe as we know it.

Since that time, the LHCb has been doing some rather amazing things. This includes discovering five new particles, uncovering evidence of a new manifestation of matter-antimatter asymmetry, and (most recently) discovering unusual results when monitoring beta decay.

Universetoday.com, April 20, 2017 - CERN Declares War On The Standard Model.

They already have some protons circulating! With the injectors back in place looks like next month is a go! If anybody is wondering what science has been going on or is it a huge waste of money and time, there you go. Personally, I think this is good science and worth the time and money already invested. They also have their superconducting magnet maker installed. And a ton of data to sort through from the last run.

Everybody’s favorite portal and earthquake generator is back up and operational! Even the Onion got a story in about CERN scientists apologizing for destroying 5 parallel universes or dimensions (can’t read the site).

Now where did I leave my Vantablack spray on portal…???

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Since the beginning of December, hundreds of people have been busy underground at CERN, working to make important repairs and to upgrade many facilities, across the whole of CERN’s accelerator chain and experiments.

This year the annual shutdown, called the Extended Year End Technical Stop (EYETS) is particularly long, lasting until May 2017, to allow more work to be carried out than in previous years.

At the beginning of the shutdown, the entire machine was drained of its liquid helium to avoid wasting any of the precious element...

Next, the technical team have had to replace one of the 1232 magnets in the LHC’s ring.

Also, the Super Proton Synchrotron (SPS) beam dump needed replacing.

Over the past few weeks the helium has been re-injected into the system and is being slowly cooled so that the machine can be handed back to the operations teams.

CERN, Updates, Aprl 11, 2017 - What happened while the LHC slept over winter?

Wow. All cryo removed and they opened it up. Pumps, insulation, wiring, new parts added, un-needed parts removed, put back together, tested, and cooled down to super conducting temperatures. And they finished a few days early!

That is pretty impressive!

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

The Standard Model has worked beautifully to predict what experiments have shown so far about the basic building blocks of matter, but physicists recognize that it is incomplete. Supersymmetry is an extension of the Standard Model that aims to fill some of the gaps. It predicts a partner particle for each particle in the Standard Model. These new particles would solve a major problem with the Standard Model – fixing the mass of the Higgs boson. If the theory is correct, supersymmetric particles should appear in collisions at the LHC.

Finally, in many theories scientists predict the lighest supersymmetric particle to be stable and electrically neutral and to interact weakly with the particles of the Standard Model. These are exactly the characteristics required for dark matter, thought to make up most of the matter in the universe and to hold galaxies together. The Standard Model alone does not provide an explanation for dark matter. Supersymmetry is a framework that builds upon the Standard Model’s strong foundation to create a more comprehensive picture of our world.

CERN, Supersymmetry.

That is a brief over of supersymmetry (you may see it abbreviated as, 'SUSY'). Like the periodic table of the elements, SUSY fills out and predicts how particle physics could be laid out by pairing up particles with a theoretical and symmetrical partner. With all the upgrades at the LHC they are at the strength to verify if this is indeed how our universe is put together.

Either way, SUSY proved or questions asked, this is major for theoretical physics which is why I'm excited about the start of science at CERN and its instrumentation.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The ALICE [A Large Ion Collider Experiment] experiment has been designed to study collisions of heavy nuclei. It also studies proton-proton collisions, which primarily provide reference data for the heavy-nuclei collisions. The reported measurements have been performed with 7 TeV proton collision data from LHC run 1.

In a paper published today in Nature Physics, the ALICE collaboration reports that proton collisions sometimes present similar patterns to those observed in the collisions of heavy nuclei. This behaviour was spotted through observation of so-called strange hadrons in certain proton collisions in which a large number of particles are created. Strange hadrons are well-known particles with names such as Kaon, Lambda, Xi and Omega, all containing at least one so-called strange quark. The observed ‘enhanced production of strange particles’ is a familiar feature of quark-gluon plasma... But it is the first time ever that such a phenomenon is unambiguously observed in the rare proton collisions in which many particles are created. This result is likely to challenge existing theoretical models that do not predict an increase of strange particles in these events.

CERN, Updates, April 24, 2017 - New ALICE results show novel phenomena in proton collisions.

This observation was found by examining data collected during Run 1 in 2013! The data is collected, review, checked, all due diligence is performed. After all that, it goes to pre-publish, and looks like Nature Physics was satisfied with the science done and published the paper the other day.

So what does this mean, TEOT? ALICE is part of LHC and looks at proton-proton collisions. When they performed the collisions 4 years ago, they got results. The calculations state they had more "strange hadrons" created when all was said and done. As stated, they have seen this before but not in proton-proton collisions. Which means something in the theory that says this should not have been observed is not correct. Which is why science is done in the first place.

