It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erasing history to ease hurt feelings.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Thank you.😉

I am a southern girl myself, and you're right...the genteel southern culture has been all but erased. There have been so many negative associations made with it that people just prefer to divorce themselves from its vestiges entirely, and that is very sad. I'm a Texan but was born in Mississippi, and numerous times in my life, I've gotten this sort of sympathetic look from people when I tell them where I'm originally from. It doesn't take a genius to understand that the reason for that is the negative association with slavery, racism and backward thinking in general.

That has always made me feel sad, because my home state is beautiful. And the vast majority of its inhabitants are not racist in the least, despite what outsiders might choose to believe. And there is a shame attached to things like the Dixie flag and civil war monuments because of that association with the subjugation and reprehensible treatment of other human beings...the entire culture of that time period cannot seem to rise above the muck of the past surrounding it.

We need to learn to embrace our past failures just as much as our successes, because they are meant to teach us how not to conduct ourselves in the present. And how we are conducting ourselves in the present has everything to do with our future as a nation. It is incomprehensible to me that here we are, in 2017, still refusing to own up to what we have done and/or pointing fingers, blaming those alive today for things that their ancestors did before they themselves were ever in existence, by other people who didn't exist back then either. We can build vast structures and perform brain surgery and launch people into space...yet we can't sit down together, hash out and put to rest something that happened centuries ago. It would almost be comical if it were not so utterly pathetic.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The Union Died already when he broke the COnstitution to Attack the south. They were allowwed by the constitution before the war to Seceed if they wanted to. As i said money and control was the only reason.

This is why history class is so important... The South started the Civil War in Fort Sumter, SC.

If the south would had been allowwed to trade with britain and france the North would had lost billions and they needed the cash for growth.

The framers even suggested that if the nation wanted to split they could if they wished. All that was needed was a vote on it. That lincoln refused to let happen.

The Union was dead and has been dead ever since that Traitor did what he did. A forced Union is not what the framers wanted.

More history revisionism. There was never any vote to leave the Union. The south just started leaving, starting with SC, upon Lincoln's election.

See. This is why it is important to get your history from places OTHER than statues. You make it seem like the Confederacy were just a bunch of states who got a bad rap. Psh. Yeah right! Lincoln and the Union may have done some questionable acts during the Civil War and I will be one of the first to admit that Abe didn't run on freeing the slaves and only did so as an opportunity to gain an advantage in the Civil War, but the Confederate states got what they deserved. You sound like all the crazies I used to know when I lived in Mississippi who'd tell me that the South would rise again just because.

Though I do have to hand it that state. The South's insane and continual fascination with that war gave me a lot of historical exposure to Civil War topics.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I dont know anything about Civil WAr/Southern USA history, but I'm pretty sure that removing statues and other monuments because you find them offensive is a slippery slope. For instance, Dachau is evidence of a shameful period of German history, but hardly any German now was even a teenager at that time. Most Germans could rightly say that it is nothing to do with them and the association with them is offensive. So why not knock it down-you can read about it in books after all? Why not knock down the pyramids or great wall of China, as both were built with slave labour? Hadrians wall could be offensive to the Scots, so should we demolish it?

The answer must be that just like people, any society is a product of its highs and lows, and you should acknowledge both, rather than brushing the bad under the carpet. History in a book is easy to forget-history in the street is a little bit harder to ignore.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No the NORTh started the agression with its Predatory practicies like OVER TAXATION. The first SHOTS LITERALLY were fort sumter though I am not saying that didnt happen.

I took US history and Know the official government story. The US did the same to Japan and made it strike back at them to justify a war.

Point is the Union as the framers saw it died under Lincoln. I am glad he was shot dead. Yes he did something good with slavery,but still was a traitor to do it. And BTW Slavery was on the way out due to the invention of the cotton gin WHICH if the NORTH would had tried could had traded the Farmers to stop slavery.

Yes we all know you love lincoln. So many people are snowed by the official story its scary.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I mentioned on ats once in a thread that certain books should be burned and erased and certain history should be erased and forgot but how to do that with the internet still telling the stories??

There are people today who hang on to stuff that happened 100's & 1000's years ago/// they see it in history books, so if you take these away from the kids today and erased their parents minds of the history, then the kids wouldn't grow up with hate in their heart!

