It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Assault on History

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Ok so time and again I see threads from right leaning members crying about some town or state removing a reference to the Confederacy from their area. Be it the Confederate flag, a statue of a Confederate soldier/officer, or a street named after one. The argument goes that this is "erasing" history. Now I point out time and again that these issues are a case of removing idolatry and not history. REAL history is studied and understood in museums and libraries.

Ok, now say what you want about the above paragraph, this thread isn't about those small issues. I just brought them up to show some possible brewing hypocrisy. I'm going to point out an issue that Trump is doing where these people outraged over Confederate idols being removed have a chance to put their money where their mouth is. So what is Trump doing now? He's trying to eliminate ALL federal funding for the Institute of Museums and Library Services.

Donald Trump is literally attacking history. REAL history here. Not partially remembered history displayed on an old, oxidizing statue. Libraries are where students go to study history and museums are where the history professionals go to further develop our understanding of it. Removing federal funding for those services is textbook erasing history.

Support grows for small agency with big reach on Trump’s budget death row

If President Trump gets his way, the institute, along with 18 other agencies, will be eliminated. It finances programs at 123,000 libraries and 35,000 museums.

What's one or two measly statues compared to 123,000 libraries or 35,000 museums? History should NEVER be a line item on a budget and Trump's treatment of it here is just awful.

So, if you are someone who likes to get upset over Liberals removing Confederate iconography, where is your outrage over losing a SIGNIFICANT chunk of history just because the Donald doesn't think we should pay for it anymore?
edit on 24-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yeea butt that be al that pinko commie fascist liberal book larning that be that indocknoration stuff my preecher dun tol me bout.

Wes get ars historee from granpappy.
We don't need no fancy book learning.

K~

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

I know. Right? If the history isn't learned on a fading statue, then it isn't history worth learning.

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It's the digital age.

Libraries are superfluous.

And what a bunch of alarmist crap from a fashion magazine.

Sure didn't goto a libray to read that snip.

NEONE?
edit on 24-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

when Trump orders these places torn down or moved, it might be a big deal. But as of now, he's defunding something that should have been privately funded to begin with. Government needs to be smaller and cost much less.

It's important to be intelligent enough to understand the argument.
edit on 24-4-2017 by network dude because: bad spler

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Defunding libraries and museums at the federal level says nothing of their state and local funding, nor does it count as an "attack on history" in any intelligible manner.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You can't store old dinosaur bones on the internet, Neo. You can't store old documents requiring special care on the internet, Neo. You can't store original copies of ancient books on the internet, Neo. You can't store old artifacts that need to be studies to understand the culture they come from on the internet, Neo. Etc.

PS: You can disparage Cosmopolitan all day, but it doesn't change the fact that what they are reporting on is true. Did you miss the WaPo article I also linked?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

when Trump orders these placed torn down or moved, it might be a big deal. But as of now, he's defunding something that should have been privately funded to begin with. Government needs to be smaller and cost much less.

What do you think will happen to these building with no funding? Libraries are already on life support as it is thanks to the internet.

+2 more 
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: neo96

You can't store old dinosaur bones on the internet, Neo. You can't store old documents requiring special care on the internet, Neo. You can't store original copies of ancient books on the internet, Neo. You can't store old artifacts that need to be studies to understand the culture they come from on the internet, Neo. Etc.

PS: You can disparage Cosmopolitan all day, but it doesn't change the fact that what they are reporting on is true. Did you miss the WaPo article I also linked?

storing idols? what silliness is that?

+8 more 
link   

The majority of people don't go to museums.

So that so called point is moot.

And for the record the one percent spend BILLIONS per year donating to them.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: network dude

when Trump orders these placed torn down or moved, it might be a big deal. But as of now, he's defunding something that should have been privately funded to begin with. Government needs to be smaller and cost much less.

What do you think will happen to these building with no funding? Libraries are already on life support as it is thanks to the internet.

anything worth saving can be funded by those who wish to keep it alive. We aren't talking about moving or removing existing structures here, just not funding them with federal money. A local entity should be funded locally.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The majority of people don't go to museums.

So that so called point is moot.

Who cares about what the majority does? This is about preserving history so that it can be studied. Something that the right bitches about whenever a Confederate flag is removed from a state building. Where is your concern for threats to ACTUAL history?

And for the record the one percent spend BILLIONS per year donating to them.

How about for the record, you post evidence of your claims?

edit on 24-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Libraries are where students go to study history and museums are where the history professionals go to further develop our understanding of it.

Government will give you all the information necessary to successfully participate in their system, there will be no need for such institutions of human records - we have google now!!

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

They're just POd that their BS about "states rights" is finally called for what it's always been.

A blatant dog whistle for anti-American beliefs & ideals.

These statues celebrating their humiliating defeat never should have been allowed but I guess their fragile egos needed the reinforcement.
Since when do losers get to erect monuments to their treason in the country they committed treason against.

Glad they're coming down & hopefully as a side benefit some will be so incensed they stroke out over it.

K~

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude
I see what you are attempting to do but you are failing because you are stretching the definition of "idol" so you can try to make me look like a hypocrite in the other thread. Though you aren't doing anything to help your own argument in that thread by doing this, PLUS you are making yourself look like a hypocrite by not caring about this attack on history but not your pet cause of maintaining public Confederate iconography.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
NOT THIS BS AGAIN,

DUDE, YOU ALREADY HAVE 2 THREADS CLOSED BECAUSE OF THIS RIDICULOUS TOPIC.

HISTORY IS HISTORY REGARDLESS OF HOW IT HAS BEEN PRESENTED. IF IT INSPIRES OTHERS TO DO SOME RESEARCH AND LEARN SOMETHING NEW, THEN THAT SHOULD BE WELCOMED. BE IT BUDHHA OR NERO, GOOD OR BAD, THE WANTING TO LEARN ISN'T SOMETHING TO SHAME OTHERS OF.
edit on Mon Apr 24 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

How about for the record, you post evidence of your claims?

The largest share of museum operating revenue (38 percent) comes from donors in the private sector

photos.state.gov...

link   

edit on 24-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: aethertek

Me too. But what I'm really concerned about here is that they care so deeply about those idiotic statues that are BARELY history but are so callous about Trump literally defunding federal outlets to study and understand history. It just shows that "erasing history" was just a dog whistle for their partisanship and they had no real sympathy for the cause.

+2 more 
link   
Hyperbole much?

Anti-Trumpism is a mental disorder. You people are obsessed. It's unhealthy and frankly a little disturbing.

Need to get a life, seriously.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join