It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Assault on History

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Hey Captain Capslock, I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I haven't had any threads closed down.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Hyperbole much?

Anti-Trumpism is a mental disorder. You people are obsessed. It's unhealthy and frankly a little disturbing.

Need to get a life, seriously.

What about the things I have said is an exaggeration that would necessitate it being hyperbole? Everything I'm reporting on is true. Trump IS trying to defund this federal department and it DOES over see all those libraries and museums. So where does the hyperbole come from? Or are you just throwing out random fallacies that you don't fully understand the meaning of for cheap stars?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Idiotic ?

Statues of men that stood up to federalism is idiotic ?

A reminder that no one gets to leave the United States of Mafios isn't idiotic.

A reminder of a time when brother fought against brother, isn't idiotic.

A reminder of a time when this nation torn itself a part and still hasn't healed it's wounds isn't idiotic.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
So moral of the story is liberals feelings are hurt over funding being cut to unnecessary programs to continue to try and balance our severely mismanaged budget that was handed over from the Obama admin.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It's about time someone declared War on History. No where in the Constitution does it specify that people have the right to know about History, so obviously it's up to the Government to tell you what you need to know. History has weapons of mass destruction, it has terrorism, it has genocide, and it has racism. Everyone who has ever studied History is now dead. Coincidence? I don't think so! Now is the time to nuke History back to the Stone Age before History gets even bigger.

My only question is, if the War on History is successful, who is going to write about it? Certainly not the victors. Will we ever know that History existed?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
So moral of the story is liberals feelings are hurt over funding being cut to unnecessary programs to continue to try and balance our severely mismanaged budget that was handed over from the Obama admin.

I thought they were suppose to teach history at schools,colleges and universities.

After all we spend BILLIONS on so called edumacation.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
History has always been altered and hidden since the beginning of time, and history tends to repeat itself.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0tNow I point out time and again that these issues are a case of removing idolatry and not history. REAL history is studied and understood in museums and libraries.

No, that's institutionalized history--the type of history that can be spun and molded to for a historical picture that may or may not reflect reality in its totality.

Historical statues, street names, marker, references, etc., that exists outside of the institutionalized places you mention are the things that drive real historical research, not some teachers telling you what you have to research just to write a paper about a subject that you can forget about later because it's generally not put into any historical context that actually matters.

So what is Trump doing now? He's trying to eliminate ALL federal funding for the Institute of Museums and Library Services.

Donald Trump is literally attacking history.

Full disclosure: I wrote my response above before even reading this paragraph, and I'm glad that I did, because it reinforces what I'm about to say--federal funding of museums and libraries (other than federal museums and libraries) is not a necessary role of the federal government, and therefore should be cut.

$230-Million dollars is cited in your linked op-ed piece--in a nation of nearly 320-Million people. If even 1/5 of our citizenry were willing to donate $5/year (and I guarantee more would be willing to donate even more than that), we would exceed in private donations what the federal government was providing. It can be funded privately, hence my aversion to supporting the federal funding.

REAL history here. Not partially remembered history displayed on an old, oxidizing statue. Libraries are where students go to study history and museums are where the history professionals go to further develop our understanding of it. Removing federal funding for those services is textbook erasing history.

No, it's not, as noted above.

And from what I've seen in my area's libraries lately, it's not the non-fiction, historical books being checked out, but video games, movies, and teens using the computers to access the internet for social-media purposes. I think that your view that people flock to the libraries to learn about history is a flawed foundation on which to base your support for federal funding.

What's one or two measly statues compared to 123,000 libraries or 35,000 museums? History should NEVER be a line item on a budget and Trump's treatment of it here is just awful.

So, if you are someone who likes to get upset over Liberals removing Confederate iconography, where is your outrage over losing a SIGNIFICANT chunk of history just because the Donald doesn't think we should pay for it anymore?

You're making a false-equivalency logical fallacy, here, as the two are not the same. Show me where a lack of federal funding (that can easily be replaced with voluntary donations in a dramatic portion of those areas affected) will cause the loss of these books. I mean, if the funding is cut, will all of the libraries and museums fire up the wood chippers, fire pits, and shredders?

I think we both know the answer to that question.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

I thought they were suppose to teach history at schools,colleges and universities.

After all we spend BILLIONS on so called edumacation.

I heard they switched it up to teach how to protest all conservative values.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Sure does.

A museum after all is nothing more than a collection created from grave robbing historical sites around the globe, and should be kept operating by robbing us blind to keep their doors open.
edit on 24-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Hyperbole much?

Anti-Trumpism is a mental disorder. You people are obsessed. It's unhealthy and frankly a little disturbing.

Need to get a life, seriously.

One does not speak ill of Dear Leader.

Not everyone is a fervent Trump supporter. Has nothing to do with being obsessed. I'm curious though - I wonder if you apply the same consistency of logic to "anti-Obama's," or "anti-Hillary's."

Not everyone bends over backward to the current POTUS and not everyone believes that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Get over it. If people not vehemently supporting the current POTUS upsets you, go move to North Korea where people are killed for making jokes about Dear Leader.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ah I think this is funding for some library and museum services, it isn't actually closing down libraries and museums...

From the wapo OP article,

supporting educational and cultural activities for people

It finances programs at 123,000 libraries and 35,000 museums.

Since its inception 20 years ago,

www.washingtonpost.com...

Which means it's only been around since 1997. Finances programs at libraries not the actual library, I think is what that means. And the figures show that. 230 million is not much certainly not enough for 123,000 libraries and 35,000 museums. That works out to $1455 each.

Oh no educational and cultural activities at public libraries no longer federally funded, the horror...

On the otherhand it will only save 230 million, but hey with US debt at record levels it all adds up and you gotta cut stuff or go bankrupt like greece, then you won't be funding much at all...

So Trump's assault on history is it? OKay... not fake news at all...
edit on 24-4-2017 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
History has always been altered and hidden since the beginning of time, and history tends to repeat itself.

If history has been altered and hidden, how would we know if it repeats itself?

LololOl you guys literally make no sense.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

ever heard of "war"?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It's the digital age.

Libraries are superfluous.

If you've actually visited any of the many libraries in both urban and rural areas you'd know that statement is a bunch of ignorant BS. While some libraries do not have the number of visitors as others, many of them are always busy with people getting books, magazines, and accessing the internet.

While the digital age is in fact upon on, libraries not only house books (which takes time to digitize simply because of the sheer volume), but also the means to access information in the digital age (computers/internet), which many people in both urban and rural places aren't able to do at their own homes or apartments.

Libraries give people access to information where they otherwise don't have it, and it's FREE.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

Hardly.

It comes down to convenience.

People don't have to go anywhere.

And they can access what ever information they want from a smart phone,tablet or pc.

In the process saving trees in return 'saves' the planet.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
It's the digital age.
Libraries are superfluous.

Well, that statement certainly explains much!

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

If history has been altered and hidden, how would we know if it repeats itself?

LololOl you guys literally make no sense.

If you don't understand what I said because you are unable to read between the lines.. well that's your problem, not mine.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

People don't have to go anywhere.

And they can access what ever information they want from a smart phone,tablet or pc.

Do you not read well?

Not everything has been digitized; not everyone has a smart phone, tablet, or internet access from home.

Libraries provide those services.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

That's a load of crap.

en.wikipedia.org...

Check out #3.

More cell phones than there are people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join