It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we need the second amendment?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Posted in the mud pit because this is random banter off the top of my head. I'd like to first say that I am pro gun rights, and against over regulation and bans.. That being said, what does this do for us now, anyways?

To defend against a tyrannical government or invading enemy?

How many rounds are you going to unload on a tank or take pointless shots at a plane or other military grade vehicle before realizing you're way over your head, how many shots are you going to take at a Missile before realizing its useless and you're going to be pancake batter before you can count to one if it's close enough to shoot at?

It seriously does not protect us against an enemy in war, nor against our own government in the case our government goes treasonous and turns the military against us ( assuming military cooperation)

We can talk about safety and protection, but honestly I've never seen the statistics showing that people in other countries are being robbed and killed at rates far higher than Americans because they don't sleep with a gun under their pillow...

Hunting is a legitimate argument still, and one that is allowed in some countries with otherwise strict gun laws...

Valid question, though - what is this amendment for now days?

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Foreign and Domestic. Understand that and you begin to understand the danger of standing armies, the militarization of civil authorities (the police), and the need to be as well armed to protect our liberties as a people.

The constitution is a piece of parchment, it hardly protects the people from wicked intent. The teeth behind the republic are 'arms'. Arms are fire arms to be kept and carried by the people to protect against the totalitarian state that would seek to enslave us all over again.

It is the only power the control freaks respect, the only means at our disposal and the reason it is the second amendment after free speech. Because once we lose free speech there are no other options. Since i see the ever growing police state teargassing, clubbing and squashing dissent, those choices are narrowing.

Also why they continued to focus on removing arms from the people, they intend to continue trying to dominate the whole world, they can't have us resisting them at home.
edit on 24-4-2017 by intrptr because: spelling, clarity.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
With all due respect, we do not need to justify it any more than it is clearly stated in the Constitution, and by the writings of our fore fathers.

edit on 24-4-2017 by Sconnie77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-4-2017 by Sconnie77 because: Bad grammar and spelling

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

So we are under the impression that our siblings, parents, community members could be weaponized against us?

Government tyranny is almost the rule, not the exception, use of force wouldn't even surprise me a little... But our own family and friends? That's paranoia, to me, but I guess I am not deeming it an invalid thought process.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sconnie77

Actually, you do.

There are those that desire to alter it or rid of it.

The constitution can be altered.

Without a solid defense, something can possibly be crushed like a bug in court.

For the record, I do not desire to alter it.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I never wanted a gun. Now that people Riot over and even for Trump, now I do. Both sides are aggressive and quick to profile anyone as they see fit and act with violence.

Nothing can stop tanks, but people really have to be acting out before the tanks come in, and police respondent isn't as immediate as personal defense.

If you think you need a gun to ride the bus or walk down the street outside of these ideas, that's a bit paranoid, but condonable for the same reasons as riots.
edit on 24-4-2017 by Mordekaiser because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Look no further than to what is happening in Venezuela as we speak...

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

So we are under the impression that our siblings, parents, community members could be weaponized against us?

Government tyranny is almost the rule, not the exception, use of force wouldn't even surprise me a little... But our own family and friends? That's paranoia, to me, but I guess I am not deeming it an invalid thought process.

I am starting to think that your preface about being pro gun wasn't exactly truthful. I saw nowhere where paranoia was involved in the intrptr's comment. Are you trying to bait an argument?
edit on 24-4-2017 by Sconnie77 because: Added a word

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
My opinion is that you have no idea what youre talking about, in regards to self defense, let alone self determination. Nor the idea of deterence. Nor do you understand the nature of government, nor the ravages of war. I cant find anything in your statement that makes any logical sense.

No offense, but you brought it out and im calling a spade a spade. I get it, you dont like guns. Youre not the first person Ive come across with that opinion. But its a naive opinion. Sure, it would be great if the world wasnt full of weapons, mayhem, evil, and conflict. Thats not reality though, and you dont get to decide for the rest of us that we cant defend ourselves the best we can with whats available. If you want to not be prepared, thats your business. I hope someday that you wont regret it, but you might.

In regards to the spirit of the constitution, I firmly believe that the citizenry was supposed to be entitled to the same arms that the policing forces had. It did not however apply to the military, which was barred from domestic operations. We know thats not how it turned out, but its a practical ideal of a free society.
edit on 24-4-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

We need it cuz its are god given right. This isn't France. We saw what happened to the French and I dont mean they ended up singing jerky tear songs. I mean they fell in the fight against tyranny.

Is that what you want to happen in the USA?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I don't know how you got our own family and friends out of what I said?

The police are their own fraternity, brotherhood, union , separate from us. The Guard and regular Military, even more so.

If there are riots, demonstrations or like in Waco, organizations to be overpowered, they import 'special' police or military units to deal with them. Hardly family or local friends.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

The 2nd protects the 1st.

And look at ANTIFA.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I disagree.

