It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erasing history to ease hurt feelings.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

So everything you said there is a strawman about me.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: network dude

Removing statues is NOT erasing history. The history is still there. You can still study it. You can still go view the memorabilia. It just isn't in your face anymore as as a statue. You right wing cry babies make it sound like if these things are gone then it will be physically impossible to study the Confederacy anymore.

ETA: And come to think of it if your view of history starts and ends with monuments, road names and flags then that isn't history anyways. That is idolatry.
u
Wow...You couldnt be more wrong. What the hell happened to you to make you hate my country so much?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The problem with this type of thing is that in painting over and sanitising the past, people tend to forget the reasons. Misunderstanding history is why history repeats.

History is about celebrating the past. The good and the bad. Kicking over statues is not very intelligent.

Anyway, if it helps, even centres of education and learning seem incapable of handling the past. Here's Oxford University's silliness over Rhodes. Yes, Rhodes may have been a racist, but that was a long time ago when people were all racist - but not in the way we use the term today, because back then it was more about ignorance. Anyway, like him, or not, he helped create the Africa we have today, and that is both good and bad.

BBC report

... the university's chancellor Lord Patten said students with such views "should think about being educated elsewhere”.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: stelth2
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The whole reason the statues were removed was because some people didn't like it. Forget the history, just because some people think that it's racist; doesn't make it so. The right thing to do is to leave the statues where they are.

Again. A statue isn't history. It is idolatry. If it is offensive then remove it. The history isn't erased with no statue there.

Ever think maybe statues are there to remind us of history? So we don't forget and repeat it?

You are making a large assumption about the reason that statue was erected; furthermore, statues are more often than not erected to honor a historic figure. Not serve as a reminder of a past tragedy. USUALLY the reminders are known as memorials not statues.

Yea, like the one in Alexandria for the fallen soldiers, you know, the one that pissed off a couple of your buddies and now is being moved.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Really? Because you don't think maybe even ONE kid, might see that statue, and want more information about it and decide to actually read and learn?

Why is that not worth it?

Because that kid can do the same damn thing in a library or museum. Two things that Trump is currently working to defund, I'm now adding to this thread for the second time. It's so silly you guys get so up in arms about a statue but don't care about the ACTUAL assaults on places were history is actually studied.
edit on 24-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The whole reason the statues were removed was because some people didn't like it. Forget the history, just because some people think that it's racist; doesn't make it so. The right thing to do is to leave the statues where they are.

Again. A statue isn't history. It is idolatry. If it is offensive then remove it. The history isn't erased with no statue there.

Ever think maybe statues are there to remind us of history? So we don't forget and repeat it?

You are making a large assumption about the reason that statue was erected; furthermore, statues are more often than not erected to honor a historic figure. Not serve as a reminder of a past tragedy. USUALLY the reminders are known as memorials not statues.

Well there are many subjects and truths which were buried by kings, book burning's, etc and my opinion is that this is pretty much more of the same.

(post by Jefferton removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Well there are many subjects and truths which were buried by kings, book burning's, etc and my opinion is that this is pretty much more of the same.

But this subject ISN'T being buried. You are still able to research and study the Confederacy to your heart's content. There are PLENTY of resources out there to assist you with this.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Enough.

Stick to the topic of the thread and not each other!

Do not reply to this post.

(post by odinsway removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

But this subject ISN'T being buried. You are still able to research and study the Confederacy to your heart's content. There are PLENTY of resources out there to assist you with this.

OK, now I really need some clarification on this. If we can so easily just look up this uncomfortable history, then why in the hell is it so important to remove the visual aspect of it?

I'd really like an honest answer here.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Since none of you can seem to behave:

Thread closed.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Listen Up:

1) This thread is NOT in the Political Mud Pit forum. No political trolling allowed.

2) The topic of the thread is not about each other. Posting about each other is ALWAYS off topic.

3) Insults to each other are not welcome nor required for civilized discussion. If you find you can not make a post without attacking another member, consider not posting at all.

We (staff) do not like having to close threads, we would rather see discussion happening. However, if you can't follow the rules, you are forcing our hand.

After this though: instead of closing the thread, we'll just remove your posting rights.

Behave yourselves.

Do not reply to this post

Thread re-opened.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

OK, now I really need some clarification on this. If we can so easily just look up this uncomfortable history, then why in the hell is it so important to remove the visual aspect of it?

I'd really like an honest answer here.

Ok. I'll answer honestly. I don't care one way or the other if the statues are removed or stay. That is a decision that Alexandria, VA or New Orleans are 100% capable of making on their own. If they don't want to view those Confederate idols anymore, that is on them. I applaud them not wanting to idolize historical monsters anymore, but I'M not fighting their battle with them.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

but you justify it happening. What about removing MLK Blvd from all the cities where that road exists? After all, it's just idolatry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join