Strange quarks all 'round!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
From my small understanding...It looks like the AWAKE experiment is actually to create a longer lasting quark gluon plasma field by sending protons through a hot plasma field in order to allow the release of some of the color energy of gluons that bind the three quarks of a proton together. They have seen this in proton collisions but it is just for an instant. In a hot plasma field though, it can seperate protons in the beam that goes through the plasma field creating a secondary field of quark-gluon plasma. This is supposedly the state f matter just after the big bang. Interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If they can regulate the energy of the first plasma field with the pulsing of the proton packets they might be able to make the field stable. I'm not sure what a stable QGP field can eventually be used for? It is considered a perfect liquid state of matter though. On a quasi sci-fi religious note, the abzu was a liquid where the ancient gods came through in Sumerian temples and legend. Absu is also related to our word abyss, where in Revelation the beast comes from.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think you misunderstand what AWAKE is trying to do. AWAKE is an experiment which is trying to prove the concept of using proton driven wakefield acceleration of electrons.

It is basically pure research and development of accelerator technologies. The generation of plasma is part of the process of producing extremely high electric and magnetic fields that drive electron acceleration. It isn't a QCD experiment.

I know this because there was a Seminar where I work about a month ago given by someone in the collaboration. Not going to pretend to understand the exact methodology but the purpose was to develop accelerator technologies that could be made smaller and more efficient allowing beams to reach beyond LHC beam power and centre of mass energy

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I understand what CERN is saying the AWAKE experiment is for, and I haven't been to any seminar. But I like to try to figure out possible secondary imperatives. The reason I came to my own conclusion was based on their own PDF off their website thats about maybe 30 pages. At the end it talked about QCD. Quantum chromadynamics as being where the experiment is headed in discovery. So I did ALOT of amateur reading on what QCD is as opposed to QED (electron) and also QGP. It is too much to explain right now this second, but basically color force of gluons holding together the quarks in a free nucleon (proton) can be diminished enough for them to all seperate if in a hot plasma field, creating a secondary quark gluon plasma. This would indeed make it possible to significantly shorten the beam track and the energy needed in collisions (maybe no collision needed) to experiment with QGP.
edit on 26-4-2017 by SelectStart because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2017 by SelectStart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yeah i know what it is also being a PhD in particle physics, did courses on QED and QCD and Advanced QM, but the experiment itself is not targeting that directly, the point is that if the proof of principle is demonstrated to work, then the technology can be further developed in order to open up the possibility of doing that... but it isnt the experiment itself.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I ran across this today. Believe it or not, he didn't die! Funny, scary, so I had to share!

Quartz.com - Large Hadron Collider: What happened to the scientist who stuck his head inside a particle accelerator.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Update

Since particles began circulating in the large ring once more, the LHC’s operators have been testing and adjusting 24 hours a day to turn the LHC into a veritable collision factory. Their work involves forming trains of bunches, building them up over the next few weeks to several hundred and then several thousand bunches per beam.

To establish this production line of particles, all of the accelerator’s systems must be perfectly adjusted. The LHC is an extremely complex machine comprising thousands of subsystems and it takes weeks to adjust them all.

Last Wednesday, they started to collide the beams to be able to adjust the interaction points at the heart of the experiments. This step is carried out with so-called “pilot” beams, containing fewer than ten bunches and fewer protons than during the physics runs. These first collisions also allow the experiments to adjust their detectors.

In the coming days, the operators will continue to adjust and align the equipment. Once all of these steps are complete, they will be able to announce “stable beams”, the long-awaited signal for the start of the new data-taking season for the experiments.

CERN, Updates, May 15, 2017 - LHC: preparations for a new season of physics.

Pilot beams have been collided! The update also says they got the beams up to 6.5 TeV to test some subsystems out at power. Sounds like they are almost ready for the new season (their term for the round of experiments).

Next announcement should be stable beams and then the higher energy collisions can begin!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Physics at the LHC has kicked off for another season. Today, the Large Hadron Collider shifted up a gear, allowing the experiments to start taking data for the first time in 2017. Operations are starting gradually, with just a few proton bunches per beam. The operators who control the most powerful collider in the world will gradually increase the number of bunches circulating and will also reduce the size of the beams at the interaction points. In a few weeks’ time, over a billion collisions will be produced every second at the heart of the experiments.

CERN, Updates, May 22, 2017 - Kick-off for the 2017 LHC physics season.

They have restarted gathering data this year! A day late but that is typical for me! Sounds like they are taking what they learned from the previous season and are applying that knowledge to this one. They said they were going to do roughly the same number of collisions but in a shorter time span (they were shut down an extra month this year).

Looks like Facebook is the way to stay up-to-date on the LHC.

To find out more about physics at the LHC, you can watch our Facebook Live event tomorrow Wednesday 24 May at 4 pm CEST.

(same, has direct FB link)

new topics

top topics

join