Since it is a specifically delineated Right protected by the Constitution. There would need to be a strong and valid reason brought to a convention to remove it.

Since there are none it will stand on it's own merit. Many Supreme Court rulings have upheld it against superfluous attempts to infringe.
edit on 24-4-2017 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
Look no further than to what is happening in Venezuela as we speak...

Interesting, the same thing occurred in Egypt during the so called "Arab Spring". Millions of people protested, rioted, revolted. Eventually the military squashed it and all those people are arrested, jailed, subdued, or dead.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

The 2nd protects the 1st.

And look at ANTIFA.

again, THIS^ and Venezuela. Two current and obvious reasons behind the rationale of the 2nd amendment.

The core of America's strength in defense is the fact that because of the 2nd Amendment, we are the largest free standing citizen army the world has ever seen. - That's why it was written into the Constitution, and exemplifies the genius of it's authors.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Why do we need the 1st Amendment?

How will you protect your freedom of expression when TV rules the mind, is totally controlled, and the same forces are hell bent on censoring the Internet.

Our liberties are opposed by monolithic beasties. Therefore give them all up. Better yet, cut out the suspense, and just give up and kill yourself now.

RIIIIGHT?????
edit on 24-4-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Intellectual

I agree that we should be able to take on every threat personally, through our own "militia" but it just isn't going to happen. Here's a hypothetical situation:

Nuclear war happens and marshal law takes place. The government sends troops to your town and demands compliance. Instead of going to a FEMA camp you decide to fight back for your families' life. As you ready your assault weapons and order your family to safety, you feel great that you're prepared. Suddenly there's a strong pulse and you're paralyzed. The pain in your ears deafens you as your ear drums shatter. The enemy has a sonic pulse weapon. As you try to reorient and pick up your assault weapon, you are killed or captured.

The bottom line is that our government (and all powerful regimes with money) will have weapons and advanced tactics that we will NEVER be able to fight against. EVER! I challenge anyone to prove me wrong because I'd like to believe it's possible but it's not.

Assault rifles and guns are children's toys compared to the advanced technology of the governments. If I'm wrong please prove it to me with examples and documents. I have posted the the wiki entry on sonic weapons just so you know what exists. I have a lot more documentation if you are interested please let me know. Here is the link
linwww.buzzfeed.com...:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

To defend against a tyrannical government or invading enemy?

This was during the Rodney King riot. the city was trashed, but koreatown survived because they defended their place.

Enemy's both foreign and domestic.

Now we have a new (old) enemy

Communists and anarchists have locked hands and pushed useful idiots in universities to become foot-solder terrorists. Sadly these dumb indoctrinated kids will have to have some of their numbers taken down in order for the latest wave of communists to be shown the door. This isn't a preemptive strike, it is a defensive reaction that will happen as these terrorists become bolder.

Now more than ever the 2nd amendment is relevant sadly. It is to protect yourself from these insane domestic enemys.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MegaScorp20
Intellectual

I agree that we should be able to take on every threat personally, through our own "militia" but it just isn't going to happen. Here's a hypothetical situation:

Nuclear war happens and marshal law takes place. The government sends troops to your town and demands compliance. Instead of going to a FEMA camp you decide to fight back for your families' life. As you ready your assault weapons and order your family to safety, you feel great that you're prepared. Suddenly there's a strong pulse and you're paralyzed. The pain in your ears deafens you as your ear drums shatter. The enemy has a sonic pulse weapon. As you try to reorient and pick up your assault weapon, you are killed or captured.

The bottom line is that our government (and all powerful regimes with money) will have weapons and advanced tactics that we will NEVER be able to fight against. EVER! I challenge anyone to prove me wrong because I'd like to believe it's possible but it's not.

Assault rifles and guns are children's toys compared to the advanced technology of the governments. If I'm wrong please prove it to me with examples and documents. I have posted the the wiki entry on sonic weapons just so you know what exists. I have a lot more documentation if you are interested please let me know. Here is the link
linwww.buzzfeed.com...:

[/quote

You assume the entire US military will comply with Martial law. That will not happen. There are plenty that would defend the Constitutuon, and be on the right side of things. In the end, it doesn't matter if people are out gunned. We have the right to defend. Period. End of story. If people want to cower and live on their knees, that's fine, but don't force or expect everyone to bend over and take it because you would. Besides. Self defense doesn't only apply to government. Therecare plenty of other people to worry about as well. Tyranny is just one example.

edit on 24-4-2017 by Sconnie77 because: Removed extra letters

edit on 24-4-2017 by Sconnie77 because: Added more

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
True--
and let's be honest here:
Any intelligent criminal will know where your firearm is and use it against you.
Any brain-addled or drug-induced criminal will bash your brains in before you can unlock your gun or grab it out of your purse.
The only chance you have in a dire situation will be having proper training and carrying on your person.
And if you are that paranoid about fighting an armed force; good luck anyway--you'll be bleeding on the street with your pistol awaiting another fool to pick up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join