It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erasing history to ease hurt feelings.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: network dude

Removing statues is NOT erasing history. The history is still there. You can still study it. You can still go view the memorabilia. It just isn't in your face anymore as as a statue. You right wing cry babies make it sound like if these things are gone then it will be physically impossible to study the Confederacy anymore.

ETA: And come to think of it if your view of history starts and ends with monuments, road names and flags then that isn't history anyways. That is idolatry.

Well, they aren't erasing history itself, just one of the highways that lead to it.

Over the years, I'm sure plenty of people, of all ages, would see the statue and ask their parent(s), or look up for themselves, "What is that statue there for?"

I can imagine a child asking their parent about it, and going to look at it together, and that could spark off a journey into historical knowledge and all the important lessons and eternal wisdom it has to teach us.

Now this pathway to historical curiosity and discussion, and childlike wonder, is shut down, forever.

They should just replace it with a replica of that Nikki Minaj wax sculpture that had to be moved because people kept "humping" it...

Right wing crybabies? I didn't know you had to have a political affiliation to be opposed to the removal or destruction of historical structures, monuments and/or other items/documents of historical importance. Oh well, Id rather be associated with the right wingers, whatever that is, rather than be compared or remembered as being similar in some beliefs/actions/principles with the likes of ISIS! (you know, because they also are known to have a hankering for destroying historical structures or monuments that THEY don't agree with)...
edit on 4/26/2017 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Do you know what are they putting in its place? If they are putting something else equally historically significant then you have no room to complain as the structure would still function with the same purpose. Just the history lesson would be different.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Yes, back when the flag flap was all the rage, I mentioned it then. But I was assured by the SJW brigade that NOBODY was banning the flag, or erasing history, they just didn't like it and didn't want to see it, so enough crybabies emerged and had it removed from government buildings. And like most things, you give them an inch, and they will take two, then two more, then a mile.

Alexandria is moving this monument and renaming the highway to do their best to appease the tearful folks who can't handle history. What was this horrid statue for? It was a memorial to fallen soldiers. But I suppose is you don't like the conflict, to hell with those who faught, just spit on them and be on your way.

Now we have this:
www.wral.com...

NEW ORLEANS — Workers in New Orleans removed the first of four prominent Confederate monuments Monday morning, making the city the latest Southern institution to sever itself from symbols viewed by many as a representation of racism and white supremacy.

So just remember, if you don't like something, close your eyes, and it will go away, if it's still there when you open them, just cry a bit, and others will remove it for you. History be DAMNED!!!

I see your point, but take Germany. Should they leave Nazi statues and monuments up even though its to memorialize fallen soldiers? Or should they take them down? This is the same as that. Yes? No?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: 3n19m470

Do you know what are they putting in its place? If they are putting something else equally historically significant then you have no room to complain as the structure would still function with the same purpose. Just the history lesson would be different.

what are they putting up in it's place? ( both examples I gave in the OP)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: network dude
Yes, back when the flag flap was all the rage, I mentioned it then. But I was assured by the SJW brigade that NOBODY was banning the flag, or erasing history, they just didn't like it and didn't want to see it, so enough crybabies emerged and had it removed from government buildings. And like most things, you give them an inch, and they will take two, then two more, then a mile.

Alexandria is moving this monument and renaming the highway to do their best to appease the tearful folks who can't handle history. What was this horrid statue for? It was a memorial to fallen soldiers. But I suppose is you don't like the conflict, to hell with those who faught, just spit on them and be on your way.

Now we have this:
www.wral.com...

NEW ORLEANS — Workers in New Orleans removed the first of four prominent Confederate monuments Monday morning, making the city the latest Southern institution to sever itself from symbols viewed by many as a representation of racism and white supremacy.

So just remember, if you don't like something, close your eyes, and it will go away, if it's still there when you open them, just cry a bit, and others will remove it for you. History be DAMNED!!!

I see your point, but take Germany. Should they leave Nazi statues and monuments up even though its to memorialize fallen soldiers? Or should they take them down? This is the same as that. Yes? No?

Would the removal of such a statue change any of the events of the past?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Didn't read any of this, but...

SUPPORTING THE LOSING SIDE OF A CIVIL WAR IS TREASON.

Line up in front of the firing squad if you're so proud of your rebel ways. Be a man.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join