Even recent times have caused problems for people though, it would be difficult..

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
History of The United States of America 2018

Columbus discovered America and killed mostly everyone, he was a racist.
Then the founding fathers created America and killed mostly everyone, they were racists.
Then the Civil War happened because racists.
Then Obama was president.

But then he wasn't because racists.

Now everyone collect your trophy and tear down anything that offends you.

Book burnings will commence on Friday.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
How exactly should Lincoln have fought the Civil War to maintain the Union as a whole, Captain Hindsight?

Since "maintaining the Union" directly violated the 10th Amendment the moment South Carolina chose secession and the US government denied them the right, Lincoln shouldn't have fought the war in any manner.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
wish we could erase ALL sjw...

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jiggly

Starbucks would go under as well as the maker of skinny jeans and ironic eyewear.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I really think they're making a mistake by removing that statue. Like you said, you can't erase the past.

That thing should stand as a monument to the evils that humans can get up to.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

How exactly should Lincoln have fought the Civil War to maintain the Union as a whole, Captain Hindsight?

Since "maintaining the Union" directly violated the 10th Amendment the moment South Carolina chose secession and the US government denied them the right, Lincoln shouldn't have fought the war in any manner.

A FREAKING MEN. Thank you for the concise statement.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
History of The United States of America 2018

Columbus discovered America and killed mostly everyone, he was a racist.
Then the founding fathers created America and killed mostly everyone, they were racists.
Then the Civil War happened because racists.
Then Obama was president.

But then he wasn't because racists.

Now everyone collect your trophy and tear down anything that offends you.

Book burnings will commence on Friday.

Columbus was a total maniac and brutal monster. We have records of his brutality from his own men that attest to that. Plus he didn't actually discover America.

I think the issue comes in what way these symbols and statues are presented. It's one thing when seen as a memorial about some events in History and another when it's celebrating someone who shouldn't be celebrated. If it's a town that was founded by a tyrant or something then I don't see the reason to celebrate the man or make an idol of him. There are other ways to account for the founding of a town than the guy who did it.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jiggly

SJW's can get out of hand, I agree.

But now you're the one talking about erasing people you don't agree with.

So you can see just how easily people jump on the bandwagon of erasing those they don't agree with.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Maybe they can replace all the statues with a plaques that say, "nothing important happened here today or any other day"

I can't wait till they start writing books only the High Priests, I mean, teacher class can read.

Knowledge is power. Why do these people want to make themselves stupid.

It really sounds like these people have real bad guilt feelings about something, doesn't it?

Don't cry for me Argentina, I'm good.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

u gunna cry about it bro?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Well clearly that doesn't matter to anyone because you guys are just merely complaining about it 150 years after the war ended with the South losing. If you cared so deeply about it, go leave the country. Clearly this isn't the US you learned about reading about in school anymore right?

Me. I happened to have learned in my civics class that the Constitution is a living document and is open to the interpretation of the day. I like the way things turned out anyways. We are stronger united than divided. Hyperbole from the previous paragraph aside, do you honestly have a problem with it? Would you prefer the South were a separate country right now? Slavery included (because we all know they wouldn't have gotten rid of it if they won).

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Point is the Union as the framers saw it died under Lincoln. I am glad he was shot dead. Yes he did something good with slavery,but still was a traitor to do it. And BTW Slavery was on the way out due to the invention of the cotton gin WHICH if the NORTH would had tried could had traded the Farmers to stop slavery.

Your history is skewed. Slavery was on its way out until the cotton gin was invented. Slavery was just not economical but then Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin and refined the process. This reinvigorated slavery throughout the South. Sure in the meantime the international slavery trade was closed down, but Slavery was THRIVING up until the Civil War in this country. Don't pretend otherwise.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

All you have written here is very, very true. It is pathetic and it is truly sad.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Well clearly that doesn't matter to anyone because you guys are just merely complaining about it 150 years after the war ended with the South losing. If you cared so deeply about it, go leave the country. Clearly this isn't the US you learned about reading about in school anymore right?

