It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Assault on History

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: aethertek

Me too. But what I'm really concerned about here is that they care so deeply about those idiotic statues that are BARELY history but are so callous about Trump literally defunding federal outlets to study and understand history. It just shows that "erasing history" was just a dog whistle for their partisanship and they had no real sympathy for the cause.

Use your own money. Do some good for somebody.

Simple.

I just wish they would relocate them in a pile somewhere at the edge of town with the statues and flags and throw away the keys.

History is what we believe anyway.

lol.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

‘Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.’
-George Santayana

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

it's nice that you are fully dependent on your government to survive. that gives them lots of power, and governments like power, so you are indeed a good subject. I prefer to have a choice over what my money goes to. So if a civil war battleground near me needed some private funding, I would be happy to send them a few bucks. I personally would be less likely to send money to a library since I don't go to them often at all.

See, you may not be ready to hear this, but not everyone thinks exactly like you do. And with this kind of option, those who do think like you and your tearful friend can put your efforts into funding things that interest you. And those who don't are free to put their money wherever they wish. So please spare me your outrageous hyperbole, it's weak.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Libraries are superfluous.

They wont be so superfluous if a Solar flare hit and your electronics are fried. They won't be so superfluous when we need to filter out the real news from fake 'historical discoveries' posted over the internet with the use of Photoshop.

You can clean your browsing history, but books will remain, if they remain.You can't scan an autograph of Babe Ruth and claim it's the real thing.

edit on 26-4-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
So please spare me your outrageous hyperbole, it's weak.

What hyperbole? I figure I was being quite restrained. Well, since you guys appear to be turning into a satellite state of Russia anyway, here's a word you might wish to embrace: некултурны

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Trump is just one guy in a long line of History-bashing politicians. In Denmark we have been closing libraries and burning books for the last 15 years and I see no reason to suppose that it's a unique phenomenon..

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

And people would be running to the nearest library and start burning books to keep warm cuz the electrics out.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

And people would be running to the nearest library and start burning books to keep warm cuz the electrics out.

Something that I like to call: "Pissing in yer boots to keep yer feet warm."

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

a reply to: SirHardHarry

That's a load of crap.

en.wikipedia.org...

Check out #3.

More cell phones than there are people.

And this has to do with what exactly? Cell phones come in many makes and models, and many of those older, cheaper ones do not have internet access. Data plans are expensive, as are smartphones. And I pads? Just how rich do you think the average person is?

Libraries are superfluous? The battle cry of low information meatheads, perhaps. But for the thinking, civilized world, they remain a necessity and a relevant part of modern life. One that barbarian meatheads like Trump, have zero use for because they can't profit from it, or it cuts into funding for things they could make profitable for themselves.

As for the title of the thread, I think a more correct theme would be Trump's assault on higher thinking, learning, and knowledge in general. But this should come as no surprise from the guy who roared how much he loved the unedjumukated during his campaign tour. My guess is, this is an attempt to create a larger pool of Trump voters by limiting people's public access to facts and reality.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Something that I like to call: "Pissing in yer boots to keep yer feet warm."

Sonething I saw like in the Day After Tomorrow.

Remember that movie?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
My guess is, this is an attempt to create a larger pool of Trump voters by limiting people's public access to facts and reality.

There's always the Dunning-Kruger effect to consider...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Highly unlikely, when there are far more numerous other sources of combustible material available. Books, on the other hand, can contain useful information for getting through such situations. Technical manuals, survival manuals, how to guides, gardening and cooking books, science and chemistry books, nature and weather, ect.

About the only people burning books to keep warm are those too dumb to read them or realize the critical information to be gleaned. And they usually die out pretty quick.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Actually it's very likely.

Since the majority of goods made today are made specifically NOT to burn.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Really? Wood doesn't burn? Paper trash doesn't burn? Gasoline doesn't burn? Cardboard doesn't burn? Lighter fluid, charcoal, dry grass, parrafin, candle wax, kerosene, oil, dry weeds and scrub, junk mail, ect ect ect.... I could go on and on. None of these things burn?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I swear you make threads and then go on different accounts and reply to yourself.

You think history can only be preserved in a physical location. Not on, you know, the internet. Pictures will last a hell of alot longer than a plastic mannequin with a bad paint job.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

My grandmother is native and has lived in the bush her entire life, never learned how to read or write. But she's still alive. Weird.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhyDidIJoin

I swear you make threads and then go on different accounts and reply to yourself.

Wow... What a way to start a conversation... Well believe what you want.

You think history can only be preserved in a physical location. Not on, you know, the internet. Pictures will last a hell of alot longer than a plastic mannequin with a bad paint job.

That isn't history. That is just a reproduction that is allowed because we have physical evidence backing up the text online. Do you know what a primary, secondary, and tertiary source is? Also do you know why they are important?

Also, the internet isn't trustworthy. It is beyond dumb to suggest that history can solely be preserved on the internet.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhyDidIJoin

My grandmother is native and has lived in the bush her entire life, never learned how to read or write. But she's still alive. Weird.

I'd suggest that hers are the skills that others would need to learn to survive an apocalyptic scenario. And they'd need to get them from books. Kudos to your grandmother for knowing the land...most of us have lost that.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Since the majority of goods made today are made specifically NOT to burn.

Meanwhile, ALL of nature that exists on land is still combustible in some manner.

PS: Weren't you going to post a bunch of evidence in this thread showing why I should be embarrassed about having wrote it?
edit on 26-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Did that one page one.

Ignore it ?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Want me to do it again ?

The largest share of museum operating revenue (38 percent) comes from donors in the private sector

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join