It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Assault on History

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I am against almost all Government spending.

However, some money should be available.

This isn't an art display.

It's History...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Got any evidence to assure me that EVERY library and museum will stay open without this funding? Your words mean nothing to me.

It'a a lot like when some pickle smoker tells me that "NOBODY is going to be removing any historical monuments" or some such garbage. I know that guy doesn't know jack #, but he still spews his garbage, apparently to make himself feel smarter.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Only in a mind dependent on the government does defunding equal an attack. There is nothing stopping anyone from funding libraries themselves.
Right! I say let the ones who want funding reach into their own pockets.... right after the Fed reached into them to pay the interest on the trillion dollar government debt.....

there is all sorts of # that is funded with my tax dollars that i do not agree with.....too bad we cant all pick and choose what we fund huh

i cant believe so many people are either for this or dont care one way or the other.

museums and libraries man.....i dont get how keeping them around is a bad thing

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Only in a mind dependent on the government does defunding equal an attack. There is nothing stopping anyone from funding libraries themselves.
Right! I say let the ones who want funding reach into their own pockets.... right after the Fed reached into them to pay the interest on the trillion dollar government debt.....

there is all sorts of # that is funded with my tax dollars that i do not agree with.....too bad we cant all pick and choose what we fund huh

i cant believe so many people are either for this or dont care one way or the other.

I felt the same way until i realized there is other government agencies that do the same thing. They provide grant money to individuals or groups. It is in place just to hand out money for example looking through their financials you see they have a program called museums for all. This is set up so they pay museums to offer discounts to children on the admission price. Lets face it museums will do that anyway. The other is to fund an out of school arts program. They give money for kids to do an art project for the community. Heres other programs that do the same things

Catalogue of Federal Domestic Assistance

www.cfda.gov...

Institute of Museum and Library Services

www.imls.gov...

National Endowment for the Arts

www.nea.gov...

National Endowment for the Humanities

www.neh.gov...

National Historical Publications and Records Commission

www.archives.gov...

National Science Foundation Informal Science Program

www.nsf.gov...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It's a shame you can't grasp this. Nobody is taking them away, the GOVERNMENT is reducing it's funding for these things. Which means,they will have to increase their public fund raising efforts in order to stay around.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Quit saying that we can't grasp it. We understand your point completely. What we are worried about is a few libraries and museums disappearing. Nobody has ever proved that that won't happen here.

edit on 4/25/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

It's a shame you can't grasp this. Nobody is taking them away, the GOVERNMENT is reducing it's funding for these things. Which means,they will have to increase their public fund raising efforts in order to stay around.

i grasp it and it sucks
the fact the gov is reducing funding for these is terrible

it is equally terrible that people just dont care.

who needs libraries when you have google
who needs libraries...its the digital age

just a #ty way of thinking...

let a #ing statue get moved or taken down and the # hits the fan...erasing history...libtards...the usual
reduce funding and 'potentially' lose libraries and museums....meh....who needs em

what a joke

who needs to read a book or books on a historical subject or figure when you can just read the wikipedia article on it

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Quit saying that we can't grasp it. We understand your point completely. What we are worried about is a few libraries and museums disappearing. Nobody has ever proved that that won't happen here.

With other government funds available i think local libraries will be ok. This agency isnt a major funder of museums so no change there. What this means is if people want a local library either the state or the community will pick up the cost. As i stated earlier they closed a local branch near me however the main library is within 10 miles of me. The state did this because in my city they actually had to many libraries and removed 4 yet everyone is still within 10 miles of a library.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

So you want more and bigger government? That's what the big picture is. By cutting funding on some things that should be funded privately, the government is reducing it's needs, thus reducing it's size. I'm all for that. If people will give money to a stranger on Go-fund-me for a canoe trip, it's also likely those same folks would help fund a public entity like the Library. It's a shame you don't investigate that before you get angry about what might happen.

And if a few libraries cannot get enough funding from the local community, then it's easy to see there just isn't a desire for such things. Again, personal responsibility.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

let a #ing statue get moved or taken down and the # hits the fan...erasing history...libtards...the usual
reduce funding and 'potentially' lose libraries and museums....meh....who needs em

what a joke

who needs to read a book or books on a historical subject or figure when you can just read the wikipedia article on it

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, it's only a few people like myself and about two others who actually care about the monuments, the rest, like you, don't seem to give a rats ass.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So you're okay with tearing down statues of historical relevance, which I would associated with book burning. . . yet you get upset over funding cuts to libraries.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Have you complained about government spending so much on military? And cutting funding to libraries and museums is the same as cutting funds to education. Besides it isn't that "big".

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

who needs monuments when you have google images

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

So you want more and bigger government? That's what the big picture is. By cutting funding on some things that should be funded privately, the government is reducing it's needs, thus reducing it's size. I'm all for that. If people will give money to a stranger on Go-fund-me for a canoe trip, it's also likely those same folks would help fund a public entity like the Library. It's a shame you don't investigate that before you get angry about what might happen.

And if a few libraries cannot get enough funding from the local community, then it's easy to see there just isn't a desire for such things. Again, personal responsibility.

You know that you are advocating for the dumbing-down of America. It's alarming to see you do so in such a blithe manner but it really explains much. Those who are indifferent to education and culture assume everybody else should be too.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There wont be any services removed. Look at the budget and the donations they make to most libraries the funding will be the state. Their budget will determine if they stay open.

edit on 4/25/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

You know that you are advocating for the dumbing-down of America. It's alarming to see you do so in such a blithe manner but it really explains much. Those who are indifferent to education and culture assume everybody else should be too.

seriously? By advocating for less government and more local funding for local entities, I am "dumbing-down America"?

that was an ignorant comment even from you.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I hope you know that the funding going to this department is a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other things government funds and could due to cut. Military funding is STILL the world's largest by the order of multiple magnitudes, but Trump assures the military is falling apart and needs more funding.

In any case, I value education and history FAR more than a tool to wage war. The former is beneficial to society and the latter just makes the elites a lot of money while making everyone else #ing miserable.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

And frankly maybe a few museums could close, particularly the more fringe ones that are government funded.

There's silly government funded museums everywhere. Now, lots (most, probably) of museums are legit, history-based facilities that deserve government (state, city...) funding. Some don't. I don't think government funds should keep the lights on at the dildo museum. I'm being facetious, but you get the point. Not all museums are equal.

And anyone asking for proof that "not even 1 museum or library" close is being silly. Give me proof that one will...And if it does, what detrimental effect will it have?

Nobody is attacking history. This is about prioritizing federal funding. Museums and libraries should be state or locally funded.

Bunch of fear mongers in here...the sky is falling, the sky is falling. Waaah.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

seriously? By advocating for less government and more local funding for local entities, I am "dumbing-down America"?
that was an ignorant comment even from you.

No.
Ignorance is finding excuses to cut funding for cultural and educational institutions. It is promotion of a downward spiral that will hurt America. It is letting facts become subservient to opinion and ideology. And it is providing the rest of the developed world with the means to intellectually overpower you. (In fact, I seem to recall a day when the U.S. was not reduced to hitch-hiking into space, for instance)
If this issue really matters to you, I suggest that you take a look at just what libraries and museums contribute to communities. But if it is just another flexing of a right-wing disposition...then never mind. No sense wasting both our time.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Dude I love that vitruvian man pic
Awesome

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join