Me. I happened to have learned in my civics class that the Constitution is a living document and is open to the interpretation of the day. I like the way things turned out anyways. We are stronger united than divided. Hyperbole from the previous paragraph aside, do you honestly have a problem with it? Would you prefer the South were a separate country right now? Slavery included (because we all know they wouldn't have gotten rid of it if they won).

WHy should we leave? were the true patriots of the US because our side didnt betray the constitution. At the time of the civil war the 10th was not a useless amemdment. And your civics class also taught about how even though it may be a living document its law as written have to be followed. And At the time Lincoln was in breach of it and should had been impeached.

The law is to be followwed BY THE LETTER not the"spirit" Its a literal document as in its meant to be word for word.
Only people who think its open to interpretation because they cant stand to live by the rules use your arguments.

And No slavery would not still exist if the south would had been able to win. they didnt want to run the entire country either. The international slave trade direcly effected the Southern slave population though. So eventually they would had all died out from the import ban and that would had ended that anyway. In short it would had died out literally.

The NORTH was the largest consumer of Cotton though and they had no problems with Southern slavery until they almost lost their cash cow to britain and france. Lincoln went to war to satisfy his lust for money,and power and his bankers. Not to free the slaves,but for money and power. what a traitor.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

WHy should we leave? were the true patriots of the US because our side didnt betray the constitution. At the time of the civil war the 10th was not a useless amemdment. And your civics class also taught about how even though it may be a living document its law as written have to be followed. And At the time Lincoln was in breach of it and should had been impeached.

Because you are the one whining about it. I like how the Civil War turned out. It made our country better overall.

The law is to be followwed BY THE LETTER not the"spirit" Its a literal document as in its meant to be word for word.
Only people who think its open to interpretation because they cant stand to live by the rules use your arguments.

Even the founding fathers were divided on if the Constitution should be followed by the letter or if it is open to interpretation. Don't try this nonsense argument with me. I know better.

And No slavery would not still exist if the south would had been able to win. they didnt want to run the entire country either. The international slave trade direcly effected the Southern slave population though. So eventually they would had all died out from the import ban and that would had ended that anyway. In short it would had died out literally.

Ah I see. The South wins and suddenly they grow a conscious and all slavery is ended forever! I'd like some of what you are smoking, by the way. Also, the slave trade didn't NEED the international slave trade to promote the continuance of slavery. Slavers in the states could just breed their slaves and sell them, and that is what they did. Or did you forget that black people can have children too?

The NORTH was the largest consumer of Cotton though and they had no problems with Southern slavery until they almost lost their cash cow to britain and france. Lincoln went to war to satisfy his lust for money,and power and his bankers. Not to free the slaves,but for money and power. what a traitor.

Uh huh...
Causes of the War

The presidential Election of 1860 brought these conflicts to a head with dramatic consequences. The Democratic Party split into three groups along regional lines, each vying for control of the party and each holding different ideas about how to deal with slavery in the West. These three camps lined up against Abraham Lincoln, the nominee of the Republican Party, who advocated that the West be free of slavery entirely. Because Lincoln’s opponents were so deeply divided, he won with less than forty percent of the popular vote (but with fifty-nine percent of the Electoral College) and without taking a single slave state. Although Lincoln’s election was fair, it nonetheless pushed the Deep South toward secession.

At first, a fragile peace prevailed. Many Americans, including citizens in the Upper South states that had not left the Union, tried to convince the seceded states to return. President James Buchanan declared secession unconstitutional, but did little else. When Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated on March 4, 1861, he gave a speech encouraging the South to return and promising that slavery would be protected where it already existed, but he refused to budge on his support of free soil ideas.

When Lincoln attempted to re-supply the Union troops stationed at Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, the stalemate collapsed. Lincoln had insisted that his government would not allow the Confederacy to take control of United States military forts in the South, which had begun to happen in many places. Lincoln was determined not to allow Fort Sumter to be taken, so he sent unarmed supply ships to the fort, giving Jefferson Davis advance notice of his actions. The Confederacy attacked the fort before the ships could arrive, opening fire on April 12, 1861. The Union troops inside held out for thirty-four hours, but finally surrendered on April 14 in the face of constant shelling. The next day, President Lincoln called out 75,000 militia men to put down the rebellion. War had begun.

Nice attempt at trying to sell me history revisionism though.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join